A New World

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I went to an all girls Catholic school, with a nun as headmistress. Detention was the punishment most used, but there was always the threat of the cane for the worst behaviour. It happened rarely, and was administered at assembly in front of the whole school, not behind closed doors. I had detention a few times, but I behaved myself most of the time.

The first time I got corporal punishment was in 1964 off a nun at a convent school in Malta for fighting (quelle surprise). Leather belt.

I went to an all girls Catholic school, with a nun as headmistress. Detention was the punishment most used, but there was always the threat of the cane for the worst behaviour. It happened rarely, and was administered at assembly in front of the whole school, not behind closed doors. I had detention a few times, but I behaved myself most of the time.
Another world to me, this. Madness to instill fear and humiliation into children imo.

When exactly did you turn into the rabble-rousing trouble-maker we know and love then, Mrs. P?

Great. Was worried we were going off topic for a bit there.
Love a Topic. I'd never go off Topic.

33mSt93.jpg

Ban phones? I'd like to see someone try it! I imagine there are some schools where it's done, but equally I reckon many kids find a way around it.
55 years ago I used to have an earphone cable going from the transistor radio in my trouser pocket (they used to be called trannies!), through my blazer sleeve and into my hand, so I could casually listen to stuff in boring maths/history/geography lessons - so I'm sure kids these days can do something similar.
Blazer?

Luxury

I had a string vest and were grateful!

If I was dealing or saw someone dealing with an adult with learning difficulties meaning a mental age of 13 I would be shocked to see them physically punished, I find it weird that some think it's OK to punish children with a (literal) mental age of a 13 year old.

Added to that the amount of repeat offenders in here seem to show it wasn't that effective.

Ban phones? I'd like to see someone try it! I imagine there are some schools where it's done, but equally I reckon many kids find a way around it.
55 years ago I used to have an earphone cable going from the transistor radio in my trouser pocket (they used to be called trannies!), through my blazer sleeve and into my hand, so I could casually listen to stuff in boring maths/history/geography lessons - so I'm sure kids these days can do something similar.
You've reminded me of my old man, so thanks for that.

One of his favorite stories to tell was how he used to sneak a transistor radio and a little earphone into class, and how he listened to the 1965 Indianapolis 500 that way. That was the year of Jim Clark's big win, much to the consternation to my dad (a lifelong AJ Foyt devotee). In his opinion, and he never shied from expressing it, it was only the gearbox and not Clark that beat Foyt that day.

St Mary's in Cheshunt made the boys wear a cap up until& including the 3rd year!!!
Anyone with anything about him personalised the cap in 3 ways:

1. De-bobblising it.

2. Bending the peak into the most severe series of wave-like undulations as possible.

3. Using a dark blue pen to be as creative with the badge as possible.

You never got into trouble for that - only for not wearing one.

Anyone with anything about him personalised the cap in 3 ways:

1. De-bobblising it.

2. Bending the peak into the most severe series of wave-like undulations as possible.

3. Using a dark blue pen to be as creative with the badge as possible.

You never got into trouble for that - only for not wearing one.
At my school there were only ties which people tried to have with as big a knot and small vertical 'hanging bit' as possible. When punk arrived the new thing was smallest knot and skinny look.

At my school there were only ties which people tried to have with as big a knot and small vertical 'hanging bit' as possible. When punk arrived the new thing was smallest knot and skinny look.
The good thing about school caps was that, once debobblised, they were left with a fierce metal spike protruding from the top, which had weapon potential.

Back
Top Bottom