A New World

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ahhh, sweet memories! I don't recall one ever actually hitting me, although I was tagged by flying chalk a few times.
A board rubber could fracture the skull, I reckon.
I remember a maths teacher launching some chalk at someone at the back of the room and someone jumping up and catching it halfway.

This is better than fuckin corrie...

deer popcorn GIF
It's good, but I wouldn't go that far! ;)

I used to get corporal punishment all the time. I was so naughty I eventually got upgraded to sergeant punishment. I had always done something wrong (or against the rules at least) when I got it.

I definitely think it is (and always should be) a thing of the past but can't honestly say it had any long lasting effect on me.
There has to be effective punishment though, I suppose these days, the worst thing you could do is ban phones and social media!

I'll agree with this.Not saying it should be physical.but there needs to be something.Even some of the younger ones in my local laugh at how lapse it was when they went to School.
I went to an all girls Catholic school, with a nun as headmistress. Detention was the punishment most used, but there was always the threat of the cane for the worst behaviour. It happened rarely, and was administered at assembly in front of the whole school, not behind closed doors. I had detention a few times, but I behaved myself most of the time.

I went to an all girls Catholic school, with a nun as headmistress. Detention was the punishment most used, but there was always the threat of the cane for the worst behaviour. It happened rarely, and was administered at assembly in front of the whole school, not behind closed doors. I had detention a few times, but I behaved myself most of the time.
Where i live ,being typical north London there are a lot of Catholics(mainly Irish) and the couple that went to St Ignatius in Enfield(Ahab mentioned it early) had a much stricter regime than the others in their peer group.

There has to be effective punishment though, I suppose these days, the worst thing you could do is ban phones and social media!
Ban phones? I'd like to see someone try it! I imagine there are some schools where it's done, but equally I reckon many kids find a way around it.
55 years ago I used to have an earphone cable going from the transistor radio in my trouser pocket (they used to be called trannies!), through my blazer sleeve and into my hand, so I could casually listen to stuff in boring maths/history/geography lessons - so I'm sure kids these days can do something similar.

Ban phones? I'd like to see someone try it! I imagine there are some schools where it's done, but equally I reckon many kids find a way around it.
55 years ago I used to have an earphone cable going from the transistor radio in my trouser pocket (they used to be called trannies!), through my blazer sleeve and into my hand, so I could casually listen to stuff in boring maths/history/geography lessons - so I'm sure kids these days can do something similar.
Was it still known as “the wireless” back then?

Back
Top Bottom