Adama Traore

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Conte would work on his game.

All those times we've had teams sit and block up, we could have done with this guy attracting 2/3 at a time, disrupting and disturbing their structure, creating holes for others to slip into.

Great tool to have.

Perfect impact sub coming on with 20-25 mins to go against tiring legs

He's started 6 games including European matches from what I can see. No surprise he isn't clocking up high amounts minutes wise, he's a player heavily reliant on explosive speed, once he tires his effectiveness drops off massively. You either use him as an impact sub or you start him but sub him out with 20/30 minutes to go. Dembele replaced him in the pecking order of late but that's no real surprise, when fit and in form he's one of the most dangerous wide players in the world.

I think what he's been so far is what he could've been for us. A useful string to Barca's bow. For us the versatility of being able to use him at WB would've been an extra positive. I do think that role would've been tough on him stamina wise though, but if we were struggling to break a team down? Adama on at WB could've been a really useful option.
My bad, I had his numbers selected on the domestic tab: https://fbref.com/en/players/9a28eba4/all_comps/Adama-Traore-Stats---All-Competitions

He's still not playing full games though, I would prefer we focused on players that can compete for a position and put the other guy under pressure, I'd have Lucas start over him for instance.

His only use is if we are having to sit back and soak up pressure, he's an out ball and can get him us the pitch, but with Conte ball beginning to show its face now, I'd rather us play out from the back with quick one-touch flowing move than have him anywhere relying on him in that move. I don't see him at all useful in trying to break down teams, it's when we are deep he becomes an option I think.

Conte would work on his game.

All those times we've had teams sit and block up, we could have done with this guy attracting 2/3 at a time, disrupting and disturbing their structure, creating holes for others to slip into.

Great tool to have.
I don't see this at all.

Adama always comes of as a flat track bully to me. I don't see him unlocking deep lying defenses at all.

I don't get the hype about this guy at all.

I don't see this at all.

Adama always comes of as a flat track bully to me. I don't see him unlocking deep lying defenses at all.

I don't get the hype about this guy at all.

His best games this season have come against Napoli & Atletico Madrid. His best ever game was where he tore Man City apart. He had numerous games where top six opposition couldn't live with him. Adama is many things, but he is not a flat track bully.

My bad, I had his numbers selected on the domestic tab: https://fbref.com/en/players/9a28eba4/all_comps/Adama-Traore-Stats---All-Competitions

He's still not playing full games though, I would prefer we focused on players that can compete for a position and put the other guy under pressure, I'd have Lucas start over him for instance.

His only use is if we are having to sit back and soak up pressure, he's an out ball and can get him us the pitch, but with Conte ball beginning to show its face now, I'd rather us play out from the back with quick one-touch flowing move than have him anywhere relying on him in that move. I don't see him at all useful in trying to break down teams, it's when we are deep he becomes an option I think.

I think whether he breaks down teams is a toss up tbh, and that's the issue with Adama. It's a coin toss whether he will be unplayable or a hinderance. Sometimes you bring him on late vs a team sitting comfortably and he drags their defence out of position, gives you loads of width and unsettles players. Other times he is the most frustrating player on the planet .. it's why I see him as a useful wildcard type player and why I thought the move for him on a relatively cheap deal was smart.

Now I do think it's probably time to move on. Seems he wasn't overly keen on a WB role and the front 3 is set.

I think whether he breaks down teams is a toss up tbh, and that's the issue with Adama. It's a coin toss whether he will be unplayable or a hinderance. Sometimes you bring him on late vs a team sitting comfortably and he drags their defence out of position, gives you loads of width and unsettles players. Other times he is the most frustrating player on the planet .. it's why I see him as a useful wildcard type player and why I thought the move for him on a relatively cheap deal was smart.

Now I do think it's probably time to move on. Seems he wasn't overly keen on a WB role and the front 3 is set.
I'd honestly use him to carry the ball out the back (dribble) or hoof it into space for him to run onto. Other than he's crap.

Genuinely don't get the obsession with this bloke. He is quick but limited. There is a whole planet full of young committed players with Antonio Conte as manager we can get them. Time to scout some new players truly suited to the game Conte wants to play. Not match and make do. Watching us now even in defeats to Wolves and united you can see a real plans lets fully commit to it.

He's literally played ONE full 90mins since going to them and started just 3 games out of a possible 11 (just 268 mins played from a possible 11 games).
Oh thats because you are literally wrong about those numbers.

Barcelona have played 11 games since he went there and hes started 7 and played as a sub 3 times. So been involved in 10 out of 11 games with a total of 533 minutes. Also got Motm against the likes of AthleticoMadrid and Napoli.

Genuinely don't get the obsession with this bloke. He is quick but limited. There is a whole planet full of young committed players with Antonio Conte as manager we can get them. Time to scout some new players truly suited to the game Conte wants to play. Not match and make do. Watching us now even in defeats to Wolves and united you can see a real plans lets fully commit to it.
Bit of an understatement… he’s the best dribbler on the planet per most stats.

Like most pacy players, he’s better with space but unlike many speedsters he’s actually quite a decent dribbler against teams sitting back.

He’s flawed but it’s also a lazy assumption to claim he’s a counter attacking speed merchant just because he’s fast (not saying you but others on here seem to claim he’s useless).

Pointless discussion as he’s doing well for Barca and won’t come here.

Bit of an understatement… he’s the best dribbler on the planet per most stats.

Like most pacy players, he’s better with space but unlike many speedsters he’s actually quite a decent dribbler against teams sitting back.

He’s flawed but it’s also a lazy assumption to claim he’s a counter attacking speed merchant just because he’s fast (not saying you but others on here seem to claim he’s useless).

Pointless discussion as he’s doing well for Barca and won’t come here.

Yeah I think there's a bit of a harsh narrative around Adama. I get not rating him, his decision making is subpar, and he's not a good finisher. But the way people talk about him you'd think pace was his sole asset and all he can do is run in straight lines. His dribbling is elite, and the rest of his technical skillset is very strong too.

If this wasn't the case, does anyone really think Xavi would be giving him the time of day? Someone re-implementing a tiki taka style and who values technical ability above all else. Adama is a very technically gifted player who also has some standout physical traits, but lacks in terms of end product. He's not some limited kick and run type.

Yeah I think there's a bit of a harsh narrative around Adama. I get not rating him, his decision making is subpar, and he's not a good finisher. But the way people talk about him you'd think pace was his sole asset and all he can do is run in straight lines. His dribbling is elite, and the rest of his technical skillset is very strong too.

If this wasn't the case, does anyone really think Xavi would be giving him the time of day? Someone re-implementing a tiki taka style and who values technical ability above all else. Adama is a very technically gifted player who also has some standout physical traits, but lacks in terms of end product. He's not some limited kick and run type.
I hope all his admirers have many happy years to come of watching him for......................

Barcelona

His best games this season have come against Napoli & Atletico Madrid. His best ever game was where he tore Man City apart. He had numerous games where top six opposition couldn't live with him. Adama is many things, but he is not a flat track bully.

But he's definitely not the type of player to unpick a deep block. He's only effective when a game is stretched and his team are countering and he gets to isolate players and get a run at them - especially in the latter part of games when legs get tired. That can be against teams of all qualities who are invariably pressing forward and leaving defenders a bit exposed.

Oh thats because you are literally wrong about those numbers.

Barcelona have played 11 games since he went there and hes started 7 and played as a sub 3 times. So been involved in 10 out of 11 games with a total of 533 minutes. Also got Motm against the likes of AthleticoMadrid and Napoli.

In the league he's only started 3 out of 7.

Same story at Wolves. Started 10 out of 21.

It's hardly a ringing endorsement. Barca were furious with Dembele for not signing a contract and signed Traore in the hop that they could sideline Dembele, but Dembele is so much better it's not worked out that way.

That settles it then but seriously if Conte wants him it must mean that he thinks that he can do a job for us so let’s see what he thinks and back him
On a serious note, I just don’t see it. Conte is extremely pragmatic. He see’s football in the most extremely simplistic way. I can see what he might envision with Traore’s potential. But I don’t believe in Traore’s intrinsic ability to deliver it.

That said, if he goes for it, I support it and him 100%. He (Antonio) is this stupid football clubs biggest hope for realising its
potential.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom