Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
I'd rather we only played one winger, Townsend, plus Lamela more central. Let Andros move from side to side and also get into the box more. Bale became so much better when he was given a free role that included getting into the box. He started scoring goals like the one against Woolwich to help us beat them.

To me the front 6 I'd like to see a lot would be from these 7, Sandro Capoue Paulinho Holtby Townsend Lamela Soldado. Against City I'd rest Paulo from those 7. Tromso all change then against Utd bring back Paulo, rest one of the others.

Naturally, things won't work out like that. But regardless, unless you have two outstanding wingers, then I prefer beefing up the mid at the expense of a winger. We have Walker and hopefully Rose to give width on the wings.

So that car accident stuff was all a bullshit windup then?

Definitely not a wind-up. Happened in Hendon last night.
Presume the fact that nothing has come out, means nothing really to report.
Would assume if charged with anything, or even injured we would all know about it by now.

Not sure what the hype is all about, he does look flashy however he has little end product and ruins our game by constantly having a go at goal whenever there is even the slightest of room. Not sure what AVB thinks about Townsend but I'm assuming he is pleased in relation to the way he is playing because if he wasn't he wouldn't be playing, would we?

I think the inverted wingers thing has already gone stale... other teams have sussed it, and it wasn't exactly reaping dividends before they had!

Working with a bread analogy (its been a long week!) I dont think the loaf is fully baked yet, let alone had time to go stale...

We havent actually "done" the inverted wingers thing 100% yet, not by a long stretch. And in my imagination when I think of how it can work I find it very exciting. Im certainly not thinking we should give it up.

Runners from midfield, fullback and wingers doubling up on defenders, space being created with bodies forward... Sounds really good to me. The question should be more, imo, how can we make it 'click' sooner?

Im still quite convinced we arent too far away from it. We are missing the forward passes, the bravery with the ball... Otherwise all the pieces are in place IMHO.

Want him to stay.
Been at the club since a boy and shows mass potential.
Once he is put on the left and starts providing assists, he will cement that position

Hello btw! New member to the forum...

We need him. He's ours and he's special. He just needs to cut out the cutting inside and the speculative shot.

Probably the best English lw. Although Milner works harder to make the most use of his abilities.

Agreed. We've hemorrhaged enough of our English talent as is, and the fella's going nowhere but up from here. Provides an element to our squad that no other player does.

Working with a bread analogy (its been a long week!) I dont think the loaf is fully baked yet, let alone had time to go stale...

We havent actually "done" the inverted wingers thing 100% yet, not by a long stretch. And in my imagination when I think of how it can work I find it very exciting. Im certainly not thinking we should give it up.

Runners from midfield, fullback and wingers doubling up on defenders, space being created with bodies forward... Sounds really good to me. The question should be more, imo, how can we make it 'click' sooner?

Agreed. Our inverted wingers did not play as winger let alone inverted ones under AVB.

Rather they played like inverted 442 wide midfielders always getting the ball to feet and thus always having to start back or side to opposition goal, having to beat the first man from standing still, just to be allowed to turn towards opposition goal. Many times they spent entire games running across the field, not just across the defence 4 but also the midfield 4. That is NOT the way to play inverted wingers, the whole idea is for them to get the ball at pace, beeing isolated with the fullback and getting inside of him yet outside of the centrebacks, aligned towards goal, their inside better foot allowing a better finish angle.

AVB definately didn't manage to get that working and the players didn't believe him either.

I think the inverted wingers thing has already gone stale... other teams have sussed it, and it wasn't exactly reaping dividends before they had!
Lennon & Townsend strike me as simple players (not in the Kyle Walker sense) who need to play to a simple system.
Granted, Lamela and Chadli give the impression of being more technically adaptable (maybe it's their exotic tans) but if Lamela is still struggling with language, then taking instruction isn't going to be second nature just yet...
I say get back to 2 orthodox wingers for now, play to strengths, and then when we're riding high at the top of the league come New Year, with a very healthy +25 GD, then piss about with the formations!!

You have a good point, and one I have spouted on about for years. Footballers are not the cleverest people on the planet, and by confusing them with over complicated tactics, and restricting their need to express themselves, will only ever result in tears. This is the reason the football was so attractive under Harry, and so damn boring under AVB. In my opinion a managers job is 80% motivation, and 20% tactics.

I don't agree with that.

Tactics, understanding it and implementing it is important, for footballers as well as other team athletes.

As for AVB he didn't as much overtacticalise things as just play the wrong tactics. His inverted wingers were not working, midfield moved the ball too slowly, too few runners from deep, too poor pressing outside either box (and we are still too poor at that btw) and high line wasn't comprehendble for defenders not injured.

As for Harry there is a bunch of revisionism going round. Has people forgotten us being dicked around for half a season?

Some of the worlds best teams and most exciting teams like Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, Bayern Münich, Juventus, AS Roma and so forth at built on solid tactical concepts. Suggesting these players are allowed to run around 80% of the time is overly simplictistic, it is a supporters pipedream (probably to delude ourselves we too could do the job, mentally) and most of all it is plain wrong.

Back
Top Bottom