Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
I'm a big Townsend fan, still think he'll come good. Has nothing to do with him being a Spurs lad, as I've made it well known on here how I feel about Kane. I think he's got all the skills to succeed, but has just had a bit too many paychological factors that have ended up working against him. It is clear as day that kid wants so very badly to be a star for club and country. He wants it for his upbringing, his dad, the people that have known him since birth, and himself. He tasted all the glory in a very short timespan. Successful Prem loan, Spurs starter, England national team media darling. So much in a short time. But he got it all in his head too early before jumping a few more hurdles in his game, and I think he's struggling to come back from this injury as a result. Needs to slow down and humble himself, and then he can go on and rebuild from there to achieve his goals.
I'm not too concerned about his personal ambition (which IMO seems to be at odds with THFC's) but now, at the hard end of the season, can we afford any more experimentation with the team? We've been fucking around all season, trying different formations, stroking players's egos, but now we have to settle on our best team, and see what we can achieve.

I think he'd come good with a potential to be a star. That said the LW we just saw was much, much better and for maybe only 10m more. If the right bid came in I would consider selling him. That doesn't mean I would openly attempt to transfer him, but I would listen to offers.

I'm not too concerned about his personal ambition (which IMO seems to be at odds with THFC's) but now, at the hard end of the season, can we afford any more experimentation with the team? We've been fucking around all season, trying different formations, stroking players's egos, but now we have to settle on our best team, and see what we can achieve.

I certainly would not argue with this. If any player is not performing there is no merit past or future that should keep him on the pitch. My point is merely to defend the player's reputation, not advocate undeserved playing time.

Any more performances like that and he should be off to Brazil.....

To see if he needs a co-host for his radio show
d725621f2e569ef8069099e2e9caaf46_reasonably_small.jpeg

I've always supported him but he needs to start playing for the TEAM. He was horseshit last night. Someone needs to have a word with him and tell him it's not all about him, or he's going to end up alienating himself from the other players.

I've always supported him but he needs to start playing for the TEAM. He was horseshit last night. Someone needs to have a word with him and tell him it's not all about him, or he's going to end up alienating himself from the other players.
Agree wholeheartedly. He's undoubtedly got some raw talent but he's got A LOT to learn.

Poor display last night, very selfish play and terrible decision making. Someone seriously needs to tell him he's not Robben or Ronaldo and to stop these selfish, speculative long-range shots, and create something for the TEAM.
I can't be alone in getting seriously fucked off every time he ballons one over the bar or tamely drives one straight at the keeper.

Does not have the mental ability to ever be a top tier player, and as we consider ourself an aspiring top teir club(if not already) he won't and should not be in the first team. Could be an ok option to have, but I'd prefer someone with a bit more guile and cunning.

Yeah, he's looked very stressed to take his chance and make it in the club. They need to make him understand that he needs to calm down and by doing that he'd be more likely to succeed here.

Such a frustrating player. I can just about understand players being selfish if they're strikers, or have the shot success rate of Bale, but Townsend seems to think that causing 200 moves to break down is OK as long as there's a chance one of them goes in.

Ginola was spot on about his end product. He could be an exciting player if he cuts out the car park balls.

We should really sell him on.highly overated just like andy carroll,a few good games and the media declare him the next best thing. these players wont bring us foward. sick of hearing about potential..these guys are men not kids,the time to produce is NOW

I hope he comes good, he is Spurs for all i know, something that can't be said about Bale or other mercenaries. The fact that he is really trying to give his all at this club should be appreciated, would be gutted if we sold him.

think we all want him to come good, as his love for the club is totally sincere, but don't know if he is the complete article. But doing all those little tricks and fancy footwork is self indulgent - "look at me" - we need an end product. Think it was the worst thing for him to play for England and score that goal, as people expect him to do it all the time.

I agree with most or the criticisms of his game but I think the idea he needs to be sold is ludicrous. The guy has only started 26 premier league games. He is extremely inexperienced even if it feels like he's been around forever.

I think a lot is being made of one poor game in the Ukraine which was his first start after injury. He was quite good in his sub appearance against Newcastle and was unlucky not to score.

I'm slightly concerned about him just because his mentality currently is quite poor. But with his age and experience he certainly deserves at least another year to show us what he's got. If we're still having these same conversations at the end of next season that's when I'll be really worried. As of now I think he is still learning at the PL level and should be afforded that.

Just needs someone to tell him he can't be shooting all the time. I think he's quality coming down the left.

Saddened that people want to see him sold.

I agree. I think the way to cure him is to put him on the left for awhile. Much less temptation to shoot and hopefully it will allow him to focus on his best skill which is beating a man. He looked much better against Dnipro in the second half when he switched with Chadli and was put on the left. Unfortunately he got knackered quickly since it was his first game back.

The thing for me is how many guys have the speed and dribbling ability of Townsend? There aren't too many guys out there who can beat a man like Townsend can. It's a rare trait. He's very raw as a footballer though and needs to be molded. Hopefully whoever is coaching at Tottenham can develop him properly.

I agree. I think the way to cure him is to put him on the left for awhile. Much less temptation to shoot and hopefully it will allow him to focus on his best skill which is beating a man. He looked much better against Dnipro in the second half when he switched with Chadli and was put on the left. Unfortunately he got knackered quickly since it was his first game back.

The thing for me is how many guys have the speed and dribbling ability of Townsend? There aren't too many guys out there who can beat a man like Townsend can. It's a rare trait. He's very raw as a footballer though and needs to be molded. Hopefully whoever is coaching at Tottenham can develop him properly.
I've been on this wagon too. If he's to play, play him on the left. He hasn't got a right peg so it will stop him shooting so much and encourage crossing.

I find him on the Pienaar level of football, will do well at upper mid-table teams, but we're trying for something above that and to do that you need cunning, something he lacks in abundance. We already have a one-dimensional winger in Lennon, we really don't need another.

Much better from him today. Great cross to Soldado ( which he unfortunately didn't score) before he was subbed off. Would like to see him starting over Lennon.

Back
Top Bottom