Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
Wouldn't have minded Lennon coming on at SOME point though!
The wave of negativity that swept through the ground when Eriksen got taken off coulda been totally avoided had Chadli or Bentaleb gone instead!
Timmy needs to judge a mood of the crowd as much as anything.... Tactically, Siggy provided absolutely nothing different.... At least Lennon is a 'crowd pleaser'...
Anyway, this was about Townsend wasn't it?
I think him and Chadli need reminding there was a game on today... Let alone against THE ARSE!!!

He was decent today but his end product is sooooo awful. Still want him starting over Lennon though because at least he can shoot and is not stupidly predictable like Lennon.

That is what he always does. Looks top notch until the final ball, cross or shot.

IMO it's not a case of him or Lennon, it's a case of selling them and dropping the curse of old school wing play at spurs that has kept is out of the title hunt for over half a century.

Wouldn't have minded Lennon coming on at SOME point though!
The wave of negativity that swept through the ground when Eriksen got taken off coulda been totally avoided had Chadli or Bentaleb gone instead!
Timmy needs to judge a mood of the crowd as much as anything.... Tactically, Siggy provided absolutely nothing different.... At least Lennon is a 'crowd pleaser'...
Anyway, this was about Townsend wasn't it?
I think him and Chadli need reminding there was a game on today... Let alone against THE ARSE!!!

There is little difference between Lennon and Townsend. Townsend seems to want it more I suppose. Both make us soft down the flanks and offer little in the final third and compound attacking in general (including attacking set pieces)

I thought his end product was ok yesterday. Put it on a plate for Chadli. He was our most positive player, not saying much, and worked well with Naughton.

Anytime I see him, he puts one or two decent crosses into the 6 yard box area which we should score from. Don't understand the hate he gets. Like every player his age, and especially one returning from an injury, he needs games. The season is over, so I'd like to see him get that now.

Id give him a full season as a LW and LW only. He will get loads of experience from that and settle into performing regularly. He will alos be schooled into providing more and being selfish less.
Once he does the business there (as I expect he would) and has more experience, more nous, Id then look at moving him RW/elsewhere to round off his game.
Its like we are trying to get him to run before he can walk. Development takes time and care.

Townie was one of our better players v ars..
Quick ran at them some crosses ok, offered more than Lennon would have.
Linked well with Naughton, i'd be pleased to see both start against Benfica.

I understand that sometimes the inverted wingers tactic works wonders. But in the case of yesterday when you had Townsend right wing cutting in, Eriksen left wing but drifting infield all the time and Chadli in an unfamiliar central attacking mid role all you are going to see happen is 3 players playing in the exact same areas with no out ball. The team yesterday should have had Townsend or Chadli out on the left getting down the wing, stretching play, causing and already booked Sagna to commit to tackles and more importantly backing up Rose (which is something Eriksen is yet to effectively do). I do rate Andros as a decent player / very promising youngster, but i think we should play him on the left until, as a team, we can move the ball faster up the pitch to exploit gaps in the middle.

Bags of potential in Andros. I agree with those who've pointed out he needs games.

End-product wise, it's hard to judge as our movement generally, off the ball, has been crap. With limited options and world class defenders closing you down, it must be hard.

It's easy to forget that Bale took time to sort himself out and needed the right players and movement around him before he had a positive impact.

The inverted winger thing with Townsend doesn't really stack up. He can go in or outside and cross and shoot with either foot.

He seemed more confident and controlled in his play against Woolwich. I hope that it's a sign that he's working on his weaknesses.

Decision-making continues to be AT's biggest problem.

He is always looking to take his defender 1v1 and sometimes a quick, simple pass is the much better option

But I did like what I saw overall from him vs Woolwich and he clearly needs a strong manager here to aid in his evolution

IMO zero prem assists from a winger who will be 23 in the summer is criminal. None of his prem shots at goal have gone in and he had over 50.

I don't know why we are still talking about potential. Almost everything he does is a negative apart from dribbling. He needs to go. If he has a razzle dazzle world cup we should cash in.

Homegrown player, supported the club. Keep him around.

Players don't come fully packaged, we'll have to work with him. He's spent most of his career having 10 game loan spells up and down the country, he needs coaching. Some of that understanding comes with time.

IMO zero prem assists from a winger who will be 23 in the summer is criminal. None of his prem shots at goal have gone in and he had over 50.

I don't know why we are still talking about potential. Almost everything he does is a negative apart from dribbling. He needs to go. If he has a razzle dazzle world cup we should cash in.
Actually, according to Squawka, he only has 36 shots in the PL and does have a goal. I think your point that his performances are still way underwhelming stands, but he does have two goals to his name at least with one the PL.

Actually, according to Squawka, he only has 36 shots in the PL and does have a goal. I think your point that his performances are still way underwhelming stands, but he does have two goals to his name at least with one the PL.

Squawka get it wrong often. Apparently Lennon has a 100% strike accuracy rate. lol

http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/132432/andros-townsend?cc=5901

I said none of his prem shots went in. His prem goal was a cross.
Townsend1.gif

Not only are they some very dodgy stats but it clearly disregards how good he was in the Woolwich game. He had one single shot, beat his man every time and created several good chances. And the statement 'If he has a razzle dazzle world cup we should cash in' is ridiculous. Getting rid of a really good winger who genuinely cares about the club and has the potential to be brilliant would be an incredibly stupid move.

I said none of his prem shots went in. His prem goal was a cross.
Townsend1.gif

Yes but it's only because it was an absolutely fantastic cross that it went in, both Holtby appeared to dummy it, if he hadn't I'm sure it would have been an assist.

Not only are they some very dodgy stats but it clearly disregards how good he was in the Woolwich game.

You can say that for his ENTIRE season. He LOOKS good but nothing ever comes of it in the prem.

He gets to the gainline, he's beaten his man: He'll often pick the wrong option, scuff it or meltdown in some other way. Same goes for Lennon.

IMO we are wasting time nurturing him. He'll turn into Lennon...We will keep on waiting for the penny to drop.

Eriksen, Lamela, Holtby are worth sticking with because they have something that Townsend has never had in his entire career. A history of scoring and creating at a top level.

Look at your avatar. Under AVB it can be said that Townsend was the main focus for attack and creativity. What did it do for Soldado? Because up until now, getting fed by Townsend or Lennon has ruined his reputation. Wasting time on players like him can impact others game. What else happened? Lamela was fit. AVB let him rot and played Townsend. I know damn well that Lamela in his wost form would have done better than Townsends pathetic return this season.

IMO AVB, Tim and Townsend are the main reasons St Totteringhams day will happen this season. Makes me sick. Flashy empty players like Townsend has been a curse at this club.

Last edited:
Yes but it's only because it was an absolutely fantastic cross that it went in, both Holtby appeared to dummy it, if he hadn't I'm sure it would have been an assist.

While you are talking about what if's, players like the scum are saying the same thing. It's not like they don't have buildup that almost get turned into goals.

They have something else too. Those fuckers have an assload of ACTUAL goals and assists.

Back
Top Bottom