ARE WE GOING TO FINISH TOP HALF THIS SEASON?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really don’t think City fans will agree with you mate when Sergio Aguero banged that last second winner to clinch the premier league. It was delirium in the City stadium that day. Chelsea fans certainly won’t agree with you when they saw Didier Drogba score the penalty to win the CL. We could only wish to have that sort of success as Spurs fans right now. I certainly won’t be complaining if Spurs did it the City/Chelsea way, as it means I could potentially see my club be successful for once. Spurs have never tasted proper success once in my lifetime and I’m desperate to see some sort of success with this club. The long suffering supporters deserve it.
And a few years later there was ten people dancing outside the ground

I’ve been a pub with Chelsea fans when they clinched a title after years and years of the novelty wearing off.
It was truly embarrassing the lack of fucks given.

Last edited:
Do people seriously think we are turning up against City in that league cup final?

:mourfacepalm:

In a one off game, sure anything is possible.

Kane certainly could win the game on his own, Lloris can still steal a game we don't deserve and their is the hope that like last year in the FA Cup they don't show up or care about another trophy after all the winning they have done, although that may be less likely in a final.

I think it is likely 70/30 in favor of City winning but that is the beauty of our sweet heart draw, we have had to do basically nothing and can still backdoor our way into a "Cup" win.

Growing sense that a narrative is being spun that if we win the cup it will be an underserved steal.

So shall we do the same for our rivals in the PL this season too?

Plenty of games we “should” have won but for a world class save, two centimeters onto a post or crossbar, dodgy hairline offside, corner that wasn’t a corner, soft free kick against, red card challenge not punished, penalty not going to VAR etc etc etc

No that’s right, because only the result matters

Well we could always pay Kane 60k a week instead
But if you'd be happy with top 8 and the expectations that come with it then we don't need Kane and players of that calibre. We'd be better off selling him along with our star players AND reducing ticket prices to match our level.

Is that what you want?

Depends. A couple of defeats on the bounce and some player unrest will hopefully see him gone before next weekend, which gives someone a platform to turn it around whilst we are still in the mix for top 6

Growing sense that a narrative is being spun that if we win the cup it will be an underserved steal.

So shall we do the same for our rivals in the PL this season too?

Plenty of games we “should” have won but for a world class save, two centimeters onto a post or crossbar, dodgy hairline offside, corner that wasn’t a corner, soft free kick against, red card challenge not punished, penalty not going to VAR etc etc etc

No that’s right, because only the result matters
A few years ago when I argued that we'd improved under Poch in the league (when he got 4th) you argued he didn't improve on Arry cos he also got 4th. I pointed out the changes in competitiveness in the league (undeniable) and you refused to consider context.
Now you're saying it's not just results that matter.

But if you'd be happy with top 8 and the expectations that come with it then we don't need Kane and players of that calibre. We'd be better off selling him along with our star players AND reducing ticket prices to match our level.

Is that what you want?
The thing is.......we have players of Kane’s ability.
It’s not me claiming we will finish mid table though....I’ve said we will finish top 4 and win a trophy, so the real question for those who feel we are truly shit is:

Don’t you think that our best players are massively overrated and/or underperforming

The thing is.......we have players of Kane’s ability.
It’s not me claiming we will finish mid table though....I’ve said we will finish top 4 and win a trophy, so the real question for those who feel we are truly shit is:

Don’t you think that our best players are massively overrated and/or underperforming
No. Kane has smashed goal scoring records, even beating Ronaldo and Messi. He has done it in every tournament. Him and Son are literally 2 of the most clinical players in Europe.

The problem is that the rest of the team is overrated. The non stars. Where we should have A or B level players we have C or D level players it's that simple.

Salah and Mane didn't become amazing overnight. Alison and vam Dijk were bought to strengthen weak links.
Kyle Walker didn't go from overrated to winner- he just had more quality around him.

You know it makes sense.

A few years ago when I argued that we'd improved under Poch in the league (when he got 4th) you argued he didn't improve on Arry cos he also got 4th. I pointed out the changes in competitiveness in the league (undeniable) and you refused to consider context.
Now you're saying it's not just results that matter.
Well it’s results that determine where you finish.
If we win a cup and finish top 4, it doesn’t mean that was because the opposition was shit, we got lucky or that suddenly we started playing like Brazil.

It just means that results count, and playing the way we do has been more successful than it has unsuccessful.
If you don’t believe me, look at the table, and our cup situations.

I actually said that Poch marginally improved on Arry, not that he didn’t improve us.

If Jose wins the Carabou and finishes top 4, that will be in essence a marginal improvement on Poch, but our reality is that any trophy represents a gigantic step forward.

Should he win a cup and finish 5th, I’ll take that too. A cup double and 6th, all day long.

If one of those cups is the EL, I’d be disappointed to finish below 6th, but I’d still happily take it.

The notion Jose should walk because people don’t like the football is silly. If we were playing exhilarating football but were in the EXACT same position results wise in all competitions, people would be absolutely buzzing.

The notion Jose should walk because people don’t like the football is silly. If we were playing exhilarating football but were in the EXACT same position results wise in all competitions, people would be absolutely buzzing.
It's not silly. It's the whole point of watching 90 minute plus matches several times a week for most of the year.
Slowly people are starting to realise what really matters now that they've seen with "win at all costs" looks like.

You say you wouldn't want us to be like City.
I agree. I'll add to that that I also wouldn't want us to play boring dull football and win everything all the time. It's not fun to watch.

Join us romantics

No. Kane has smashed goal scoring records, even beating Ronaldo and Messi. He has done it in every tournament. Him and Son are literally 2 of the most clinical players in Europe.

The problem is that the rest of the team is overrated. The non stars. Where we should have A or B level players we have C or D level players it's that simple.
But.
You said it’s Jose’s fault for his tactics yet here you point out that Son and Kane are the best in Europe (I’m assuming the set up has enabled this) and that the rest of the team are C and D level players.

So why should Jose be beating Liverpool and having us run riot?

It's not silly. It's the whole point of watching 90 minute plus matches several times a week for most of the year.
Slowly people are starting to realise what really matters now that they've seen with "win at all costs" looks like.

You say you wouldn't want us to be like City.
I agree. I'll add to that that I also wouldn't want us to play boring dull football and win everything all the time. It's not fun to watch.

Join us romantics
Told you the other week that this club needs a trophy first and foremost and the pretty football can come later.

Pretty football won’t keep Kane here, so if we win something like this, which as I said I think we will, then so be it.

But.
You said it’s Jose’s fault for his tactics yet here you point out that Son and Kane are the best in Europe (I’m assuming the set up has enabled this) and that the rest of the team are C and D level players.

The absolute worst thing that happened to us this season was going top of the league. Raised expectations to unrealistic levels, including my own. I thought we had a chance to win the thing when it is now obvious we don’t, as a number of the players aren’t capable. But it seems because we made it there once, we have a god given right to turn everyone over.

And it seems that no matter how many weird results are happening this season, we expect to be immune from that because we charge high ticket prices and pay Levy a lot. That’s what’s truly odd.

I can’t confirm my thoughts on this as it hasn’t happened, but I don’t think I’d be any more or less satisfied with this season if we reduced ticket prices by a tenner a match and Levy’s salary by a couple of hundred grand a year. Not sure why that would change anyone’s satisfaction about our results or how we are playing, but bonnets need bees I suppose.

Salah and Mane didn't become amazing overnight. Alison and vam Dijk were bought to strengthen weak links.
Kyle Walker didn't go from overrated to winner- he just had more quality around him.

You know it makes sense.
Agree with the C and D players, but you can’t ignore this is compounded by the way the manager has set us up - which compounds the pressure on the weaker defensive players

But.

I've explained this in a few places but simply-

The squad needs investment to compete at the top. Specifically strengthening the weak points to support the stars.

As it stands now, and as it stood before, the squad is nowhere near good enough due to the weaknesses.

HOWEVER. Exceptionally talented managers can get more out of the squad as proven by Poch who came as close as you can get to winning the biggest prize in football after numerous top 4s and title challenges. He overperformed and instead of rebuilding like we needed and he deserved we sacked him- THAT is what set the standard. Top 4 and a CL final after 1.5 yrs no spending became the standard.

Jose with the same group of players failed to overachieve like Poch did last season (he accepted coming in midway to salvage top 4 and win a cup).
Jose said he loved the squad and signed 9 players. Levy and Jose set the standards not me. I'm just consistently applying them.

Literal dogshit football to shithouse a league cup and miss top 4 would be epic failure.

Back
Top Bottom