ARE WE GOING TO FINISH TOP HALF THIS SEASON?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Let’s see....20 years ago we didn’t miss many opportunities to be honest. We actually went from mid table to regular EL football in about three seasons, thanks to the Jol years.

Like then, our fan base had decided we were somehow a massive club and Jol needed to go now and he’d taken us as far as he could.

He was fired. Many fans thought the manner he was fired was despicable but the decision was correct.

We appointed one of Europe’s most sought after and presently successful managers.
He won us a trophy.

Then we appointed Arry in order to stop the rot. He took us to 4th. 8 years from Levys arrival, we were in the CL.

Then the fans wanted Arrys head. We’d “outgrown him”.
Levy gave the fans AVB and they were delighted.

It went to shit, and he gave us Poch.
The fans loved him and still do.

Then it went to shit and he hired one of the most successful managers in the history of the game.

The story here seems to be that Levy gave the fans what they wanted in most cases, then after deciding in hindsight it wasn’t very good, they feel Levy should walk.
Serious question.. do you think it's possible to break into that elite level without a sugar daddy owner like the chavs and city, who are willing to spend outrageous money on wages/transfers? I mean we've spent fairly big but with outgoings that more or less balanced the books. I think it's a rare thing to really compete at the top without it, and i'd say we were close with Poch and but for lack of signings might have pushed through.

I would say Levy has done a decent job and the club has grown in stature over the last 15 years, but we do seem to have hit a bit of a glass ceiling under the current model in the last few years.

Admittedly got an amazing new stadium built, but you only have to look at the scum to see that doesn't guarantee you footballing progression.

I was pretty optimistic on a CL spot up until a couple of weeks ago. If Woolwich wins today they are level on points with us and they have been complete shit all year. What does that make us??

Serious question.. do you think it's possible to break into that elite level without a sugar daddy owner like the chavs and city, who are willing to spend outrageous money on wages/transfers? I mean we've spent fairly big but with outgoings that more or less balanced the books. I think it's a rare thing to really compete at the top without it, and i'd say we were close with Poch and but for lack of signings might have pushed through.

I would say Levy has done a decent job and the club has grown in stature over the last 15 years, but we do seem to have hit a bit of a glass ceiling under the current model in the last few years.

Admittedly got an amazing new stadium built, but you only have to look at the scum to see that doesn't guarantee you footballing progression.
Yes, if we stopped trying to run our business like those clubs and ran it like a Dortmund.

We have players like dier and dele that may have sold for a lot at one point but we held on to them and now they are deadweight. If you want to compete without spending 100+ million a year, you need to be able to sell high and buy to develop.

Personally I’d rather just be another top 8 team with the occasional cup win and CL/EL campaign than be like City

I dread a scenario like I’ve seen at Chelsea and City, where winning a title is met with little more than a “hooray” and polite clap because it’s so normal and expected and you spent 1bn in the summer

Serious question.. do you think it's possible to break into that elite level without a sugar daddy owner like the chavs and city, who are willing to spend outrageous money on wages/transfers
I

Of course it is.

We did it in the past with Poch, Leicester has done it when they won and this year. Liverpool does not have a sugar daddy owner.

It may be tougher and you have to make smart decisions, but decision making has been a bigger issue for us than just money.

We need to stop falling in love with our own players and be willing to move guys on.

The Dele situation is a clear example of this. We have a player who is not playing, who is clearly not going to play under our current manager and has some value. Instead of moving on from him we see Levy humming and hawing potentially resulting in him sitting on the bench for the next 6 months rather than going out and getting playing time or getting money we could use for a player that can help us. We need to stop falling in love with guys and what they have done and move on from them when they clearly aren't helping us anymore- Lamela, Moura, Dele, Winks. Sissoko.

I was pretty optimistic on a CL spot up until a couple of weeks ago. If Woolwich wins today they are level on points with us and they have been complete shit all year. What does that make us??
That makes us shit as well I suppose. We have been shit in most of our games this season.

0-0 draw Woolwich v Man U.

Personally I’d rather just be another top 8 team with the occasional cup win and CL/EL campaign than be like City

I dread a scenario like I’ve seen at Chelsea and City, where winning a title is met with little more than a “hooray” and polite clap because it’s so normal and expected and you spent 1bn in the summer

Nope sorry disagree. There must be a middle ground. If mediocrity is the new expectation that is pretty depressing.

That's an interesting take. While at the same time being happy to defend us charging the highest ticket prices in Europe and paying the the highest boardroom salaries in England.

:sonhmm:

Very interesting

Thats 33 years. 20 of which have been under ENIC. Yet you said this just yesterday!

:mourfacepalm:
Yeah I did say that and explained why after

Someone described my view of being a top 8 team with the odd trophy and CL run being preferable to being another PSG as “mediocre”.

That was the context of what I’ve said.
I’m not trying to trick you John.

Well we could always pay Kane 60k a week instead
What a strange remark.

Just curious why someone would be happy for us to plod along as a top 8 team while charging the highest ticket prices in Europe and paying the highest boardroom salaries in England........

And this is how you reply!

It wasn't a trick question mate. Just trying to understand your mindset.

What a strange remark.

Just curious why someone would be happy for us to plod along as a top 8 team while charging the highest ticket prices in Europe and paying the highest boardroom salaries in England........

And this is how you reply!

It wasn't a trick question mate. Just trying to understand your mindset.
Top 8 team with the odd trophy and CL run was what I said though. Not just top 8 team.

My mindset is that I genuinely don’t care how much the board earn and aren’t shocked that the Directors of multi million pound companies get rich off it

By the same token I don’t expect Kane to take a pay cut because he didn’t win anything, so we can sell cheaper tickets

Top 8 team with the odd trophy and CL run was what I said though. Not just top 8 team.

My mindset is that I genuinely don’t care how much the board earn and aren’t shocked that the Directors of multi million pound companies get rich off it

By the same token I don’t expect Kane to take a pay cut because he didn’t win anything, so we can sell cheaper tickets
Get the players who are performing under their value to take a paycut. :p

Kane is worth even more than he gets in this market.

(I know this has nothing to do with anything)

Ok.

Just seems odd that while we act like an elite club when it comes to CEO salaries and ticket prices etc, your happy for us to achieve like a second rate club on the pitch.

I suppose every club has a few quirky fans like this

Really don’t think City fans will agree with you mate when Sergio Aguero banged that last second winner to clinch the premier league. It was delirium in the City stadium that day. Chelsea fans certainly won’t agree with you when they saw Didier Drogba score the penalty to win the CL. We could only wish to have that sort of success as Spurs fans right now. I certainly won’t be complaining if Spurs did it the City/Chelsea way, as it means I could potentially see my club be successful for once. Spurs have never tasted proper success once in my lifetime and I’m desperate to see some sort of success with this club. The long suffering supporters deserve it.

Back
Top Bottom