BOXING DAY BEATDOWN TOTTENHAM AWAY v relegation fodder

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

with all due respect that's absolute pure and utter bollocks mate

he has one of the best defensive work rates in the team and is one of the few guys we got who actually fully understands what Poch wants and how we need to press them high up, problem is other players around him don't back him up at the right times. On the attacking side he sees things way earlier than others at times and his team mates need to learn how to follow his vision when attacking. Lamela is a diamond, him and Eriksen are huge talents, Kane too.
Looks to me like he can't challenge without fouling and is always on the wrong side of the ball.

i jujued the shit out of this match thread :eriksenlol:

voodoo-witch-doctor-2.png
I 'd definitely love to get 'jujued'.

Just saving ourselves for Sunday lads dont fret. We played a bit shite but at least we did what we had to. Playing away from home on boxing day in the shitty weather is a tall order for an inexperienced Spurs side who are still finding their way.

At least we showed today that we can battle and grind out a result when we need to, no matter how ugly.

Roll on the next game and then we can reflect on this week.

The most worrying thing for me is that we don't have an experienced leader in midfield who can shout a players when things are going wrong for us. Eriksen settled us by scoring (he's incredible really, isn't he) against the run of play. If we had a leader in midfield then he could settle us and get a lot more out of everyone around him. For me, that's the thing we need to fix in January if we can.

You can buy a player with leadership qualities, but you can't expect him to walk in the door and be an instant leader. Leaders need the respect of others and respect is earned...over time. One of the main problems with our squad after our massive overhaul last summer was the disfunctionality of it, we can't sort this problem with money / transfers, it's going to take time. The players are starting to find their place in the squad and as they do, leaders will start to emerge.

atleast he's going in for challenges

Mason and Bentaleb got stitched up repeatedly and ended up trying to hide behind Fazio and Vertonghen
Well I am not going to try and defend Bentaleb's performance today, that is for sure. He was very poor. And Mason only came on because Stambouli was also very poor. I completely agree that the central midfield went missing.

... and I think Lamela has a lot of talent as well, and could easily become a very important player for us. I just think he has a lot of improving to do on the defensive side of his game.

"The game is about lucky 2-1 wins. It’s about doing things in the style of a feature length You've Been Framed, with a slapstick flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, even though they've played you off the park, not waiting for them to die of laughter."

It's the only way we know how!

Edit: if this has the same 'pattern' as our other away games this year...

- 55 minute Leicester equaliser
- 89 minute Eriksen winner

Bet now, thank me later.
:levystare:

Close enough!

We're not Chelsea, Man City or even Man Utd: these teams FIGHT hard against everyone and we were always in for a fight here. Yes, it's very frustrating that we panic like headless chickens, but we still just hold the amount of quality to see these through. Imagine being an Everton fan right now? It would be suicide central on here.

I said before this game that LCFC have been playing ok but not getting the results. No place is easy to go to an get 3 points.
Bentaleb has been below par for a few games now. I'd say he was poor v Swansea, poor and made no successful tackles v Burnley and was complete shit today bar 10 mins. He made 3 successful tackles in a full game. Mason made the same in half a game. This boy is over hyped imo. He's comfortable on the ball, but very poor off it. He's always in the right positions, but shit at tackling. Players just go past him like he's not there. Yes he's a good prospect, but let's open our eyes and see him for what he really is. He's not a defensive midfielder and he's still very young and learning.
Mason does more defensively than him, yet Nabil offers nothing much offensively. Mason is not the one who should make way for a better tackling, forward passing DM, Nabil is.
It changed slightly when Mason came on, but imo Poch took the wrong man off.
Chadli was also poor made no tackles and with Rose on that side you have to help defensively.
Lamela come in for criticism from every cunt and his dog yet was probably or most influential player today. 97% accuracy and some killer through balls that were wasted with inept decisions/finishing. Remember most of his passes are not square or backwards either. He runs for 90, is everywhere and gets stuck in
However, we won. We should have been 3 up at HT, but we were not.

I'd say we are missing a strong midfielder who moves the ball fast and a clinical finisher. We will be fine.
I'd play Dembele with Mason v Man U otherwise we will get done in midfield.
I'd start Davies on the left and if Chadli ain't up for the work, stick Lennon on in his place.
They would be the only changes I'd make.

We are playing below our best. There are glimpses of advancement, but it's just the final ball, the end product.
Yet we are still 2 points off off fourth, have played all the teams above us, inc Woolwich, bar Man U.
We are still in the EL and in the QF of a cup.
They say a sign of a good team is one that grinds out results when not at their best. Does that not apply to us?
When we do get better, we will be ok.

Bentaleb and to an extent Mason are still learning the game. If Poch is to rely them as 1st teamers it might cost the team maybe for a season or 2.
Agree. They struggled today, but it is all part of the learning curve. Chelsea won't let us off if we have a bad day at the office though.

You can buy a player with leadership qualities, but you can't expect him to walk in the door and be an instant leader. Leaders need the respect of others and respect is earned...over time. One of the main problems with our squad after our massive overhaul last summer was the disfunctionality of it, we can't sort this problem with money / transfers, it's going to take time. The players are starting to find their place in the squad and as they do, leaders will start to emerge.

I agree that it wont happen instantly from signing a player, but I just don't see anyone we already got who is going to grow into that role any time soon. Mason may be our best bet, but he's a good few years off that yet, and his peers may not accept him. Get the right somebody in who has experience and it can work quicker. Maybe not this season, but certainly by next. I think the problem will be attracting the right person though, as we want someone who is already known to be a catalst like that and those players want to play CL probably. Until we fix this problem I think we will continue to spit and stutter.

Well I am not going to try and defend Bentaleb's performance today, that is for sure. He was very poor. And Mason only came on because Stambouli was also very poor. I completely agree that the central midfield went missing.

... and I think Lamela has a lot of talent as well, and could easily become a very important player for us. I just think he has a lot of improving to do on the defensive side of his game.

the problem is mate, today after about 30 minutes all the guys behind him went missing and the high press disappeared completely

and on the attack he was way under utilized, he'll do afew quick passes with sumbody and then they'll run off with the ball to the other side of the pitch, Walker operates in his own little world at times

According to BBC: "Leicester suffered their first Boxing Day defeat in 10 year."
Didn't know that, that's a big factor for today as well as they would have been well aware of that and confident as a result.

Back
Top Bottom