Brentford vs Tottenham Hotspur. Saturday the 23rd of April at 17:30 PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was thinking about this earlier and was left wondering if Doc somehow was the glue that held it all together. It would make some sense as he’s the only RWB we’ve got, and the only one who’s somewhat effective as neither of the LWB do all that much.

I honestly think it's too simple/convenient an assessment.....

- We've seen the MF play much better.
- We've seen the front 3 function perfectly well even with Emerson.
- Say what you want about Reg, but he typically shows so much more energy and presence than Sess.
- Conte: Subs & stubborn-ness

Skipp I think has been the biggest miss for us, adds energy and gets the ball quickly into the front 3 but we have won games without him. I can’t figure out why we have just shut down the last 2 games, it’s like a mental collapse.
As much as I love Skippy I still can't see him as being vital for us being either brilliant or shit. A midfield duo of Hojbjerg and Bentancur should be able to cope at this level. Both are highly experienced internationals. If he really is key to the front 3 working or not then the system is to blame I think.

As much as I love Skippy I still can't see him as being vital for us being either brilliant or shit. A midfield duo of Hojbjerg and Bentancur should be able to cope at this level. Both are highly experienced internationals. If he really is key to the front 3 working or not then the system is to blame I think.

Yes but often our issue seems to be getting overrun in the midfield, opposition teams seem to swamp our 2 and we have no options (Conte doesn’t seem to want to use Winks) so tactically it leaves us a bit fucked. Also IMO Skipp is a lot better on the ball than PEH which helps transitions.

Yes but often our issue seems to be getting overrun in the midfield, opposition teams seem to swamp our 2 and we have no options (Conte doesn’t seem to want to use Winks) so tactically it leaves us a bit fucked. Also IMO Skipp is a lot better on the ball than PEH which helps transitions.

Options:

We could play 532 or 433 with Winks or Kulu in the middle in order to thicken things up a bit.

We could play 4321 as above, which would also take some of the creative impetus off of the FBs.

He is certainly better than PEH I agree.

Options:

We could play 532 or 433 with Winks or Kulu in the middle in order to thicken things up a bit.

We could play 4321 as above, which would also take some of the creative impetus off of the FBs.

Not sure about Kulu as a mid, would rather Winks as he is more of a natural CM. But for whatever reason that is not what Conte seems to be doing. Honestly I am not sure what we do or why our players have suddenly run out of steam.

The 5minuet sub thing for isn’t new Pochettino did the same did he not?
I’m a bit vague on the early years, but yea he did the same towards the end of his tenure. Sticking with a diamond that wasn’t working and refusing to try anything else.

I honestly think it's too simple/convenient an assessment.....

- We've seen the MF play much better.
- We've seen the front 3 function perfectly well even with Emerson.
- Say what you want about Reg, but he typically shows so much more energy and presence than Sess.
- Conte: Subs & stubborn-ness
Yea you’re right issues go well beyond a single player/person.
For one, and this is by no means a slight against Doc, but he’s not of the calibre that he’d be carrying the team.

As for Reg, I’m quite conflicted. Yes he’s quite busy, energetic, and genuinely seems to like the club, but at the same time I can’t help but feel that often it doesn’t lead to anything.

Last edited:
I’m a bit vague on the early years, but yea he did the same towards the end of his tenure. Sticking with a diamond that wasn’t working and refusing to try anything else.

Yea you’re right issues go well beyond a single player/person.
For one, and this is by no means a slight against Doc, but he’s not of the calibre that he’d be carrying the team.

As for Reg, I’m quite conflicted. Yes he’s quite busy, energetic, and genuinely seems to like the club, but at the same time I can’t help but feel that often it doesn’t need to anything.

I hear you about Reg.... He's somewhat enigmatic.

And you are comparing squad of chelsea when Touchal took over to our squad when Conte took over? If so you're naïve.
No I’m saying that the managers go onto win things at their next club. So in that regard it bodes well for pochettino wherever he goes next. That’s is the point I was trying to make.

Although tbf he never really had a chance to work with them? I really can’t see any improvement in our midfield since these two have been shipped out. PEH is PEH and benta has basically looked the cheap ish punt Patricia got that juve did not want. He may have a few good games when we play on the counter but overall he will like a £15M player that he most prbly is. He dies t really tackle or press. His never gonna score as summed by a terrible shot and doubt if his gonna provide many assists. I think people go over the top after a few games. He has t really taken control of any games.
Yes Benta flattered to deceive when he first came here

Very disappointed in him as he tended to pass backwards and sideways most of the time and tried a shot which was frankly embarrassing

Emerson Royle & Ryan Sessengon as wing backs is actually quite alarming. Have to say it’s surprising we are even 5th if that’s the best this squad can offer. Regulion might (possibly) be slightly better than Sessengon but there does not seem to be a back up RWB anywhere in the squad, similar to striker where we don’t have a solid back up either. Ultimately, what we are being asked to pay to watch is threadbare at best and that’s why we are failing. It’s horrible but it was also inevitable it would end this way.

There was a moment yesterday in the second half when Sessengon ballooned a cross and he laughed. I didn’t share his humour. I wish him well at Watford on loan next year.

Emerson Royle & Ryan Sessengon as wing backs is actually quite alarming. Have to say it’s surprising we are even 5th if that’s the best this squad can offer. Regulion might (possibly) be slightly better than Sessengon but there does not seem to be a back up RWB anywhere in the squad, similar to striker where we don’t have a solid back up either. Ultimately, what we are being asked to pay to watch is threadbare at best and that’s why we are failing. It’s horrible but it was also inevitable it would end this way.

There was a moment yesterday in the second half when Sessengon ballooned a cross and he laughed. I didn’t share his humour. I wish him well at Watford on loan next year.

Maybe Fulham will take him back

No future with us

Errrrr we are playing our back-up RB (and LB*).

It really does seem the concept of back-up/reserves is increasingly lost in the modern football mire (*also see Winks & PEH).

Disappointing performance but could be a vital point. Got to beat Leicester and put the pressure on gooners going to West Ham. Loads more twists and turns. With the pressure on both teams will shit the bed. My main observation was the Wbs should been changed either at halftime or at least after 60mins.

No I’m saying that the managers go onto win things at their next club. So in that regard it bodes well for pochettino wherever he goes next. That’s is the point I was trying to make.
Poch won't win things if he comes to Spurs because squad is cr@p. We have the proof, Jose and Conte.

IMHO after trying the good, the bad and the ugly, no manager will win anything or get top 4 at Spurs until new owners.

Back
Top Bottom