Brighton Vs Tottenham - Sun 31st Jan 7:15pm - Live On Sky.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Result

• Brighton Win

Votes: 57 33.1%
  • Spurs Win

Votes: 65 37.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 50 29.1%

• Total voters
Come one mate we’ve seen them beat City and Utd this very season
The City game was a shining example of us playing to our strengths. We didn't even try to retain posession. If had the ball, we tried to score within 5 or 6 passes. If that didn't happen, we worked back into shape, made sure they couldn't break us down and waited for another opportunity.

Everyone moaned about us "parking the bus" but I genuinely think we look better off the ball than on it as long as that is the plan from the start.
Against Liverpool and Brighton, it looked like we were half an half. We seemed to try to pass it about but just couldn't do it. When we lost it, we tried to get back in shape, but looked all at sea.

I actually think the midfield is the problem and no link between midfield and attack. Would like a player in there who can take on defenders as well. Ndombele has come good in recent weeks but lets be honest since hes arrived we havent been great and already chatting to his mate mbappe. No possession and cohesion in midfield.
The midfield is being held back by the shaky defence.
People have had the wool pulled over their eyes about our defence because of the goals conceded column. It's only like that because we have so many bodies protecting them. And that seems to have been found out.

These are supposed to be fucking professionals. If I downed tools at work I'd be sacked.

This is part of my disconnect with football because you see this shit happening all the time when players don't like a manager.
This is exactly why I never get over wraught with football results and football politics. Its practically an industry filled with man children who don't give a toss about the fans who are the ones that take on the emotional burden of poor results.

The City game was a shining example of us playing to our strengths. We didn't even try to retain posession. If had the ball, we tried to score within 5 or 6 passes. If that didn't happen, we worked back into shape, made sure they couldn't break us down and waited for another opportunity.

Everyone moaned about us "parking the bus" but I genuinely think we look better off the ball than on it as long as that is the plan from the start.
Against Liverpool and Brighton, it looked like we were half an half. We seemed to try to pass it about but just couldn't do it. When we lost it, we tried to get back in shape, but looked all at sea.
This is what I mean by knowing the players are better than last night.
They are capable. Being scared of losing possession, but not scared of losing games doesn’t make sense to me

Have to say that, morning after - and still fuming, I’m pretty angry at the players for last night’s shit show. Bale and others couldn’t be bothered to run. Passes and crosses were abysmal. Sonny another shit headless chicken performance. Don’t these guys realise how lucky they are, in these of all times, to have a job that is playing sport. It’s fucking glorious. But our performance was shocking in the lack of effort. Not sure who threw who under the bus last night... but it almost looked like their revenge on Jose. Just shit all round.

I think what we all need to keep in mind is that we are not the only team playing like this. I watched Leicester and Everton this week and they were just as bad as us, sluggish, sad football. Like them we have some important injuries and when you are missing key players it is not so easy to play. It's even harder to respond to setbacks.

I believe playing in empty stadiums is making it so much harder for every team, playing in deafening silence for 90 minutes must be very difficult when the team is in a bad moment. Of course we should be playing better than we are but the players are human beings and the mental side of the game has always trumped all others.

If the players are not enjoying their work they will not play well. Earlier in the season in the games against City and Woolwich we might have played defensively but the players enjoyed the scrap. They played with a good intensity and were really aggressive in protecting our goal. Now we are trying to play less conservatively but it clearly doesn't suit the players we have available right now, not when they are so low on confidence after a string of bad results.

When you are in a moment like this, most managers would go back to the basics of being solid first. Even Pep did that after we beat them and now they are on fire. It might not be pleasant in the short term but Mourinho has to simplify things. Let's have a low block, Vinicius up front and go from there. We need to start keeping some clean sheets if we are going to change anything. We don't have the quality or mental toughness to do anything else.

Have to say that, morning after - and still fuming, I’m pretty angry at the players for last night’s shit show. Bale and others couldn’t be bothered to run. Passes and crosses were abysmal. Sonny another shit headless chicken performance. Don’t these guys realise how lucky they are, in these of all times, to have a job that is playing sport. It’s fucking glorious. But our performance was shocking in the lack of effort. Not sure who threw who under the bus last night... but it almost looked like their revenge on Jose. Just shit all round.
This exactly. Deserved criticism for jose aside these players were a disgrace. It shouldnt matter who the manager is. Mininmum requirement is earn your fortune. Put a shift in at least. If youre not good enough or dont get a result well fair enough. Apart from PEH we have no leaders whatsoever.
Why werent the players in the refs ear ref tanguy getting constantly fouled and stood on?? Imagine that was a liverpool player getting fouled like that!!
Lack of interest and care that is.
Sick of modern day prima donnas

I think what we all need to keep in mind is that we are not the only team playing like this. I watched Leicester and Everton this week and they were just as bad as us, sluggish, sad football. Like them we have some important injuries and when you are missing key players it is not so easy to play. It's even harder to respond to setbacks.

I believe playing in empty stadiums is making it so much harder for every team, playing in deafening silence for 90 minutes must be very difficult when the team is in a bad moment. Of course we should be playing better than we are but the players are human beings and the mental side of the game has always trumped all others.

If the players are not enjoying their work they will not play well. Earlier in the season in the games against City and Woolwich we might have played defensively but the players enjoyed the scrap. They played with a good intensity and were really aggressive in protecting our goal. Now we are trying to play less conservatively but it clearly doesn't suit the players we have available right now, not when they are so low on confidence after a string of bad results.

When you are in a moment like this, most managers would go back to the basics of being solid first. Even Pep did that after we beat them and now they are on fire. It might not be pleasant in the short term but Mourinho has to simplify things. Let's have a low block, Vinicius up front and go from there. We need to start keeping some clean sheets if we are going to change anything. We don't have the quality or mental toughness to do anything else.
How come we dont have the mental toughness?? How come we never have? In front of a packed stadium or empty one its the same old problem. Weak as fuck. Brighton had no home wins all season but here come spurs. We can out fight out work them easily. Joke

How come we dont have the mental toughness?? How come we never have? In front of a packed stadium or empty one its the same old problem. Weak as fuck. Brighton had no home wins all season but here come spurs. We can out fight out work them easily. Joke

Well yeah, these are mostly the same players that took 6 months to get over losing the CL final. Mentally very fragile. We saw a similar performance against Leicester. After being top of the league and then losing a game we should have won at Anfield, we went limp. These players wilt very easily.

We need better, younger, hungrier players. The ghost of Gareth Bale is not going to help us like we thought it would.

that 2nd half was such a mess.
It seemed to be an all out attack approach and had Brighton be more clinical we probably would've lost like 3-0.

the 1-0 flattered Mourinho a bit.

But that 2nd half shows he has no tactics. Completly changes his gameplan .why? and then we are just left so open and don't even look to have a cutting edge.

I need to see something so different v Chelsea on Thursday.

Well yeah, these are mostly the same players that took 6 months to get over losing the CL final. Mentally very fragile. We saw a similar performance against Leicester. After being top of the league and then losing a game we should have won at Anfield, we went limp. These players wilt very easily.

We need better, younger, hungrier players. The ghost of Gareth Bale is not going to help us like we thought it would.
And thing is liverpool lost a CL final won it the following year and the league the year after. Whats our common denominator? Mentally Weak as fuck players

The midfield is being held back by the shaky defence.
People have had the wool pulled over their eyes about our defence because of the goals conceded column. It's only like that because we have so many bodies protecting them. And that seems to have been found out.
This is a good point. I think even Jose has acknowledged this. He described it as "sleeping with a too small blanket" in an interview or something like that.

Either we shore up our shakey defence with a few extra midfielders, and sacrifice attacking power. Or we put our focus on attack and risk exposing the defence.

Once upon a time it was all Trippiers fault, then Diers, then Sissokos then Winks.

Ive had a theory for years that the problem is our attack.....they seem to go unscathed in most of the critique, but Kane, Son, Dele and Eriksen have all performed abysmally at times over the years, and Son right now deserves to be dropped for Lamela or Moura.

That’s how shit he’s been. Sometimes Kane has been equally shit but it’s this elephant in the room that everyone gets ratty over.

The longer we hide behind limp, wasteful shit performances up top because they are supposedly world class the longer we suffer.

Dele, Eriksen and Son are/were not world class. Kane? I’ll be honest the jury is out. Numbers are good, but I’ve seen him be shit too often and I’m sick of it.

Defensive flaws aside, how the fuck can these players not out score Brighton, Palace, Fulham?

Sissoko and Moura down this right flank look dangerous!!!
Dele would have run this game.
Ndombele as magnificent as we continue to be told?
Vinicius worth playing definitely.
Are we getting the best out of Bale -silly short spells -give him a run!
Lamela has been here for 8 years!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom