Burnley v Tottenham Hotspur, Sunday 5th April, 13:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll be at this game :adethumbup:
5 minutes after you started talking to the fan next to you:
CD27771212.jpg

I am honestly tired I don't understand how we have managed to delude ourselves that this crop of players are greater than they actually are. Mason, Bentaleb,Dier,Walker,Davies, Chadli,Lamela,Vorm ..the whole damn team screams midtable/relegation except for a few gems ie: kane and eriksen (when he is in form).

Relegation? Oh FFS. Why is it every time after a lacklustre display we have this melty nonsense? We aren't going to be in a relegation fight now. We have fallen behind the top four, no question. But the reason for that is because we never replaced VDV, Modric, King and Bale. The current crop aren't at the same level, but they are hardly crap. What is evident though is that we have relied too heavily on Kane to get us out of trouble this season, just as we did Bale in his last season, and that was always going to be a mistake. But that's what comes with being a top six side and not a top four side. It also doesn't mean that once this manager has his second season he won't have then had a chance to make some further signings and bring in some new young players from the academy. I'd also argue that no manager from AVB onwards could really expect that the "super seven" signings would remain, for the most part, so utterly dire two years on.

We have regressed (and I use that word reluctantly) to a top six side for reason that are too evident. But as Redknapp quite rightly said then, at that time we'd never had it so good. We are in sixth place and that is our level in all other respects. We are neither punching above our weight nor below it. So, when you consider all that, our performances this season as whole have not been below what we can reasonably expect. With the new stadium on the way I would not expect huge investment in the side (and I think that's one of the reasons Poch was brought in - to work with the acdemy and young signings) so I think fans need to accept that. When you're at the level we are there are going to be bad days like this, because we don't have the spit and polish of the sides above us. I think people are just going to make peace with fact that this is where we'll be competing for the next few years. I have, and to be honest I've felt a lot more relaxed as a fan than I have in probably the past ten years. At the end of the day, we still have it better than 95% of football fans.

This is new for me, but I WAS FORCED to log in to browse this forum, just to be able to block Greaves357_bestever.
This shouldn't be a post to be honest, but I'm just so enraged that I don't give a fuck. That defeatist bullshit and relishing in other peoples' hope just grind my shit. Sorry for the rant.

Do other teams at our sort of level have similar fans to ours where they would expect to lose away at Burnley? Or is it just Spurs fans?

Top 4 might already be gone, but I'd like to win tomorrow to keep us in it. United has a load of tough fixtures coming up and we still don't know what's the deal with City.

Win tomorrow and we live another day, drop points and it's gone..
Even if the top 4 has gone, it would be fantastic to finish above the dippers. 5th in Poch's first season would be more than most of us expected. Just got to keep going and see what happens.

In my opinion Paulinioh is a world class player. The problem is that he is working on a different wavelength to the rest of the team, he needs a player like Ronaldo to read his passes.

Burnley will need to win this, hopefully they are as open as Leicester were today. Hopefully we actually see some change, I want Townsend and Chadli dropped and I want to see Dembele and Lamela back in the starting eleven. We need to sort out the defence too, whether you love him or hate him, we need Fazio back in the team, teams are just lumping it long and we can't deal with it, at least Fazio can stay there and use his height.

Didn't attack you personally, only your opinion.
Waste of time mate.

He says there is nothing in our recent form to say we can beat Burnley ... we have won 3 of our last 4 league games, including the teams either side of Burnley in the table. You point this out and it is a personal attack.

He says Poch has made shocking choices in the start 11, ask him what his preferred team would be and that is a personal attack.

It is actually still possible for us to finish abov them due to the fixtures they have. I dont think we will but it is still quite plausible today. I saw an article on BBC the other week where they had us finishing 6th, or 7th. SIXTH for fucks sake. I thought, fuck no, FIFTH is OURS bitches!

Basically, I think we will finish 5th for a change. But we'll see. Whatever the case I want us to keep getting max points and I want Kane to keep scoring so that he wins the golden boot.
To be honest. I'm just enjoying watching Tottenham again. I'd love for us to finish fifth but I wouldn't be disheartened with sixth. It was always a case of players being on trial this year, some have come out tops, some won't make the cut. I just look forward to getting a nice pre-season underway, some Pochettino signings in the summer and seeing some exciting youth come into the mix in the likes of Alli and Pritchard.

I actually thought Chiriches looked alright today, fair play to him.

Paulinho just doesn't have ability, he never has shown any skill while at Tottenham besides backheel flicks. There's nothing there.

It stuns me that people still look at games like this an blame the manager. It has been three years and three separate managers and yet these performances remain a constant. The problem is quite obviously our players. We've lacked quality since we lost King, Modric, and VDV in one summer and then Kaboul, Parker, and Sandro crocked themselves during the first three months of the next season. Then obviously Bale left. That was the spine of our last top 4 team and it all disappeared in about six months (excluding Bale).

We've started to replace some of the quality with the emergence of Kane, Bentaleb, Rose, and Mason (at times) and also the solid buys of Eriksen and Vertonghen. The quality has reemerged this year a bit and Pochettino has the best style we've had in recent memory but we still have a long way to go in terms of player quality.

We need to buy this summer and continue to see the improvement of our young players in the first team already and in the academy. This is a process and not one that will happen overnight. But you could bring SAF tomorrow and he still wouldn't be able to fix the likes of Paulinho and many of our players. We need to improve our playing staff, not coaching.

Just finished watching the second half.
That was one of the most rancid, pathetic displays I've seen for a while.
No one looked remotely interested apart from Kane.
Paulinho just confirming why he should never wear a spurs shirt again.
I mean that shot. The faces of the spurs fans said it all.
And then you have to watch that prick Henry smugly smiling away about how shit we were.
Poor selection by poch. And awful effort by most of the players.
The only consolation is the clean sheet.
That's all fine - but where are you staying tonight?

Back
Top Bottom