Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

his corner taking and free kick taking yesterday was so much better than ive seen when he was at Tottenham....

Must be coaching?
His dead ball kicking was always spectacular in training, very rarely managed it in games, especially big games, for us.
By the way, my cousin who played for Malta (probably 3rd/4th Division standard), also scored from a corner once. Unless it's a regular occurrence, you have to say it could be a bit of a fluke.

If the ball doesn’t come into the box it’s impossible to score from a corner. Having a corner not even make it past the first man absolutely does matter.
Then please carry on and explain why of 3% of corners result in goals if it absolutely matters?

If the ball is put "into the mixer" it's defended but it beat the first man so it looks better. I wonder why teams play a short corner, perhaps they are just taking the piss out of everyone?

Last edited:
Then please carry on and explain why of 3% of corners result in goals if it absolutely matters?

If the ball is put "into the mixer" it's defended but it beat the first man so it looks better. I wonder why teams play a short corner, perhaps they are just taking the piss out of everyone?
Do you know what percentage of corners that don't beat the first man result in goals?

Do you know what percentage of corners that don't beat the first man result in goals?
What does it matter when only 3% of ALL corners (that's, short, front post, back post, pulled back, put into the mixer, fizzed, lobbed, lofted) result in a goal?

I can't recall if the article written by Michael Caley broke that specific down or not (it now appears to be behind a paywall, I'm sure I've posted it on here when it was first written but the search function hasn't identified it but here it is: https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr-consent/?next_url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2014/06/17/what-is-a-corner-kick-worth-in-soccer/ ). I do recall another specific stat from it though and that was the opposition score from 0.5% of the opponent's own corner from counter-attacks.

There is this from the Guardian In defence of the corner, a much-maligned set piece | Gregg Bakowski and these two previews from Pat Nevin Nevin: Why have corners got worse? Why teams gamble on defending corners which were also put out to defend the corner taker.

Last edited:
When 3% of corners result in goals, it's not just Eriksen then is it!?

Who is a good corner taker, what makes them so and back it up with stats to prove it.

I don’t know who’s got the best deliveries. Someone like James Ward Prowse maybe, and you are probably right, Southampton don’t score a lot on corners. Still though, if the ball doesn’t reach the area you don’t even get part of the 3%.

One Eriksen corner that did reach a teammate saw us win against Wolves in the dying minutes.

What does it matter when only 3% of ALL corners (that's, short, front post, back post, pulled back, put into the mixer, fizzed, lobbed, lofted) result in a goal?

I can't recall if the article written by Michael Caley broke that specific down or not (it now appears to be behind a paywall, I'm sure I've posted it on here when it was first written but the search function hasn't identified it but here it is: https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr-consent/?next_url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2014/06/17/what-is-a-corner-kick-worth-in-soccer/ ). I do recall another specific stat from it though and that was the opposition score from 0.5% of the opponent's own corner from counter-attacks.

There is this from the Guardian In defence of the corner, a much-maligned set piece | Gregg Bakowski and these two previews from Pat Nevin Nevin: Why have corners got worse? Why teams gamble on defending corners which were also put out to defend the corner taker.
It matters because 3% is a fair bit better than 0%, with that kind of attitude why not just turn it over for a goal kick then, because, you know, only a 3% chance of scoring...

You know last season Harry Kane had a 16% goals to shots conversion rate, should he have not bothered shooting because there was only a 16% likelihood of scoring?

At what % does something become worthwhile for you?

I don’t know who’s got the best deliveries. Someone like James Ward Prowse maybe, and you are probably right, Southampton don’t score a lot on corners. Still though, if the ball doesn’t reach the area you don’t even get part of the 3%.

One Eriksen corner that did reach a teammate saw us win against Wolves in the dying minutes.
The 3% includes near post. So again there really isn't any massive gain to be had.

It matters because 3% is a fair bit better than 0%, with that kind of attitude why not just turn it over for a goal kick then, because, you know, only a 3% chance of scoring...

You know last season Harry Kane had a 16% goals to shots conversion rate, should he have not bothered shooting because there was only a 16% likelihood of scoring?

At what % does something become worthwhile for you?
How many goals has Kane scored from corners?

The 3% includes near post. So again there really isn't any massive gain to be had.

Fair enough if you haven’t been disappointed with our corners, I know for sure I have.

Only made it worse that Eriksen had the best crossing abilities in our squad. No one in our current group are whipping in crosses between the last defender and goalkeeper, which are so difficult to defend.

Unfortunately, Eriksen's corners did not even reach the near post for us.
And Toby, Jan & Dier never scored from a near-post corner in their lives I suppose?

The thing is the near post was what was being aimed at. Maybe Toby/Jan/Dier/Whoever got blocked off by those pesky defenders. Maybe Jan/Dier/Toby whoever missed their header/shot. Maybe it's quite hard to aim for an invisible target the size of a packet of sugar puffs, that not only needs to be so accurate to hit that invisible spot it also needs to be hit with the required pace to be over the first man (who's height can vary on account that the oppo protecting the near post is more than one player of differing heights) but then dip behind so as to get our lads head on it.

As the stats bare out its quite difficult.

Really pleased for him that he’s somewhere where winning trophies is much easier. Would hate for him to be stuck abroad somewhere where he’s constantly losing semi finals.

:eriksenserious:

Yeah I’m sure David Beckham thought to himself ‘Na no point in putting these corners in the box’ when they were 1-0 down to Bayern with 3 minutes left

Just because something is hard to do doesn’t mean stop trying

Back
Top Bottom