Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think we’d find a place for him. Conte had him working in a playmaker role at Inter. He’s a class act, in some games I think Eriksen/Bentancur could work, would just be about adjusting if it isn’t.

But either way, what a player to just have around.
We need a squad.

.......To me "starter" means first XI. Hense the question.

He could easily come in for kulusevski or drop into central midfield to play against teams who park the bus. It’s a squad game.

As noted above, I'd have him too, but in our current system (and tactics*); him being a "starter" would require us dropping Son or Kulu.

(*Conte's showed no intent to play a more attacking player in the CM2.)

.......To me "starter" means first XI. Hense the question.

As noted above, I'd have him too, but in our current system (and tactics*); him being a "starter" would require us dropping Son or Kulu.

(*Conte's showed no intent to play a more attacking player in the CM2.)
You say that, but you must have noticed the amount of times Bentancur appears pushing on in the CF position, particularly when a transistion is on the cards. Also, even Romero has obviously been given license to roam forward as he does it at some point pretty much every game. And I'm sure as shit that Conte would be metaphorically nailing his balls to the 18 yd line if he didn't want him doing it.

You say that, but you must have noticed the amount of times Bentancur appears pushing on in the CF position, particularly when a transistion is on the cards. Also, even Romero has obviously been given license to roam forward as he does it at some point pretty much every game. And I'm sure as shit that Conte would be metaphorically nailing his balls to the 18 yd line if he didn't want him doing it.

When situations allow indeed, but the core responsibilties of Bentancur or PEH do not mesh with kind of player Eriksen is.

When situations allow indeed, but the core responsibilties of Bentancur or PEH do not mesh with kind of player Eriksen is.
I’d personally pick a CE/RB starting CM2 over a PEH/RB one pretty much every time. I think the ground Eriksen covers allows the “luxury” of playing the 2 together even if he doesn’t directly get “stuck in”. His involvement/ presence is usually sufficient to stall an attack temporarily in circumstances where we risk being stretched. And the upside to 2 talented ball players is potentially huge.

I hope we make him an offer in the summer, he's shown that physically he is fine. Doesn't have to play every game for us but on a free transfer a player like him is an absolute no-brainer. He knows us, knows the league, knows Conte.

He would add a lot of quality to our squad without much expense.
People say this and I think 🤔 Hmmm how big a prick would he be to walk out on kindly supportive Brentford after they took the chance on him. Folk need to get their head round he has played his last game for Spurs.

I’d personally pick a CE/RB starting CM2 over a PEH/RB one pretty much every time. I think the ground Eriksen covers allows the “luxury” of playing the 2 together even if he doesn’t directly get “stuck in”. His involvement/ presence is usually sufficient to stall an attack temporarily in circumstances where we risk being stretched. And the upside to 2 talented ball players is potentially huge.

I'm yet to be convinced that you can get away with that kind of blend in the modern EPL era.... All the teams that successfully deploy that kind of player in CM do so with 3CMs (unless they have a superhuman beast like peak-Kante to lean upon...... By that token look back at how Eriksen often struggled to impose himself for us when Dembele wasn't playing).

People say this and I think 🤔 Hmmm how big a prick would he be to walk out on kindly supportive Brentford after they took the chance on him.

The flip-side is we don't know what the sentiment was in him agreeing to join them in the first place.....

A mutual favour isn't that hard to believe.....

Did the Danish connection play a part?

Folk need to get their head round he has played his last game for Spurs.

That's not a given, so why prematurely accept that?

(Maybe I'm mis-remembering; but CE didn't write the idea off when a re-union with Conte was suggested to him by a journo....)

Last edited:
I see some people, that believe that having Conte as a coach is an asset, if Tottenham decide to try to get Christian Eriksen back as a player. Now, I can’t claim to know exactly what goes on in Christian’s head. But I have interviewed him several times, when I was a sports journalist in Denmark, and I have followed his career since he went to Ajax. And I am a 100 percent sure that Christian does not want to play for a team, that has Conte as the coach.

It is not, that he doesn’t respect Conte. He does. But he doesn’t think Conte is the right coach for him. His time in Inter did not go as well as he would have hoped. In the start Conte didn’t use him very often. His quiet style didn’t fit with Conte and the Italians, and Conte criticized him for being slow at adapting to the Italian style of football. At the end of his stay Conte found some use of Eriksen. Not as an attacking midfielder, but further back on the pitch. Conte was satisfied, but Eriksen only seemed relieved and happy, when he went home to play for Denmark, where he could play attacking midfielder and had the freedom on the pitch to use his particular set of skills. He never criticized Conte. That is not his style. He played the role that Conte dictated. It is important for him to honor his commitment to the club he represents. But it was evident that he didn’t feel that he and Inter (Conte) was a good fit.

It is too bad. I think he would be back in a heartbeat if Tottenham wants him, and Conte wasn’t the coach. He loves the club. He – and more important – his family thrives in London. But he seeks a coach that believes in him. Like Pochettino did, like the national coaches Hareide and Hjulmand did and do, and like Thomas Frank does.
And here it is. He has played his last game for Spurs. I'm not even sure he's ambitious, he wants to be happy after what he went through I don't blame him. He will stay at Brentford and this talk about them being below his level won't come into it. He'll strive to push them on. He'll also turn Toney into a proper player.

Agreed.

Nothing to prove. Go to the World Cup and do what he can for his country.

And then be part of a club where he will play regularly doing what he has wanted to do all his life.

We got the very best Eriksen and being absolutely honest I would be fearful of anything happening if he were with us.

His return to PL football is the story of the decade so far, by a country mile.
The decade is 2 and a bit years long. Hold your horses.

I see some people, that believe that having Conte as a coach is an asset, if Tottenham decide to try to get Christian Eriksen back as a player. Now, I can’t claim to know exactly what goes on in Christian’s head. But I have interviewed him several times, when I was a sports journalist in Denmark, and I have followed his career since he went to Ajax. And I am a 100 percent sure that Christian does not want to play for a team, that has Conte as the coach.

It is not, that he doesn’t respect Conte. He does. But he doesn’t think Conte is the right coach for him. His time in Inter did not go as well as he would have hoped. In the start Conte didn’t use him very often. His quiet style didn’t fit with Conte and the Italians, and Conte criticized him for being slow at adapting to the Italian style of football. At the end of his stay Conte found some use of Eriksen. Not as an attacking midfielder, but further back on the pitch. Conte was satisfied, but Eriksen only seemed relieved and happy, when he went home to play for Denmark, where he could play attacking midfielder and had the freedom on the pitch to use his particular set of skills. He never criticized Conte. That is not his style. He played the role that Conte dictated. It is important for him to honor his commitment to the club he represents. But it was evident that he didn’t feel that he and Inter (Conte) was a good fit.

It is too bad. I think he would be back in a heartbeat if Tottenham wants him, and Conte wasn’t the coach. He loves the club. He – and more important – his family thrives in London. But he seeks a coach that believes in him. Like Pochettino did, like the national coaches Hareide and Hjulmand did and do, and like Thomas Frank does.
Is this your opinion or based on something you've heard?

I love Christian and hope he finishes his career on a high.

I don’t want him to return though, we need to look forwards not backwards
No one suggesting we sign him out of simple nostalgia. He's clearly still got something to offer, and given our desperate need for a LCB and WBs, we can't afford to pass up a player of his calibre on a free transfer.

Yeah, spend 30m on Tielemans and 30m on a LCB of mixed reputation or 0 on Eriksen and 60m on an elite CB on the level of Romero.

Easy choice for me.

This really should be the story of our kitty this summer (and next for that matter).

You seem to know a lot about Eriksen and I thank you for the post. However, I would like to ask you about something that is actually important. Did Jan sleep with his missus or not?
Haha. That is definitely not my field of expertise. But it is an extremely important question.

I think you have a point. Eriksen was more candid whenever he spoke to Danish media about Conte during that time.

Many people, almost all Inter fans then, believed that Conte is being a dick towards Eriksen on purpose - he used to sub him in only in the dying minutes of some games, like 92 minute or maybe 85 minute of the game. Conte did this to other players too, but more rarely, and Eriksen's attitude suggested he didn't appreciate it. He was going to stay in Italy to play under Inzaghi, I think.

Back
Top Bottom