Come here to laugh at Leicester

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That is basically what Souness said at half time. Really ripped into Leicester. I only watched up until they scored, due to going to our game, so don't know if they improved but Sunderland probably should have been ahead at half time. Collymore on the radio was claiming what a brilliant performance it was. I didn't quite understand that unless they improved dramatically. Then I saw Rodwell's miss on motd. Let's hope West Ham are a bit more clinical.

Call me bitter if people want to, but when you're this fucking lucky, I can't really grudgingly respect you. The graph shows the conversion % against Leicester would be expected to concede, based on the shots they've allowed. The arrow points out how probable the actual current conversion % is. That's an awful lot of divine intervention and uncalled handballs.

Call me bitter if people want to, but when you're this fucking lucky, I can't really grudgingly respect you. The graph shows the conversion % against Leicester would be expected to concede, based on the shots they've allowed. The arrow points out how probable the actual current conversion % is. That's an awful lot of divine intervention and uncalled handballs.

I'm good with numbers, but this graph alone was fucking with my eyes, so looked up the whole article for reference...

It's Better To Be Lucky Than Good But It's Even Better To Be Lucky And Good

Definitely worth a read if any of you have a spare five minutes. It doesn't discount the improvement Leicester have made since last season (which nobody would dispute), but the statistics behind their lack of goals conceded is astonishing.

My one caveat is that it would be worth querying whether Leicester's defence has been so good that they're frustrating teams to long shots (that have a low chance of scoring) - I don't know if this is the case though. I think Michael Caley of Cartilage Free Captain has run some good statistical analytics on Leicester throughout the season that have highlighted how improbable their results are.

In summary though: this is vindication for all of us who say Leicester is having ridiculous luck. I would challenge anyone to look at those underlying numbers, actually watch some of the recent Leicester matches, and not come away with the opinion that they're jammy as fuck.

I'm good with numbers, but this graph alone was fucking with my eyes, so looked up the whole article for reference...

Definitely worth a read if any of you have a spare five minutes. It doesn't discount the improvement Leicester have made since last season (which nobody would dispute), but the statistics behind their lack of goals conceded is astonishing.

My one caveat is that it would be worth querying whether Leicester's defence has been so good that they're frustrating teams to long shots (that have a low chance of scoring) - I don't know if this is the case though. I think Michael Caley of Cartilage Free Captain has run some good statistical analytics on Leicester throughout the season that have highlighted how improbable their results are.

In summary though: this is vindication for all of us who say Leicester is having ridiculous luck. I would challenge anyone to look at those underlying numbers, actually watch some of the recent Leicester matches, and not come away with the opinion that they're jammy as fuck.
5 wins a row ain't lucky. They are obviously doing something right. They don't concede goals. But yes each match it does seem a bit jammy. Although I agree with a foxes poster who said Rodwell's miss was not lucky it was just shit from Rodwell.
Anyway massive :love: for them.

Last edited:

Oh, they're jammier than a fucking berry farm.

They park the bus quite well, but the number of improbable coincidences regarding shots that shouldn't be missed, consistently being missed, as well as uncalled fouls and the like really are remarkable.

Their 1-0 win over us was the template. We were better, unlucky to not score at least one, and then they got a ridiculously lucky header at the other end.

Oh, they're jammier than a fucking berry farm.

They park the bus quite well, but the number of improbable coincidences regarding shots that shouldn't be missed, consistently being missed, as well as uncalled fouls and the like really are remarkable.

Their 1-0 win over us was the template. We were better, unlucky to not score at least one, and then they got a ridiculously lucky header at the other end.
Their goal involved Toby and Dier running into one another to leave Huth with a free header.

The same Toby who, I believe, has made zero 'defensive errors' (in statistical terms) this season.

Sure, it was our fault - but very uncharacteristic of our defence.

haha gutted Leicester we have our own statistician Juicy Sushi Juicy Sushi

You twats can't even spell statistics!!

3o85xpXcGqIX5ALSlG.gif

Their goal involved Toby and Dier running into one another to leave Huth with a free header.

The same Toby who, I believe, has made zero 'defensive errors' (in statistical terms) this season.

To give an alternate view - not one manager (that I can remember) post-match has said we were lucky. Not once have they said that "we battered them for 90 minutes but just couldn't score", which I think you'd expect of a super-lucky team. Most have said how hard it is to score against us - some have talked about specific decisions or incidents, such as the one you mention above, but the losing manager always does.
No. we're not winning because we're lucky; the players work hard, enjoy their football, and are smacked off their tits.No mystery there. ;)

To give an alternate view - not one manager (that I can remember) post-match has said we were lucky. Not once have they said that "we battered them for 90 minutes but just couldn't score", which I think you'd expect of a super-lucky team. Most have said how hard it is to score against us - some have talked about specific decisions or incidents, such as the one you mention above, but the losing manager always does.
No. we're not winning because we're lucky; the players work hard, enjoy their football, and are smacked off their tits.No mystery there. ;)
Forgive me, but I'm not so sure managers ever come out and directly say the other team was lucky. They may allude to it by questioning some refereeing decisions (though of course, doing this opens you up to sanctions from the FA so again isn't something they'll be keen on doing), or rueing their own missed chances, but anything more specific will likely be turned into a soundbite that the press can beat them with. It's not the way to play the journalist game.

If we're playing the post-match interview game, the number of times we've heard that Tottenham was the best team an opposition manager has faced this season is numerous.

The link to the article gives actual statistical evidence to the fact that you are currently riding a wave of luck, I don't see how you can read those figures any other way...

Isnt there? Your opening a can of worms suggesting this.
Only because it's laughable. The story came from a secretly recorded interview with a "doctor" (subsequently found to be unlicensed), who was clearly bigging himself up. He implicated LC, Woolwich, Chelsea and, somewhat bizarrely, Birmingham City (who one assumes have asked for their money back). After the story came out he backtracked immediately and said he had never treated any PL footballers at all. Funniest of all, the only reason that LC were even mentioned was because he apparently named Ulloa - but it turned out he meant Ulloa the cyclist.
The one player we have who would seem to have super-human energy levels is Kante, but given that he only arrived in the UK in the summer, 2 years after the time-frame, this seems unlikely.
I don't know for sure, any more than you do. Harry Kane was on loan with us and certainly didn't look half the player he does now, but that doesn't mean he's been shooting up in the bogs. Maybe the ST are holding on to a big reveal and planning to land it if we win the title. It's not without precedent. But my guess is that the reason it's all gone quiet is that they quickly realised they were dealing with a fantisist and couldn't make the story stand up.
I can't see players like Huth, Fuchs, Schmeichel and Cambiasso being at a club where this was going on, can you?

Not that they didn't deserve to win the match, but their 3rd at the etihad was a massive foul on the defender as they went up for the header but no one gave a shit because fairytale etc.

5 wins a row ain't lucky. They are obviously doing something right. They don't concede goals. But yes each match it does seem a bit jammy. Although I agree with a foxes poster who said Rodwell's miss was not lucky it was just shit from Rodwell.
Anyway massive :love: for them.

Well yes, obviously it was shit from Rodwell. But that's missing the point completely! As much as Rodwell's career has gone to shit and he's likely low on confidence, he scores that kind of shot at least 90% of the time. If it was just shit by Rodwell and not lucky for Leicester, you're saying, Rodwell is such a shite player that he misses that more than 50% of the time. Is that your serious claim?

It's the very definition of luck that the shot which occurs against you (Leicester) is in the 10% of misses, rather than 90% goals.

Forgive me, but I'm not so sure managers ever come out and directly say the other team was lucky. They may allude to it by questioning some refereeing decisions (though of course, doing this opens you up to sanctions from the FA so again isn't something they'll be keen on doing), or rueing their own missed chances, but anything more specific will likely be turned into a soundbite that the press can beat them with. It's not the way to play the journalist game.

If we're playing the post-match interview game, the number of times we've heard that Tottenham was the best team an opposition manager has faced this season is numerous.

The link to the article gives actual statistical evidence to the fact that you are currently riding a wave of luck, I don't see how you can read those figures any other way...

Pretty certain I've heard managers say that THEY were unlucky, which is pretty much the same thing. And they are always rueing referees decisions, some more carefully worded than others (Pardew, Bilic, Koeman - all recent, frequent and off the top of my head). And I've never said that other managers haven't praised Spurs - but we weren't talking about that.

I'm sure the article does show all sorts of things ( i hazed over a bit, to be honest)- but it seemed to show that we are good at not conceding goals but very good at scoring them at the right time. The more we do this, the better/luckier we appear to be. Stats can show lots of results, but interpreting them is always exactly that, The interesting thing is that even in the away game against you, you undoubtedly had all the pressure and possession, but I honestly don't recall a whole slew of clean, missed chances. It wasn't like you hit the woodwork 10 times. And that's been the case in every game we've played like that. Lots of shots from distance, troubling nobody, because there's no easy way through. Believe me, as a fan it's very difficult to watch because you think that we must concede at some point, but we never do. Up to now, anyway. Also remember until Xmas we were the great entertainers, scoring freely and letting plenty in.
A couple of weeks ago the only reason we were doing well was that apparently refs were being extra-kind to us. Until the Guardian ran the numbers there and found the absolute opposite. Now there's graphs being made and stats being run to suggest that we're just plain lucky. Christ. What next?!

Only because it's laughable. The story came from a secretly recorded interview with a "doctor" (subsequently found to be unlicensed), who was clearly bigging himself up. He implicated LC, Woolwich, Chelsea and, somewhat bizarrely, Birmingham City (who one assumes have asked for their money back). After the story came out he backtracked immediately and said he had never treated any PL footballers at all. Funniest of all, the only reason that LC were even mentioned was because he apparently named Ulloa - but it turned out he meant Ulloa the cyclist.
The one player we have who would seem to have super-human energy levels is Kante, but given that he only arrived in the UK in the summer, 2 years after the time-frame, this seems unlikely.
I don't know for sure, any more than you do. Harry Kane was on loan with us and certainly didn't look half the player he does now, but that doesn't mean he's been shooting up in the bogs. Maybe the ST are holding on to a big reveal and planning to land it if we win the title. It's not without precedent. But my guess is that the reason it's all gone quiet is that they quickly realised they were dealing with a fantisist and couldn't make the story stand up.
I can't see players like Huth, Fuchs, Schmeichel and Cambiasso being at a club where this was going on, can you?

No one is seriously suggesting your team is on drugs. Why are you so prickly on the subject? You lot are the most defensive fans in the league. I realise you won't reply to me, but give it a rest mate. What are you seeking here?

You better jack up quick, I found a nerve.

Of course its all nonesence.

Meh. At least it wasn't a potentially game-changing handball...

They were so much the better team. My Man City supporting mate was furious with how badly their side played.

And, in fairness, but just to show how quickly we forget and how myopic we are - in the your fixture at the Etihad - had that been a LC penalty, what would you have said? My guess - NO WAY WAS THAT A FUCKING PEN!

Point being that we all forget the ones that go for us, and remember those that don't.

Fuck it - they're all the same. Creep in under the radar with some bullshit 'ooh we're all in it together' nonsense, then whine like fuck about newspaper articles on an other team's forum. I couldn't give a stony fuck what Leicester fans think. Even less the ones that come on here. What is it you need? Just tell us, and maybe we can supply it.

Back
Top Bottom