Come here to laugh at Nu-Castle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s a ridiculous decision, the player is too close to the ball for it to be deliberate or to have time to move the arm. Most importantly with the rules these days, the arm was in a natural position. The fact it hit the players chest and then the arm - well I just don’t know how the VAR official actually managed to get that one wrong, it’s one of the easiest decisions you will get and the bloke facked it up.

On the other hand (not literally) the rules are far more bias towards defenders these days. If Eric Dier controls a ball in his own half, it grazes his arm, he then goes on a Maradona like 60 yard run beating all 10 outfield players before running back to 30 yards out and then smashing it in the top corner - the goal will get chalked off because it initially grazed his arm.

Basically they keep fucking around with the rules so that even VAR refs can still get it wrong
Er, Eric Dier?

:ange-lol:

This Fish This Fish Now, let's get back to those Shirt Sponsorship values topic shall we Fishy?

F_9rzyWWcAAFS4Y

Inter put out their Quarterly Results to 30 Sept 2023 recently (Investor Relations | Inter.it). This is what a Champions League finalist (3rd, 2nd, 1st, 2nd Serie A - Coppa Italia x2, Supacoppa Italiana in the last 4 seasons on top of a Glorious history making them a true (ex?)Super Club) is getting for shirt, sleeve and other sponsorship revenue. Paramount + pay around £10m pa for the shirt Nike is now also paying €21.5m pa for "technical" ie kit.

Compared to Newcastle a team with no trophy in 69 years!!!!

:harrysmile:

This Fish This Fish Now, let's get back to those Shirt Sponsorship values topic shall we Fishy?

F_9rzyWWcAAFS4Y

Inter put out their Quarterly Results to 30 Sept 2023 recently (Investor Relations | Inter.it). This is what a Champions League finalist (3rd, 2nd, 1st, 2nd Serie A - Coppa Italia x2, Supacoppa Italiana in the last 4 seasons on top of a Glorious history making them a true (ex?)Super Club) is getting for shirt, sleeve and other sponsorship revenue. Paramount + pay around £10m pa for the shirt Nike is now also paying €21.5m pa for "technical" ie kit.

What's the global viewing figures for Serie A?

You need to judge that Sela deal against other PL clubs, what about the sponsorship deals enjoyed by Everton, West Ham and Wolves? £10m a year.
What about other PL clubs in the Champions League? You, Woolwich and Chelsea get £40m a year, Man Utd and Liverpool get £48-50m.
What about other PL clubs in the CL backed by an oil state? Man City get £68m.

Is £25m a year so far out of whack in that context? What would you say is a fair market sponsorship deal for a Champions League club with the backing to achieve the lofty ambitions of the owners? More than Everton, West Ham and Wolves, right? Less than regular CL clubs like yourself and your London counterparts, right?

F_9rzyWWcAAFS4Y

BANG ON.

"...But we're a CL club now"

Yeh, so are Young Boys.

It wasn't a penalty, but they probably should have had one earlier.

And as we know from experience - you can't be camped in your area for 30 mins conceding loads of shots on goal.....eventually they'll score

Have to agree with the fish bloke. Not a huge amount wrong with the shirt sponsorship thing.

What I also found out about was this thing called “fair market value”, which means that any loan would have to be at just that, so they couldn’t loan in players from KSA for nothing. There’d have to be a fair value levied. So I’m a bit more zen about the whole thing than I was.

Have to agree with the fish bloke. Not a huge amount wrong with the shirt sponsorship thing.

What I also found out about was this thing called “fair market value”, which means that any loan would have to be at just that, so they couldn’t loan in players from KSA for nothing. There’d have to be a fair value levied. So I’m a bit more zen about the whole thing than I was.

I don't think it applies to loans - they drafted the rule in a hurry and it only applies to permanent transfers

They wouldn't be getting such a big shirt sponsorship on the basis of one CL qualification..... 12 months prior they were a fucking repeat relegation bothers

How much do Forest, Villa or Leeds get (also historically big names)? That's roughly the benchmark for that kind of team.

Re: loan fees specifically I don't think that's true..... And it still doesn't account for the scammy-ness behind the Nevez purchase to start with.... Why on earth would any club in that position loan out their new super-duper 60m star midfielder that is better than 99% of the players in that league??? ...Unless it's part of an FFP scam?

Re; Fair market value; lets say in simple terms the depreciation on a 60m player over a 4 year contract is 15m per season..... You can bet your ass NC won't pay that much for a loan fee if they get him.

It wasn't a penalty, but they probably should have had one earlier.

And as we know from experience - you can't be camped in your area for 30 mins conceding loads of shots on goal.....eventually they'll score
Aye, Eddie Howe said the same thing. Isak admitted that we probably started defending too early. I just don't think we had the energy to do anything else. Nothing on the bench either. Maybe, Maybe bring Hall on for some fresh legs, but I'm not sure that reward outweighed the risk.

Aye, Eddie Howe said the same thing. Isak admitted that we probably started defending too early. I just don't think we had the energy to do anything else. Nothing on the bench either. Maybe, Maybe bring Hall on for some fresh legs, but I'm not sure that reward outweighed the risk.

So essentially you "deserved" to win cos you were tired?

:pritchardeyes:

I don't think it applies to loans - they drafted the rule in a hurry and it only applies to permanent transfers

Ah, I thought it did. Oh well, I’m back to being very fucking miffed in that case.

They wouldn't be getting such a big shirt sponsorship on the basis of one CL qualification..... 12 months prior they were a fucking repeat relegation bothers

How much do Forest, Villa or Leeds get (also historically big names)? That's roughly the benchmark for that kind of team.

No, they probably wouldn’t. But as fish guy says, halfway between those clubs you quoted and the likes of ourselves? Probably about right when you add in the big club in a big city thing and the future possibilities. And the only club you quoted that is even close to Newcastle on any grounds is Villa. Leeds are champo and Forest should be. Villa themselves have only been good for a year and weren’t near CL qualification.

No, they probably wouldn’t. But as fish guy says, halfway between those clubs you quoted and the likes of ourselves? Probably about right when you add in the big club in a big city thing and the future possibilities. And the only club you quoted that is even close to Newcastle on any grounds is Villa. Leeds are champo and Forest should be. Villa themselves have only been good for a year and weren’t near CL qualification.

I'm talking about the Villa that, like Newcastle, had been bobbling about at the bottom (both suffering a relegation in recent memory)....... 1 season in the CL out of nowhere is the outlier; otherwise I think the comparison is spot on.

I'm talking about big-ish name clubs that have hovered around the bottom of the EPL and the championship...... Leeds def (6m).... Throw WH in there too (10m).... Everton is another (10m)....

Did Lester's commercial viability rocket overnight when they actually WON the league?

JxtxERp.md.png

2 or 3 years more of what NC have been doing then yeah; maybe 25m becomes plausible, but not yet.

State of Man City tho'..... 68m set back in 2009. They hadn't done jack-shit back then........ Fraud-Cunts.

I'm talking about the Villa that, like Newcastle, had been bobbling about at the bottom (both suffering a relegation in recent memory)....... 1 season in the CL out of nowhere is the outlier; otherwise I think the comparison is spot on.

I'm talking about big-ish name clubs that have hovered around the bottom of the EPL and the championship...... Leeds def (6m).... Throw WH in there too (10m).... Everton is another (10m)....

Did Lester's commercial viability rocket overnight when they actually WON the league?

JxtxERp.md.png

2 or 3 years more of what NC jave been doing then yeah; maybe 25m becomes plausible, but not yet.
According to that chart, we don’t know how much Villa are on. Or Lester for that matter. Even then, Newcastle are a bigger club than Lester, title or not.

There’s a strong argument to say that Newcastle are in the correct place in that chart you’ve posted. But just what I think. Happy to disagree.

According to that chart, we don’t know how much Villa are on. Or Lester for that matter.

Well, dig a bit yourself and fill in the gaps.... WH & Everton prove the point enough as it is IMO.

Newcastle are nothing more than those two with a sudden inheritance.

EDIT: Villa currently 6m rising to 8m in a 2026......

Even then, Newcastle are a bigger club than Lester, title or not.

Everton, WH, Leeds are tho'.

Regardless; size of club was not the point of referencing Lester... It's about the commercial impact of one good season (be that CL qualification or an EPL win; which is a kind comparison in that respect).

Like I said; I think it's premature to be considering NC prime marketing material.

There’s a strong argument to say that Newcastle are in the correct place in that chart you’ve posted. But just what I think. Happy to disagree.

Touché.

Gutsy?

You were only in it because PSG were so wasteful. In my opinion you got what you deserved.

Also, you've come to the wrong place to moan about a depleted squad!

Why the fuck do you come on here anyway? Nobody likes your club, I didn't like it before you came rich so definitely not now.

It's just weird to me, not sure what you're getting out of it.

Shocking penalty decision but we've suffered worse and on a much bigger stage.
I got asked that question once on another club's forum years ago. It was mainly because I liked to talk Football with fans other than my own.

I was respectful, articulate and never on the wind up, pretty much like Thisfish.

I got dogs abuse from the fuckwits on there regardless, so I didn't bother after that.

I don't much like Newcastle either, but the guy has done nothing to merit a cunt off.

JxtxERp.md.png

2 or 3 years more of what NC have been doing then yeah; maybe 25m becomes plausible, but not yet.

State of Man City tho'..... 68m set back in 2009. They hadn't done jack-shit back then........ Fraud-Cunts.

The joke is as well that they essentially have to check with the league what level they can charge their sponsors

It's so obviously not 'fair market value' as the 'sponsor' would pay any level if allowed to.....it's not a commercial deal available to any other club at that point

Well, dig a bit yourself and fill in the gaps.... WH & Everton prove the point enough as it is IMO.

Regardless; size of club was not the point of referencing Lester... It's about the commercial impact of one good season (be that CL qualification or an EPL win; which is a kind comparison in that respect).

Like I said; I think it's premature to be considering NC prime marketing material.

Touché.
I think Aberdeenyid touched on a possible legitimate reason as to why Newcastle sponsorship would outstrip that of their recent "peer" clubs, and that is future commerciality.

It's not unreasonable for the figure to be higher, as the massive financial backing they now have could be seen as something that will ensure they stay up at the top. I don't know how long the sponsorship deal is for, but if it is for say 10 years, then the sponsor may see £25M as a snip, if they're constantly getting exposure in the same way the likes of City now get.

I'm with AY, I don't see anything inflated in that deal.

Touché.
Leicester signed a £16m deal with King Power back in 2010 when they were only in the Championship.

It's not just a deal from one good season though, is it? For example, Adidas wouldn't be getting back in bed with us if they weren't expecting us to keep building. The sponsorship deal considers many, many things. As I said before, we're a PL club with all the benefits that infers, we're in the Champions League and are in the conversation for qualifying for it next season, and we're an oil state backed club whose ambitions are as big as the owners' bank account. This and more will be taken into account when looking at what is a 'fair market value'.

Back
Top Bottom