Dane Scarlett

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Unused sub today in the first game under their new manager Mousinho. He's played about 90 minutes combined in their last 6 league games. Think the club need to contact Pompey for clarification over his playing time because he has gone from a starting player to a fringe player and if he's not in the new managers plans then we should probably consider reloaning him elsewhere

Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but Devine and Scarlett are essentially the only two youth prospects with any real chance of being first team difference makers.

We HAVE to make sure he is getting adequate game time and not fuck this kid’s development up. Our academy is so shallow at present.

It’s one of the many problems this club currently face.

Unused sub today in the first game under their new manager Mousinho. He's played about 90 minutes combined in their last 6 league games. Think the club need to contact Pompey for clarification over his playing time because he has gone from a starting player to a fringe player and if he's not in the new managers plans then we should probably consider reloaning him elsewhere
Unused sub 2nd match in a row...

1. Subbed off on 86 mins

73 mins - Attempt blocked. Dane Scarlett (Portsmouth) right footed shot from the left side of the box is blocked. Assisted by Connor Ogilvie with a headed pass. (One ex Spur almost assisting a current Spur !)

Player ratings from PompeyLive GW26

Dane Scarlett - 5​

(Replaced by Joe Pigott on 86 mins) Encouragingly beat Nathan Thompson twice in the first half, but overall saw very little of him. Had Pompey’s first shot on target in the 67th minute. Very quiet return to the side.

Think the struggles after a good start, might really be good for him. It’s given his body a rest after I suspect he hit a physicality wall. Plus, it should, if my suspicion is correct, give him more focus and drive to stretch every sinew and get the absolute most of his talent.

Not concerned at all by this, hopefully he can put a run together and add 5-8 Goals/Assists latter half of the Season.

Player ratings from PompeyLive GW26

Dane Scarlett - 5​

(Replaced by Joe Pigott on 86 mins) Encouragingly beat Nathan Thompson twice in the first half, but overall saw very little of him. Had Pompey’s first shot on target in the 67th minute. Very quiet return to the side.

As highlighted - had Pompey's first shot in 67th minute

If Pompey's entire team can only get the first shot on target in 67th minute, no surprise Scarlett is struggling to score regularly, its a club problem which is they do not create many chances.

In some ways its a shame as he won't have many goal scoring opportunities, on the other hand its all part of a learning experience that if there aren't many chances he needs to be very clinical to put them away. Hopefully next season his next club will create more chances !

What an iconic name of their head-coach, John Mousinho :cool:

'The world at his feet': Portsmouth boss salutes Spurs starlet after last-gasp triumph over Burton​

John Mousinho believes Spurs starlet Dane Scarlett has the ‘world at his feet’.

By Neil Allen
6 hours ago- 2 min read
Updated 14th Feb 2023, 10:35pm

And he has backed the 18-year-old to continue to flourish after a first league goal since September earned the Blues a stoppage-time triumph over Burton.

With the match headed towards a frustrating goalless draw, two minutes into time added-on Connor Ogilvie crossed from the left and Joe Pigott headed the ball back.

And he has backed the 18-year-old to continue to flourish after a first league goal since September earned the Blues a stoppage-time triumph over Burton.

With the match headed towards a frustrating goalless draw, two minutes into time added-on Connor Ogilvie crossed from the left and Joe Pigott headed the ball back.

There was substitute Scarlett to sweep the ball home in front of the Fratton End to claim a 1-0 win.

It arrived days after the striker was criticised for not passing to Paddy Lane at Home Park in a promising position.
Now he’s the Pompey hero.

Mousinho told The News: ‘That’s what we were talking to Dane about on Saturday.
‘At Plymouth he showed Premier League quality to burst from the left-back area into the middle of the park and went away from 3-4 players, then it was a bit of decision-making in the final third.
‘If Dane takes his man on 100 times in the game and loses it 99 times then that’s fine, we don’t mind it, we want to see his pace and his power.

‘That manifests itself sometimes, hopefully when the ball drops in the box and he puts his foot through it - and it proved to be the match winner for us against Burton.

‘Dane doesn’t lack confidence anyway, he’s a really confident young lad, and he’s going to go on to have a brilliant career, that is why Tottenham have him on a long-term contract.
‘He is still incredibly young, at 18 he has the world at his feet, and the more goals he can get the better.
‘The more important thing is the performance and coming on and making a difference. If he doesn't get the goal, then he doesn’t get the goal, they will definitely come.’

Really don't see the benefit of hyping up these youngsters too early, if the kid has potential then great. But let them Grow.

Very very few are like the Rooney's of this world.

Loads thought Troy parrot was the second coming of Kane and while he might end up being a good player he's miles off premier league level.

I'm all for giving youth a chance but the over hyping for me doesn't do anything other than inflate egos or add pressure. Unless they're truly exceptional.

Hopefully Dane learns a lot from his loan and gets another next season and continues to improve.

He is still aged 18, so everything can change over next few years.

But a very positive commentary on his his first loan.

Dane Scarlett has always been a central striker in our youth teams, right?

It will probably help his development, and provide more first team opportunities (wherever he's playing), if he shows he can also play as a wide forward cutting inside.

Dane Scarlett has always been a central striker in our youth teams, right?

It will probably help his development, and provide more first team opportunities (wherever he's playing), if he shows he can also play as a wide forward cutting inside.

Correct, always no 9.

I'm not sure he was ever seen playing wide in youth (or if he did only a couple of games) so being a wide forward will be a new experience and change him from being a 'goals only ' striker to a more rounded player inter alia creating assists for the striker in the team

another league one loan, or championship?
I think another league 1 loan would be the sensible option. I think it would be a mistake to move him up to the champo too soon (& he's still young enough for us to be patient). Most important thing at the moment is consistent game time and he's more likely to get that in league 1. The club always puts january recall clauses in the youth loan deals so if he went to league 1 and absolutely smashed it the first half of next season then we would always have the option to move him up a tier although not going to get my hopes up!

Back
Top Bottom