Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Unpopular opinion - I’d keep Sanchez. I like his pace/physicality to help deal with threats from quick forwards plus he’s still youngish. I expect to get laughed at for this.

Nothing to laugh about.

Watch what happened in Gundogan vs Sanchez situation and cry. Nothing to laugh over when a player we paid 40+ mEUR lacks most basic skills that CB should possess. Really-really sad situation. Paired with having a midfielder without first touch and passing ability.

Unpopular opinion - I’d keep Sanchez. I like his pace/physicality to help deal with threats from quick forwards plus he’s still youngish. I expect to get laughed at for this.
Sanchez certainly has a bit of pace about him but physicality? I genuinely believe he’s the physically weakest centreback in my lifetime.

Yes, skinny little Foyth was stronger or at least was able to avoid being muscled off the ball as easily as Sanchez.

Sanchez certainly has a bit of pace about him but physicality? I genuinely believe he’s the physically weakest centreback in my lifetime.

Yes, skinny little Foyth was stronger or at least was able to avoid being muscled off the ball as easily as Sanchez.
I’m not sure I agree about Foyth, he is way better on the ball but I’ve seen Sanchez play physically well defensively. Certainly some of Sanchez’s blooper moments contradict this.

I’m pretty much the only one defending him on here for a reason and I am aware that he has overall been a disappointment. But I just see potential in him (however irrational) and CB development takes time.

I’m not sure I agree about Foyth, he is way better on the ball but I’ve seen Sanchez play physically well defensively. Certainly some of Sanchez’s blooper moments contradict this.

I’m pretty much the only one defending him on here for a reason and I am aware that he has overall been a disappointment. But I just see potential in him (however irrational) and CB development takes time.
Foyth looked surprisingly well against Antonio. Every time Sanchez plays against someone weighing more than 12 stone he ends up falling over. I remember my friend defending Sanchez a few years ago “he is so strong that sometimes he doesn’t think he needs to try in duels so can be overpowered”

Na mate, he’s weak as piss.

I agree completely. At 25 he’s still a baby for a CB. Stones & Maguire have gone from zero to hero in 3 years and Van Dijk only became properly dominant at 27.

Dier is a much bigger issue with his horrible habit of not challenging for crosses into his zone and the blaming everybody else. And he’s at his supposed peak

Sanchez isn’t “weak” he just has a terrible habit of mis-timing when to put his shoulder in. It’s a balance issue more than anything and that’s what gets him into trouble.
Whilst I agree his ability to use his body is a huge issue, he is weak. He has no core strength at all, and although size isn’t everything his legs are quite small as well. You can not be consistently bullied and not be weak.

He's dog shit. Just admit it to yourself like the rest of us have long ago and let that be that.

I do actually think he could become a monster, but his confidence is shot and probably needs a fresh start

He has zero composure and intelligence. For a centre-back, that's a big problem. Add to the fact that he's often rash and just doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. He's a Colombian Titus Bramble.

I agree completely. At 25 he’s still a baby for a CB. Stones & Maguire have gone from zero to hero in 3 years and Van Dijk only became properly dominant at 27.

Dier is a much bigger issue with his horrible habit of not challenging for crosses into his zone and the blaming everybody else. And he’s at his supposed peak

"Baby"? What a load of bull.
If 25 yo defender is totally unable to read the flight of the ball, this is not amendable. Nothing about being dominant. And most about lacking most basic skills that should be there at 16.

"Baby"? What a load of bull.
If 25 yo defender is totally unable to read the flight of the ball, this is not amendable. Nothing about being dominant. And most about lacking most basic skills that should be there at 16.
He can read the flight of the ball, in fact that was one of his strengths actually getting to the ball, it's what he did with it that caused the problems. The guy has gone backwards each season he's been at Spurs, but to single him out is bollocks. We didn't have one CB that amounted to anything good last season.

He can read the flight of the ball, in fact that was one of his strengths actually getting to the ball, it's what he did with it that caused the problems. The guy has gone backwards each season he's been at Spurs, but to single him out is bollocks. We didn't have one CB that amounted to anything good last season.

Yet his showing against City is the meme that sums up the defensive woes to me.

"one of the strenghts" ?!? How many times did he let the ball fly over him last season where he clearly should have cleared it, which led to dangerous situation? Way too many is the answer.

And of course he was not the single problem last season. It is not like if we upgrade him to Romero, everything will be fine with our defense. Absolutely not.

But just as you said - he has gone backwards each season. Then explain - why in the world do we want him to continue to get worse, let his value decrease and pay him for play worse and worse as time goes? Why should we then do it? How is that reasonable?

Yet his showing against City is the meme that sums up the defensive woes to me.

"one of the strenghts" ?!? How many times did he let the ball fly over him last season where he clearly should have cleared it, which led to dangerous situation? Way too many is the answer.

And of course he was not the single problem last season. It is not like if we upgrade him to Romero, everything will be fine with our defense. Absolutely not.

But just as you said - he has gone backwards each season. Then explain - why in the world do we want him to continue to get worse, let his value decrease and pay him for play worse and worse as time goes? Why should we then do it? How is that reasonable?
I don't.

But to single him out in a sea of shite is wrong. Rodon and Tanganga we have hopes for, but neither are convincing, the rest were awful.

And the combination of Sanchez and Dier is toxic especially if Winks and Sissoko are in front of them

And the combination of Sanchez and Dier is toxic especially if Winks and Sissoko are in front of them
Davinson was fine when he arrived and Vertonghen was his partner or he was the middle of a 3. Vertonghen’s decline and exit impacted him massively I feel.

Romero has a lot of Jan traits and I’d much rather Dier was sold first.

See I'm trying to work out this formation Nuno is going for, and to be honest I simply can't get it. If we do sign Takehiro and Romero are we looking at something like

Lloris
Takehiro - Romero - Rodon
Doherty Hojberg El Burro
GLC Belly
Son Kane

We know El Burro can't defend and Hojberg isn't a DM and falls out of a game if he gets a caution. GLC and Belly aren't massively effective together and both kill a counter attack. So the other option is drop one of GLC or Belly to bring in Gil ,which leaves us lightweight through the middle, or Skipp which blunts our attacking threat.

Back
Top Bottom