Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Liverpool got their pants pulled down. Toby is twice the player VVD is but £60m is good business with one year left until a £25m release clause is triggered. Personally I'd like a swap for Rashford if it comes down to it and Toby wants to leave. I hope that isn't the case

If he leaves, we HAVE to make sure it's abroad. Sick of strengthening our rivals, we don't need rashford. I do rate him but I don't think he is better than anything we already have in that area of the field.

Alli had a slow start to the season but I thought against the goons and Juve he was excellent. Starting to find his form in a massive part of the season. He may not have scored the amount of goals he did last year but he is really effecting games at the moment, people need to remember that it isn’t all about goalscoring.

If he leaves, we HAVE to make sure it's abroad. Sick of strengthening our rivals, we don't need rashford. I do rate him but I don't think he is better than anything we already have in that area of the field.

Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG and Bayern don't need players like Dele. They already have great attacking midfielders. He's not leaving anywhere, he's most hated player in PL. We're gonna keep him, I'm positive.

It’s frightening to think what he’ll be like by the time he gets to mid twenties... I can’t understand anyone that wants (or would be happy enough) to see him leave.

My thinking is simply if we don't get the Dele of last season and the one prior back next year, we never will.
Rooney started with a bang and then what?

There is a massive danger that the player just becomes another nearly man.
Right now, while he is playing well, and has improved 1000% from earlier in the season, he is still the player for me that we would miss the least of the AMs.

I'm not talking about last season or next season, I'm talking about this season.

Also, the money you would get for Dele compared with Lamela would be pretty significant.
I DO NOT WANT DELE SOLD.

But there is no harm in hypothetically talking about it.
I think if he stays we see a return to the old form next year, and I think more than anyone he himself will be really disappointed this season on a personal level.

But just patting him on the back and talking about English player fairytales can only carry him so far. He is generally being outperformed by his peers in most games.

My question is this, if he plays the same way next season, and Lamela continues to grow, Moura becomes our VDV, Eriksen continues to be world class, and Son keeps ripping teams to bits when he plays, what will you all want from Dele? How long do you hope someone gets their form back?

Rooney became all time top goal scorer for Man Utd and England. Not sure mentioning him makes your point any stronger.
Completely agree.

If Alli achieves 80% of what Rooney has done in his career and if that is with us then we would reap the benefits.

The negativity on Rooney is bizarre because he has been phenomenal.

Alli has a long way to go in the game and even further to get anywhere near Rooney.

My thinking is simply if we don't get the Dele of last season and the one prior back next year, we never will.

Right now, while he is playing well, and has improved 1000% from earlier in the season, he is still the player for me that we would miss the least of the AMs.

I'm not talking about last season or next season, I'm talking about this season.

Also, the money you would get for Dele compared with Lamela would be pretty significant.
I DO NOT WANT DELE SOLD.

I think if he stays we see a return to the old form next year, and I think more than anyone he himself will be really disappointed this season on a personal level.

But just patting him on the back and talking about English player fairytales can only carry him so far. He is generally being outperformed by his peers in most games.

My question is this, if he plays the same way next season, and Lamela continues to grow, Moura becomes our VDV, Eriksen continues to be world class, and Son keeps ripping teams to bits when he plays, what will you all want from Dele? How long do you hope someone gets their form back?

I couldn't find you more wrong. We sell Dele to a PL club, we'll regret it.

Agreed, if we bring Rashford in then great, brilliant squad player, but not as part of a swap deal for a better player.

Alli had a slow start to the season but I thought against the goons and Juve he was excellent. Starting to find his form in a massive part of the season. He may not have scored the amount of goals he did last year but he is really effecting games at the moment, people need to remember that it isn’t all about goalscoring.

He has had low points in every season, but when you look at his season as a whole come the end of the year I think it will still look like a good season for him. He hasn't got the goals, but his assists are good and I agree he is influencing games. I also feel a lot more relaxed about his temperament this season, last season if he got booked, taken out or made a strong tackle himself, I just thought ooo God he is going to have that bit between his teeth and get sent off.

I DO NOT WANT DELE SOLD.

I personally think Rooney is (well was) a brilliant player, when he was no longer scoring 30 goals a season and Fergie dropped him back into midfield or that number 10 position, he fucking ruined us on more than one occasion.

I think Dele needs to be as clever as he can be in big games, if he plays some of those clever passes, or takes some one out of the game just once in a big game that leads to a goal, great player. I don't want to look at his stats at the end of the season and see he has scored 20 goals in that season, but he scored 6 braces against the relegation battlers. I want to see him winning games from a moment of brilliance that need to be won (like Sonny I might add).

Completely agree. There's been a pattern over the last couple years of him finding his feet after the turn of the New Year (perhaps down to adjusting to defenders ganging up on him, or adding something new to his game, I'm not sure).

It looks like he's beginning to do the same thing again this season - which is darn good timing for our run in.
:allitongue:

The best way I rationalise what he's good at currently is as a 'defender magnet'. While Dele is pulling opposition defenders out of position and drawing fouls, he's making space for Eriksen (and more importantly, Kane). If he can make more passes like he did for Kane against Juve then he'll notch a few more assists before the season is out - love that part of his game.

Rooney became all time top goal scorer for Man Utd and England. Not sure mentioning him makes your point any stronger.
Yeah because that was the whole point. Doesn't make alter if it was Rooney, the point was that it's easy to burst onto the scene and be called world class potential yet five years later still treading water

I couldn't find you more wrong. We sell Dele to a PL club, we'll regret it.
It's funny because you you couldn't find me more wrong even though I said in massive capitals
I DO NOT WANT DELE SOLD

So you disagree with that? Or you just thought you'd write a post that makes out I said sell Dele to PL club. I haven't mentioned selling him to any club, just drew a parallel to his value compared to Lamelas, and his form compared to his peers in the squad.

Feels like the disagree mafia is still too sensitive to sensibly discuss Dele Alli, so I'm out.

My opinion is crystal clear, do what you want with it.

It's funny because you you couldn't find me more wrong even though I said in massive capitals
I DO NOT WANT DELE SOLD

So you disagree with that? Or you just thought you'd write a post that makes outbi said sell Dele to PL club. I haven't mentioned selling him to any club, just drew a parallel to his value compared to Lamelas, and his form compared to his peers in the squad.

Feels like the disagree mafia is still too sensitive to sensibly discuss Dele Alli, so I'm out.

My opinion is crystal clear, do what you want with it.

Whatever man, you've been banging this particular drum all fucking season long.

It's tedious.

Yeah because that was the whole point. Doesn't make alter if it was Rooney, the point was that it's easy to burst onto the scene and be called world class potential yet five years later still treading water
Didn’t suggest it was your whole point. It was the bit I had issue with. I just don’t think you should use a record goal scorer to support a point on treading water and not improving.

I don’t think you needed a like example anyway as your argument is perfectly simple without it. I agree that Dele hasn’t improved on last season, but he’d have to go some to improve each season. He’d be scoring 200 a season by the time he turned 32!

Most hated footballer in world football.

UntriedAgedDoe-max-1mb.gif

I DO NOT WANT DELE SOLD.

I agree with your point in principle, but it's far to early to judge him about this now.
My own opinion is that when we break on the opposition, he takes to long to make his mind up as to what to do.
I have said previously on other threads that I think he would be amazing in a deeper position, with his work rate,tackling etc and he would have a bit more time to pick a pass and would not be playing so much with his back to goal, which IMO appears to be a slight weakness with him

I just think his role is different this year.

Last year he was basically a second striker.

Fans and pundits will pick him apart for his lack of goals or lack of assists etc (Even though he has a relatively modest return this season in all competitions) but I still think he's having decent games.

Back
Top Bottom