Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He has been average to poor but even last season managed 9 goals and i think 5 assists. Better stats than the likes of Maddison and as good as Grealish. No question from me that he needs to step it up but unless he's leaving i dont understand the freezing out. I guess if Gedson is so promising we'll be paying the £40m next summer.

It's a myth when he is compared to midfielders like those who play deeper and build play.

Even the stats after his first two seasons touting him as having scored way more than Lampard and Gerrard at the same age. While it was nice to trot those out to wind up other fans he was never really a midfielder.

He was played as a second striker when he got those numbers and they are no doubt still impressive.

But ultimately he has always looked poor when played deeper as his game is not well rounded.

I'm not bothered by Dele's freezing out because either it is Covid being kept under wraps or he is about to leave. Either one means he shouldn't be in matchday squads.

If it is neither of those then it means players are performing better than him in training and in games and deserve a place a head of him. Again I have no problem with this.

For me it is clear to see what Jose is trying to build mentality-wise in that dressing room and it was painfully obvious from the AoN doc that big change was needed.

While Ndombele was always clearly a great talent, I backed Jose and was okay with us selling if it meant strengthening other areas with players more suited to his vision. The project is more important than any one player.

Yet Ndombele has seemingly turned it around and I'm delighted. If he can come back from where he was then why cant Dele?

I think the simple answer which people can't really accept, because it's still 2016 in their minds, is that he is nowhere near good enough to get ahead of the likes of Lo Celso, Ndombele and Bale.

I don't know what they are saying about Dele or Mourinho, but I do know I can't stomach them. Last time I listened to anything by Nathan was his analysis of Hojbjerg and Celik. He pulled out some pie charts and started comparing Celik to Ben Davies, and said he was a good player!!!! :mourcry: That's an oxymoron right there. I didn't even make it to the end. I watch Lille regularly and Celik is ordinary by Ligue 1 standards, let alone PL standards.

Yeah they are pretty cringe but it's almost fun to listen to them find new and creative ways to avoid giving Mourinho credit despite our uptick in form.

Bardi is the voice of reason but he lets far too much nonsense slide from the other two.

It's a myth when he is compared to midfielders like those who play deeper and build play.

Even the stats after his first two seasons touting him as having scored way more than Lampard and Gerrard at the same age. While it was nice to trot those out to wind up other fans he was never really a midfielder.

He was played as a second striker when he got those numbers and they are no doubt still impressive.

But ultimately he has always looked poor when played deeper as his game is not well rounded.

I'm not bothered by Dele's freezing out because either it is Covid being kept under wraps or he is about to leave. Either one means he shouldn't be in matchday squads.

If it is neither of those then it means players are performing better than him in training and in games and deserve a place a head of him. Again I have no problem with this.

For me it is clear to see what Jose is trying to build mentality-wise in that dressing room and it was painfully obvious from the AoN doc that big change was needed.

While Ndombele was always clearly a great talent, I backed Jose and was okay with us selling if it meant strengthening other areas with players more suited to his vision. The project is more important than any one player.

Yet Ndombele has seemingly turned it around and I'm delighted. If he can come back from where he was then why cant Dele?

I think the simple answer which people can't really accept, because it's still 2016 in their minds, is that he is nowhere near good enough to get ahead of the likes of Lo Celso, Ndombele and Bale.
I haven't said anywhere he should be starting ahead of those players. My point is in a massively busy fixture schedule when we need all players that freezing one out is counter productive. No thinking its 2016 in my mind, i'm fully aware of how he has played for 2 years.

Yeah they are pretty cringe but it's almost fun to listen to them find new and creative ways to avoid giving Mourinho credit despite our uptick in form.

Bardi is the voice of reason but he lets far too much nonsense slide from the other two.
Well, I don't like Mourinho's brand of football, etc, and I don't know what they are saying, but I just can't listen to them. One of the last times I remember tuning in to one of their pods was where they reviewed the performances of all our players after the 2018-2019 season, if I remember correctly. It was pure vanilla, where any criticism seemed to be off the table. It was like a religious service or something.

Positive comments from the manager, Dele could play tomorrow, hope so.
JM's clearly got a checkered history with man management, but Dele is the type of player he can really get a tune out of, done it loads. Players with buckets of skill but where it's not firing.

Ndomb is Chalk and Cheese compared to what he was. He can only do that turnaround if his head is totally in the right place. That was more of a challenge imo.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see a revitalised Dele coming back.

JM's clearly got a checkered history with man management, but Dele is the type of player he can really get a tune out of, done it loads. Players with buckets of skill but where it's not firing.

Ndomb is Chalk and Cheese compared to what he was. He can only do that turnaround if his head is totally in the right place. That was more of a challenge imo.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see a revitalised Dele coming back.
I would. He's playing fairly bad for at least two years and were never challenged for the managers. This aparently feud with Mourinho came exactly when he contested Dele commitment whe he was taken off at half time agains Everton.

For me, it seems Dele is imature and thinks he should have his place granted among the starters despite being shite. Also he seemed to react very bad to that, if not he wouldn't be taken off the squad as he was and rumours are surging that he wants to go away.

Dele had at least two years to sort himself out and nothing happen, I can't see in him a person that will take Mourinho's advice and improve and so on, he had lots of time to do that already, but he doesn't seems to give a fuck.

I would. He's playing fairly bad for at least two years and were never challenged for the managers. This aparently feud with Mourinho came exactly when he contested Dele commitment whe he was taken off at half time agains Everton.

For me, it seems Dele is imature and thinks he should have his place granted among the starters despite being shite. Also he seemed to react very bad to that, if not he wouldn't be taken off the squad as he was and rumours are surging that he wants to go away.

Dele had at least two years to sort himself out and nothing happen, I can't see in him a person that will take Mourinho's advice and improve and so on, he had lots of time to do that already, but he doesn't seems to give a fuck.
FWIW, I think you're probably right.
The only caveat I would add is that Dele was maybe "indulged " by Poch due to lack of options/injuries to other players. He became complacent and "entitled" to his place.
Under Jose he's had a very rude awakening and he now knows Jose won't take any shit from anyone, so he now has two options;
A) Do a Danny (not google but see Danial to get a transfer)
or
B) Knuckle down, work hard and win his place back (Sissoko, Ndombele)

Which one it is will determine his character, personally, I'd prefer the latter but I think it will be the former. Every time he was subbed (inc. under Poch) he came off as very sulky to me.

You make a couple of good points. He is not a midfielder and has played his best football behind Harry Kane which we can't accomodate now. Doesn't mean he can't learn but there doesn't seem to be the desire or ability to adapt at the highest level.
If its a personality thing and he is not good for the dressing room and refuses to change then for that reason I can accept him being sold.
Yes the stats are confusing when comparing players played in different positions but most if not all his goals last season were from a midfield position.
Yes some of us are living in 2016 still but that's the player we know is in there somewhere and will be gutting to see him trot out ripping other teams apart when we couldn't get the best out of him.

Training today.

EjLDr3TXYAEeWH1

Surely dele isnt going to be first choice, he doesnt work hard enough for the team thats why he didnt make the league cup team, jose didnt trust him.

If he doesnt even make the bench in tomorrows game then thats surely proof that hes gone, i expect a career defining performance from him else i couldnt give 2 craps about him in a spurs shirt anyways as he would just be justifying joses decision not to play him anyways.

Surely dele isnt going to be first choice, he doesnt work hard enough for the team thats why he didnt make the league cup team, jose didnt trust him.

If he doesnt even make the bench in tomorrows game then thats surely proof that hes gone, i expect a career defining performance from him else i couldnt give 2 craps about him in a spurs shirt anyways as he would just be justifying joses decision not to play him anyways.
He has NEVER said that! In fact he's saying the complete opposite.

Back
Top Bottom