Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Could have sworn he went to some fitness training centre/camp abroad in the summer break.

As for getting rid, loads of clubs would want him but good luck dealing with Levy.

I think so. Fucking hard to find goalscorers and whilst he’s been pony for a while, he clearly has (had) the ability to make things in the PL in the final third. If we are realistic with the price, I think someone will take a chance

Any scout with half a brain will see that he's no use to a bottom half club.......

Everton or bust........ and they're skint.

I feel sorry for Dele as at least he looks to be trying on the pitch unlike Tanguy. He at least contributed to the club. I may be blind but he doesn't look happy when he's not playing good and subbed out.
Does he really have an attitude issue like some are saying he does?
He doesn't have an attitude prob. The fans still love him and sing his song.
A couple of times yesterday he made his trademark run into the box. In days of old Eriksen or Toby would punt the ball to him and he scores.
Yesterday the pass did not come.

He's been finished for at least 3 years but is still hanging round like a bad smell. Shocking from Levy really.

3 years ago he was just 22 and trying to fight back from injury........ Given his track record it's obvious we would be patient with him. It would have been insane not to.

Tanguy taking the heat off of him. He has had a major attitude problem and been stealing a living while putting this club that pays his living way down the pecking order behind all his social media and branding etc. How he is still loved by fans is beyond me only started putting in effort since this pre season far too late for that. He's stagnated he doesn't do what he used to be good at He's a league 1 player now earning champions league wages.

3 years ago he was just 22 and trying to fight back from injury........ Given his track record it's obvious we would be patient with him. It would have been insane not to.
Nope. His weaknesses have been clear as day since his arrival despite the goal scoring exploits of his first two seasons. Once we stopped playing the one specific system that suits him, with world class players surrounding him, he has been trash.

Also how much patience should we have shown? How many more opportunities like Morecombe does he need?

Levy just couldn't bring himself to sanction the sale of a former "£100m" player for £30-40m as he should have done a few years ago. Now we'll be lucky to see £20m.

One of the clearest examples of the horrible squad management which has brought us to the position we are in today.

Nope. His weaknesses have been clear as day since his arrival despite the goal scoring exploits of his first two seasons. Once we stopped playing the one specific system that suits him, with world class players surrounding him, he has been trash.

Also how much patience should we have shown? How many more opportunities like Morecombe does he need?

Levy just couldn't bring himself to sanction the sale of a former "£100m" player for £30-40m as he should have done a few years ago. Now we'll be lucky to see £20m.

One of the clearest examples of the horrible squad management which has brought us to the position we are in today.
Fully agree on paras 2-4. But he was genuinely fantastic 2015-2018ish. Just look at the beautiful goals he scored, and consider the confidence and aggression he had . He had gaps in his game, but he was only about 19. Then the downfall was rapid and probably permanent.

I’ve pretty much given up on him, which hurts as at one point I thought he was going to be the jewel in the crown. The figures be posted in his first three seasons, and the general moments of magic and skill he displayed, were wonderful. I don’t actually think he’s lacking in effort, I just feel he can’t do it anymore, something’s gone. Whether it’s physical, mental, or as is often the case, a combination, I don’t know, but it’s sad to see.

If we sold him down the ladder and he returned to something like his best, I’d be genuinely chuffed for him.

My post wasn't a plea to give him more time, so calm down.

However; you're wrong about binning him off at 22.

"His weaknesses have been clear as day since his arrival"

Rubbish.... The player that arrived wasn't even the same player that we saw at 22. He arrived an all action box-2-box MF...... Not the aux-striker that he quickly evolved into.

Blathering about Levy is neither here nor there...... Nor is your bending timelines to say it's "One of the clearest examples of the horrible squad management"

The whole football world was high on Dele..... No-one would have binned him off at the first sign of a dip. NO-ONE.... No-one sane anyway.

Last edited:
My post wasn't a plea to give him more time, so calm down.

However; you're wrong about binning him off at 22.

"His weaknesses have been clear as day since his arrival"

Rubbish.... The player that arrived wasn't even the same player that we saw at 22. He arrived an all action box-2-box MF...... Not the aux-striker that he quickly evolved into.

Blathering about Levy is neither here nor there...... Nor is your bending timelines to say it's "One of the clearest examples of the horrible squad management"

The whole football world was high on Dele..... No-one would have binned him off at the first sign of a dip. NO-ONE.... No-one sane anyway.
Who said first sign? He has been on a downward trend since the end of the 16-17 season so yeah lets give him a period of grace (as if he will magically become technically proficient) of say one season? Two seasons?

That would still mean we part ways in the summer of 2019, a fair outcome in my opinion.

But no, it's January 2022 and Dele is bumbling about looking below par against League One opposition as a "number 9". Shocking squad management as I've said.

Who said first sign? He has been on a downward trend since the end of the 16-17 season so yeah lets give him a period of grace (as if he will magically become technically proficient) of say one season? Two seasons?

Meh.... 17/18 he still got decent numbers for his age and position despite his struggle with his hamstrings.... Still made it to the world cup that summer and still looked despite visibly playing through injury.

The fact is his numbers were insane..... They were bound to Peter out a bit..... That isn't a categoric sign of decline given he was just 21!

That would still mean we part ways in the summer of 2019, a fair outcome in my opinion.

But no, it's January 2022 and Dele is bumbling about looking below par against League One opposition as a "number 9". Shocking squad management as I've said.

He's never been a #9 so why emphasis that part?

Oh that's right; you're over egg-ing things to amplify something that shouldn't overwise require it.

Look; this is no defence of the players he now is....... But like I said before there's a whole load of hindsight involved in the manner you've weighed in on the subject here.

Meh.... 17/18 he still got decent numbers for his age and position despite his struggle with his hamstrings.... Still made it to the world cup that summer and still looked despite visibly playing through injury.

The fact is his numbers were insane..... They were bound to Peter out a bit..... That isn't a categoric sign of decline given he was just 21!

He's never been a #9 so why emphasis that part?

Oh that's right; you're over egg-ing things to amplify something that shouldn't overwise require it.

Look; this is no defence of the players he now is....... But like I said before there's a whole load of hindsight involved in the manner you've weighed in on the subject here.
People have been calling for Dele to moved on for a long time, sensible folk that is. Nothing to do with hindsight at all.

Sure you had the few that insisted he needed more time, another manager etc. But most could see it was never happening.

I emphasis the number 9 appearance as further evidence of shocking squad management. Firstly, because he's still here and secondly because he's being deployed in the wrong position because we have no better options - amplifying his shitness.

People have been calling for Dele to moved on for a long time, sensible folk that is. Nothing to do with hindsight at all.

Sure you had the few that insisted he needed more time, another manager etc. But most could see it was never happening.

Not in 2019 they weren't.... that's where the hindsight/revisionism comes into play.

I emphasis the number 9 appearance as further evidence of shocking squad management. Firstly, because he's still here and secondly because he's being deployed in the wrong position because we have no better options - amplifying his shitness.

I was concerning myself with Dele; not a broader grumble about whether or not the squad is shit.

Vest la vie.

We're clearly not going to agree on the Dele stuff so prob not worth pushing any harder.......

No, mate it was sarcasm.
I’ve been told that’s why Dele isn’t as good. The deeper role.
Just today I wrote that playing deeper doesn’t make his passing shit, and his decision making wrong and him waiting 5 minutes to do something with the ball, and killing every single counter attack and momentum.

So I’m not using his new role as an excuse. His technique and decision making has been atrocious.

That’s why I’d play Skipp, because Dele is an AM. I swear we would play him at left back rather than bench him.
Airfixx Airfixx There you go from TFCs most sensible poster back in April 2019.

He could have been describing the Dele that played yesterday.

Airfixx Airfixx There you go from TFCs most sensible poster back in April 2019.

😄

He could have been describing the Dele that played yesterday.

Even on face value, him being described to have been poor in a game doesnt equate to him having already had enough chance to recover his forn and that he should be binned off.

Like I say; we disagree. I don't think there's really any steam left in this debate.

We are where we are and I agree time's up.

I think it is unfair to bracket him with Ndombele. He tries and I understand that unlike Ndombele he was clapped off the field by the fans. He is in a group of players that if a satisfactory offer comes in should go but They cannot all go. Bergwijn is also in that group but we are short of attacking players and we are unlikely to replace both in the next 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom