Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have literally no idea about the quality of football in the MLS but I feel he will sell more tickets before he starts playing.
Dele would never be willing to slum it in MLS and his football doesn’t suit playing with a bunch of lesser players.

MLS guys are physically robust players with aggressive proactive styles who play hard and give a shit regardless of the game. Robbie Keane, Wayne Rooney, David Villa, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Ibrahimovic, etc.

Players who have lost a step of pace can make it (Kaka), but anyone who either doesn’t care (Lampard) or has trouble staying healthy is just going to get ground down, and players who need to interchange with other classy intelligent teammates (Pirlo) are going to have nothing to work with.

Dele would never be willing to slum it in MLS and his football doesn’t suit playing with a bunch of lesser players.

MLS guys are physically robust players with aggressive proactive styles who play hard and give a shit regardless of the game. Robbie Keane, Wayne Rooney, David Villa, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Ibrahimovic, etc.

Players who have lost a step of pace can make it (Kaka), but anyone who either doesn’t care or has trouble staying healthy is just going to get ground down.

Could imagine him fancying swanning around LA modelling sunglasses tho'.

I say this with all sincerity and not in defense of Dele, but I thought he was okay yesterday. He had a couple of moments that could have produced magic. The flick off a corner that forced a great save. Another attempted flick off a high corner kick that he nearly reached. He drew a foul just outside the area that gave us a free kick in a dangerous position. I saw him make a lot of runs without getting any passes.

A little less bad luck and he ends up having a very good game.

I say this with all sincerity and not in defense of Dele, but I thought he was okay yesterday. He had a couple of moments that could have produced magic. The flick off a corner that forced a great save. Another attempted flick off a high corner kick that he nearly reached. He drew a foul just outside the area that gave us a free kick in a dangerous position. I saw him make a lot of runs without getting any passes.

yeah he found his level against relegation-threatened Morecambe

Wow really?

Yep. Good post and I agree.

Nope. His weaknesses have been clear as day since his arrival despite the goal scoring exploits of his first two seasons. Once we stopped playing the one specific system that suits him, with world class players surrounding him, he has been trash.

Also how much patience should we have shown? How many more opportunities like Morecombe does he need?

Levy just couldn't bring himself to sanction the sale of a former "£100m" player for £30-40m as he should have done a few years ago. Now we'll be lucky to see £20m.

One of the clearest examples of the horrible squad management which has brought us to the position we are in today.
If he sold Dele to Madrid for 90m in his prime this forum (and me as well) would demand his head to be placed on top of cockerel at WHL.
We don't have any hindsight abilities, some decisions turn to be disastrous and it's not unusual. I love Dele, but I think there's no place for him at Spurs anymore. His goal vs CP is my favourite one of all Spurs goals, that Dele isn't coming back though.

If he sold Dele to Madrid for 90m in his prime this forum (and me as well) would demand his head to be placed on top of cockerel at WHL.
We don't have any hindsight abilities, some decisions turn to be disastrous and it's not unusual. I love Dele, but I think there's no place for him at Spurs anymore. His goal vs CP is my favourite one of all Spurs goals, that Dele isn't coming back though.

Would it? Really? For 90 million?

I mean if we didn't replace him, sure. But if we had gone out and signed a really highly rated player in his position from around Europe for 40/50 million and then added a top player elsewhere to that, I definitely wouldn't have been annoyed. Had they pocketed the money then sure, justified outrage.

That's how most clubs operate. Coutinho got sold because Barca put up an insane amount and Liverpool ended up hugely benefitting. Unless it's some god tier, Messi level talent there's always a price, and 90 or 100 million for Alli at any point would've been a tremendous fee.

We were in a position to attract big talents then too, we were a CL team playing good football and considered on the rise, as well as a place players were developing well.

No one said sell at his "prime" (20 years old).

His decline has been lengthy and obvious. Plenty of opportunities to shift before now while he still retained decent value. A competent, proactive recruitment team would have done this. But we have Levy and Hitchen so here we still are in 2022.

So basically you are saying that he attempted another flick off a corner but missed the ball and you are citing this as a highlight?! I stand corrected as he was clearly man of the match!!

He used to be a battler and now he's a show pony.

Unfortunately.

He had his aggression bashed out of him by the press and expros on tv and in the papers when he was younger accusing him of being too reckless. From that point his career was damaged. The hamstring injury then robbed him of the other facets of his game that made him useful.

I feel sorry for the guy. He didnt have the best upbringing and has done well to achieve what he has in the game but it is time for him to move on. A club like Palace would be a good one for him but I doubt he will want to go there. He will have to drop down a level before he can think about anything else.

He had his aggression bashed out of him by the press and expros on tv and in the papers when he was younger accusing him of being too reckless. From that point his career was damaged. The hamstring injury then robbed him of the other facets of his game that made him useful.

I feel sorry for the guy. He didnt have the best upbringing and has done well to achieve what he has in the game but it is time for him to move on. A club like Palace would be a good one for him but I doubt he will want to go there. He will have to drop down a level before he can think about anything else.
The press hounded him over his “diving” and his reckless tackling / short temper.
Add to that the injury and his new found love for all things social media/fast cars/fast women/tattoos/trendy haircuts.
I also feel for the lad. It’s a wasted talent. Shot to pieces by 25 through a combination of bad luck, bad press and bad decisions.
He needs to rebuild somewhere because whatever money he’s earned won’t keep him from looking back at what might have been when he eventually grows up.

Back
Top Bottom