Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Defoe a legend in your book?
Not quite for me. Great player and person though. I love what he did for Bradly too, albeit not at Spurs. He was here ages and scored tons. It's borderline for me - probably not quite a great enough player for me, though I really love Defoe. I mean if you look at his strike rate it's good rather than great.

Whether or not Defoe is a club legend is a good question as it does depend on who you asks definition of what makes a footballer a club legend.

Defoe however, WAS the clubs top European goalscorer only until he was overtaken by what some would consider a Spurs legend in Harry Kane. This means Defoe had more European goals than Chivers, Gilzean, Greaves...

He is 6th in the clubs ALL time top goalscoring charts. There are 5 people in the history of this club who have scored more goals than him. Would you consider the 5 above him legends? Greaves? Kane? Smith? Chivers? Cliff Jones?

I was so pleased he was eventually rewarded with an 07/08 League Cup winners medal despite being at Portsmouth at the time (he played in every game leading up to that final before being sold) and I felt for him when he missed out on an FA Cup winners medal with Portsmouth that year because he was cup tied with us. Hows your luck?

Whether or not Defoe is a club legend is a good question as it does depend on who you asks definition of what makes a footballer a club legend.

Defoe however, WAS the clubs top European goalscorer only until he was overtaken by what some would consider a Spurs legend in Harry Kane. This means Defoe had more European goals than Chivers, Gilzean, Greaves...

He is 6th in the clubs ALL time top goalscoring charts. There are 5 people in the history of this club who have scored more goals than him. Would you consider the 5 above him legends? Greaves? Kane? Smith? Chivers? Cliff Jones?

I was so pleased he was eventually rewarded with an 07/08 League Cup winners medal despite being at Portsmouth at the time (he played in every game leading up to that final before being sold) and I felt for him when he missed out on an FA Cup winners medal with Portsmouth that year because he was cup tied with us. Hows your luck?
Defoe is an interesting case. Personally I'm quite sceptical of the trend to regard good players as 'legends' but he's got a claim - on top of what others have said, Defoe shown nothing but respect for us and I think it's not a stretch to say we are definitely his favourite club.

With respect to Defoe I think he was a very good striker but not quite in the small handful of greatest strikers to ever play for us.

I think he's on the interstices of a great Spurs player/legend.

If we take Klinnsmann for example he played something like 60 games for us and had a great strike rate, a bit above 1 in 2. But I think a season and a half isn't quite enough to be a club legend. In contrast Modric was here for four seasons but we aren't really his club - he's a Real Madrid rather than Spurs legend, and i never really got the sense he was Spurs, just a great pro and amazing player.

I think of those two as different cases of amazing players who happened to play for us, rather than club legends. Both a little too nomadic in my book to be proper Spurs.

oh im calm, i just had a good laugh at you thinking a few moments over 3 years is good enough.
Happy for you petal

Bored Cabin Fever GIF by chuber channel

The word 'legend' gets thrown around all over the shop these days.

I don't personally put Dele in that category but some people have a far more generous interpretation of the term 'legend' than i do. Each to their own.
Agree with that but
on the other hand I wouldn’t call him a one season wonder either

I believe Harry Kane was once called that

ryan gosling friend GIF

Last edited:
Not quite for me. Great player and person though. I love what he did for Bradly too, albeit not at Spurs. He was here ages and scored tons. It's borderline for me - probably not quite a great enough player for me, though I really love Defoe. I mean if you look at his strike rate it's good rather than great.

Definitely not a legend.

He's 24 years old - no way can he be classed as a legend, and there's no way we ought to be looking to shift him. His ceiling is high, and we've no reason to cry poor. Up to him to knuckle down and get back to his best or waste his career.

I'd honestly rather pay him to be shite and run his contract down than sell him short and watch him flourish elsewhere and end up hitting the heights we know he's capable of at Chelsea or City or fucking Woolwich, FFS.

I'm such a melt. I follow Dele in instagram and saw this post the other day.

It gave me hope and was thinking that he will knuckle down and prove those who say he is lazy and happy to plod along collecting the cash wrong.

Nek minnit

Maybe not but worthy of a bit more respect than he is getting considering he has scored 50 goals for us and is not a striker. I hope he can find away back in the team.
So should all genuine fans as that would mean José is once again getting the best out of him

If he doesn’t and leaves then I would wish him all the best

I want Dele to want to get back into the team

He in no way shape or form merits a return to the team at the moment. Slows down our attacks, can’t retain possession, makes wrong decisions in the final third and doesn’t seem able to shoot anymore. Sad to see his decline but perhaps some of us just need to accept that old Dele is probably not coming back and move on. Might seem harsh but he hasn’t performed for a long time now and instead of looking backwards Spurs need to look to the future and thankfully Mourinho seems to realise this. Nobody can make Dele perform- he has to really want it himself

If you've been supporting Spurs long enough, you know Dele is a Spurs LEGEND.

If you grow up watching Iversen as your best Spurs player and getting excited at a 1 year stint from Klinsman to clinch midtable, you can understand how the person who got us an assist to send us to a Champions League final, scored 2 past Real Madrid etc.. deserves our time and patience.

It aint all about winning, I had more fun watching us fuck up a bunch of chelski bitches at the battle of the bridge then a flippin 2008 league cup.

GIVE THE BOY SOME BLOODY LOVE
I agree with most of this, but wouldn't put him in the legend bracket. Of the more recent players, only H and Ledley make the cut for me, maybe Daveed too. There's a difference between being a Legend and a cult hero.

He's no legend but he has the capability to be one. He is outrageously talented but just needs to add the workrate and a little more intelligence.

If you're classing players as legends because they're more talented than players we had in the 90s/00s then our whole squad would be legends. Dele has had moments of brilliance but for me from the current/recent squad I think Hugo, Jan and Erik are much better candidates so to speak. The first two stuck with us during rough times and Lamela, injuries aside, is a warrior who bleeds Spurs.

Back
Top Bottom