Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This guy has incredible presence on a football field.

Physically imposing and loaded with explosive pace and attacking aggression.

He's like a coiled spring.

You can just feel it.

Wanna see him in action.

Is it just us that seems to buy players and then not play them quickly? We always seem to wait a few months to get them settled in

Apart from Benta and Deki that seems the case. We just have to trust that Conte knows more than we do.

On the positive side it means that any player coming into the team will have to work their bollocks off to be considered. Every player that comes to us probably has had a massive pay increase so it could easily go to their head if they get a starting spot.

Spence will get his chance.

Is it just us that seems to buy players and then not play them quickly? We always seem to wait a few months to get them settled in

You're overthinking it... He himself has said some take longer than others to adapt.

He hasn't been shy of playing Richy from day one.
Lenglet got the nod pretty quickly.
Kulu & B'cur: Nuff said.
Bissouma seems to get the nod over Skipp even though he's been in the mix longer than Yves has.

Apart from Benta and Deki that seems the case. We just have to trust that Conte knows more than we do.

That really ought to not be as hard as it seems for some people.

You're overthinking it... He himself has said some take longer than others to adapt.

He hasn't been shy of playing Richy from day one.
Lenglet got the nod pretty quickly.
Kulu & B'cur: Nuff said.
Bissouma seems to get the nod over Skipp even though he's been in the mix longer than Yves has.

That really ought to not be as hard as it seems for some people.
Meant kind.of generally and less specifically.conte. poch seemed to do it a lot.

This guy has incredible presence on a football field.

Physically imposing and loaded with explosive pace and attacking aggression.

He's like a coiled spring.

You can just feel it.

Wanna see him in action.
Yes, he does. Hopefully Conte will give him some time in the cups to show his talent.

I don't see what the big deal is, when Conte thinks he's ready he'll play more.

If Emerson wasn't so shit, there wouldn't be anything like as much clamour to see Spence. He's going through a process a lot of players go through when moving up in levels. Nothing unusual going on here at all.

Agree , Contes done that his whole managerial career . He won’t play them until he’s absolutely sure they know what he demands will be executed . Spence will get his chance when he’s ready .
This is it in a nutshell. You'll play when I'm convinced you get what I want from you and not before. It's what Liverpool used to do, remember them signing Rush from Chester or someone and sticking him into the reserves for a season until he was ready to play their way.

Emerson may be pony going forward but Conte is a pragmatist and wants defensive solidity first (if he has to choose) and lots of hard work from his players.

When Spence does get the nod and hopefully plays well, some will say 'should've thrown him in earlier', but it's this stage now, behind the scenes, where's he's learning what's expected tactically and in terms or workrate and attitude that is getting him ready for that moment.

"I appreciate the warm welcome. Obviously my first game here so I really appreciate it and I just can't wait to get going."

"It was a good day for the team, a good day for myself, so very happy to get the three points."

"I guess it is just something new for me,"

"I have got to learn but I am working hard to improve, working hard to get in the team and hopefully I can get some run of games soon."

"Definitely my tactical side [has improved since arriving]. I am learning a lot from training and learning a lot from the guys, so I am learning a lot at the moment."

On that 'club signing' comment, Spence simply said: "I didn't really see it. I don't really pay attention. I just train, you know pay attention to my football and train hard"

"I am hopeful [of more game time], but I have just got to be patient and when my time comes I've just got to take it,"

"I've just got to take it as it comes. It can take time or be quick [to get your chance], so it is what it is."

"I always believe in myself but you never know what happens in football so you've just got to be patient and when the time comes, the time will come."

" I want to play not just in the cup, in the league as well so whether my first start comes in the league or the cup, I've just got to be ready,"

"Everyone has welcomed me [to the club]. There is not one specific player. All the team have welcomed me, all the staff, so it has been good. The fans have for sure and you've seen it today. I appreciate the love from everybody."

Spence has been working hard on his fitness to reach the demands Conte places on his players, in particular his wing-backs, and one man who played his part in his work off the pitch was Gian Piero Ventrone, the renowned fitness coach who passed away suddenly this month from leukaemia.

"He was a good guy, always pushing us to our limits,"

"Obviously I didn't know him as well as the other boys but what I knew from him was he was a very hard-working guy."

"He always made sure we did things right and would push ourselves to places we thought we couldn't go so yeah, he was a top guy. Yeah probably [they were probably the hardest sessions I've done], but it was good stuff."

Last edited:
Spence speaks
Surprised Cat GIF

I remember Liverpool doing similar when they signed Robertson:

He hardly played for the first few months of the season despite being man of the match on his debut.

I remember Liverpool doing similar when they signed Robertson:

He hardly played for the first few months of the season despite being man of the match on his debut.

And Cancelo.

"I appreciate the warm welcome. Obviously my first game here so I really appreciate it and I just can't wait to get going."

"It was a good day for the team, a good day for myself, so very happy to get the three points."

"I guess it is just something new for me,"

"I have got to learn but I am working hard to improve, working hard to get in the team and hopefully I can get some run of games soon."

"Definitely my tactical side [has improved since arriving]. I am learning a lot from training and learning a lot from the guys, so I am learning a lot at the moment."

On that 'club signing' comment, Spence simply said: "I didn't really see it. I don't really pay attention. I just train, you know pay attention to my football and train hard"

"I am hopeful [of more game time], but I have just got to be patient and when my time comes I've just got to take it,"

"I've just got to take it as it comes. It can take time or be quick [to get your chance], so it is what it is."

"I always believe in myself but you never know what happens in football so you've just got to be patient and when the time comes, the time will come."

" I want to play not just in the cup, in the league as well so whether my first start comes in the league or the cup, I've just got to be ready,"

"Everyone has welcomed me [to the club]. There is not one specific player. All the team have welcomed me, all the staff, so it has been good. The fans have for sure and you've seen it today. I appreciate the love from everybody."

Spence has been working hard on his fitness to reach the demands Conte places on his players, in particular his wing-backs, and one man who played his part in his work off the pitch was Gian Piero Ventrone, the renowned fitness coach who passed away suddenly this month from leukaemia.

"He was a good guy, always pushing us to our limits,"

"Obviously I didn't know him as well as the other boys but what I knew from him was he was a very hard-working guy."

"He always made sure we did things right and would push ourselves to places we thought we couldn't go so yeah, he was a top guy. Yeah probably [they were probably the hardest sessions I've done], but it was good stuff."

He sure seems to be saying all the right stuff.

Djed Spence on life at Tottenham and Antonio Conte ‘club signing’ remarks

Djed Spence believes his tactical knowledge has improved since joining Tottenham and insists he will be "ready" for when a chance presents itself.

The £12.5million signing has barely featured for Spurs following a summer move from Middlesbrough, with boss Antonio Conte referring to him as a "club signing" on several occasions, though the manager admitted on Friday that Spence was "starting to understand" the demands of being a Tottenham player.

Asked about Conte's remarks, Spence said: "I didn't really see it. I don't really pay attention. I just train, you know, pay attention to my football and train hard. Let the rest do the rest obviously."

Spence could make his full debut when Spurs take on his former club Nottingham Forest in the third round of the Carabao Cup next month.

READ MORE

Billionaire Tottenham owner Joe Lewis ceases to be ‘a person with significant control’ of the club

Antonio Conte provides Dejan Kulusevski injury update and hints at Tottenham tactical setup vs Man United

Tottenham XI vs Manchester United: Predicted lineup, confirmed team news and injury latest for Premier League

Manchester United vs Tottenham: Kick-off time, prediction, TV, live stream, team news, h2h results

"I mean I want to play not just in the cup, in the league as well so whether my first start comes in the league or the cup, I've just got to be ready," he said. "I always believe in myself but football, you never know what happens in football so you've just got to be patient and when the time comes, the time will come."

Asked what he has improved upon since the move, Spence said: "Definitely my tactical side. I am learning a lot from training and learning a lot from the guys, so I am learning a lot at the moment.

"I guess it is just something new that me, myself, I have got to learn but I am working hard to improve, working hard to get in the team and hopefully I can get some run of games soon. I have just got to be patient and when my time comes, I've just got to take it."

Former Fulham trainee Spence also paid tribute after Saturday's game to the late Gian Piero Ventrone, who died earlier in October after spending 11 months as Spurs' fitness coach.

"Yeah probably but it was good stuff," Spence replied when asked if Ventrone's sessions were the hardest he had faced. "He was a good guy, always pushing us to our limits. Obviously I didn't know him as well as the other boys but what I knew was he was a very hard-working guy.

"He always made sure we did things right and would push ourselves to places we thought we couldn't go so yeah, he was a top guy."

Back
Top Bottom