EFL Cup - Wolves vs Tottenham - Wed, Sep 22 19:45 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What we need to do is somehow learn how to keep pocessiom.wjen we want to ease of the gas and keep teams at arms length. We can’t play on the front foot for the whole 90 minutes. So we need to be able to switch gear but without giving the oppo any encouragement of being able to get back into the game. Best way is to keep the ball like in the old days and keep the crowd quiet. We saw what happened at CP and today when you let teams drive at you the crowd pick up and all of a sudden from being conforabtle we are hanging on. Learnt to play the ball around better and control the game.

It goes back to mentality doesn’t it? They just seem such a fragile group and don’t have a high level of confidence in their own or their team mates’ games to keep the ball. A different league but I was watching Lyon against PSG and their players were popping the ball about and keeping it so well against PSG. Sure they ultimately lost, but in the 20/30 minutes before then they had a technical level and confidence so much higher than ours. However there is no reason we shouldn’t be able to play like that.

Sure a lot is about ability but if you are playing for THFC and have aspirations to do well in competitions then you should have the mentality and confidence on top of that to keep the ball in games. For successive years we haven’t had that. Now is that down to the manager (40% perhaps) or the players (60%)? Or is it just about taking responsibility and we as a club don’t want to do that?

Winning that game on penalties should give us great confidence though, more than winning in 90 minutes.

Agree with you.
Romero looks very composed, sometimes overly so but looks the goods.
I thought Skipp's
Gil is a breath of fresh air. Lively on the ball, and very skilful.
Skipp & Gil are making a difference. I thought Skipp had a brilliant game - such energy for a 75-year-old.

Got home from Wolves about 1am and I fully endorse the comments of Mrs P and Hampshire Spur-it was a great night.A real entertaining,open,attacking cup tie with both teams showing great energy and desire.
Obviously the fact that we managed to win the shoot out has somewhat enhanced my experience!
Will definitely go to Burnley, that will be a late night for sure.Who needs the Champions League??!!! COYS!!

I have never understood why teams like Wolves (and probably Burnley) don’t play full strength teams in these games. They aren’t going to go down so why not go full strength and try and win a trophy for their fans.

The first half line up when Kane scored was against their B team. If they were trying to win the game, they'd have started Traore, Mouthino, Semedo and Coady. Clearly this wasn't an important game for them. Also, Jiminez never came on.

Coady came on after 9 mins FFS!

....Same lineup that loverboy faced btw. Didn't stop him being responsible for 2 goals did it?

Skipp & Gil are making a difference. I thought Skipp had a brilliant game - such energy for a 75-year-old.
Looks like he knows he belongs in the first team. That tackle on Neves in the lead up to our first goal ....tremendous stuff.
We need the likes of Skipp and Tanganga in the team. We need some fight.
Tanguy is brilliant and a nightmare . Who put him marking Dendoncker who is acknowledged as good in the air.

Gio cannot play defensively. So many moaned about Jose but we doing exactly the same thing a bit higher up the pitch.

Play Ndombele and Lo Celso higher up behind the Strikers. Ndombele focusing on starting the attack and Lo Celso feeding off him in order to make the "Killer pass". It's how they play for their country. They have proven it's their strength

Nuno doesn't know football. He decides a strategy before the game and doesn't adapt because he doesn't know how. Kane, Son....., whoever plays in front, has to come back because we have nothing linking in the middle. Kane won't score much this year because he doesn't get the supply.

Our biggest hurdle this season, is a 10th choice manager that is clueless. He only knows how to play with extremely fast plays that push and run. We know that's not our strength.

If neither of them can be trusted to do their bit tracking and defending then they can't both play at the same time; it's as simple as that. Even just one of them on the pitch can prove a liability if the oppo play well..... You can't afford luxury players in the EPL.

Jose is irrelevant to this.

You can't pin all that work on one MFer..... Perhaps you "don't know football" either.

Last edited:
I have never understood why teams like Wolves (and probably Burnley) don’t play full strength teams in these games. They aren’t going to go down so why not go full strength and try and win a trophy for their fans.
Hmmmm, exactly like us, we won't go down, won't get in top 4,so why didt we field strong teams in these minor cup tournaments?
Regardless of who ever we are playing in our next league match.

There were a lot of positives (and some warning signs) to take from last night. There's definitely a blue print there to base future games on.

I watched the highlights on the club's youtube this morning and according to the club's graphics we lined up in a 4-4-1-1. Was it just me who missed that?

Snachez looked distinctly uncomfortable on the left - or was I imagining it?
You're not alone in thinking that.

Sanchez and Romero is probably our most physical and aggressive CB pair, but they in a lot of ways play the same role and are more comfortable on the right. So playing them together means that one of them will have to play on their weaker side. Dier is more comfortable on the left but isn't as much of a rampaging roaming CB.

Hmmmm, exactly like us, we won't go down, won't get in top 4,so why didt we field strong teams in these minor cup tournaments?
Regardless of who ever we are playing in our next league match.

I suspect because because we still rightly see the league as the priority as a club while the manager knows he needs to win the cup games too to keep the fans off his back and keep himself in a job. Mind you, that didn’t save Mourinho! (Not advocating that we should have kept him there btw).

Back
Top Bottom