England vs Italy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

unknown.png

Maguire last chance

All that talent we've got; it takes a special manager to field a team that looks so uninspiring....

That MF is brutal.

All that talent we've got; it takes a special manager to field a team that looks so uninspiring....

That MF is brutal.
If this were a World Cup semifinal then I’d agree but it’s a meaningless game six months out. He needs to see players he hasn’t seen much of to decide if they should be in the squad. Good team for that.

That MF is brutal.

I like the team.

Aside from Harry Maguire. We experiment almost everywhere else but stick with him. If there's an undropped from the XI England CB it should be John Stones. By far our best central defender. Midfield is iffy but I think you're being harsh a bit .. Rice is a class act, JWP is steady and lethal on set pieces, we know Mount plays badly for England but I can sort of see why Southgate is desperate to get a tune from him.

If this were a World Cup semifinal then I’d agree but it’s a meaningless game six months out. He needs to see players he hasn’t seen much of to decide if they should be in the squad. Good team for that.

If he's gonna fuck around then why not do that in the 2 games vs Hungary instead of Germany & Italy?

Regardless; it's not about the individuals; it's about the blend..... And it's fair to say that he's seen enough of Mason Feckin' Mount by now!!!!

.......Why not Phillips / JWP / Grealish in a 3 and give Bowen another run up front?

Disagree. If getting a draw tonight shakes the players’ belief then they are nowhere near where they need to be to win a tournament.

Rotate your team and see some inexperienced players come in. That’s going to give you more useful information at this stage.

Edit: Tomori, James, Abraham and JWP good choices to play. Well done. Also good to give Mount another chance as he’s been poor for England. Goal is to make right selection decisions in 6 months.

Maybe, but there's no friendlies pre world cup. It would be very helpful to get a morale boosting win over the team who beat us in the Euros.

I like the XI tonight. It's obviously far from our strongest but gives a lot of players chances, Tomori especially needed to come in.

If he's gonna fuck around then why not do that in the 2 games vs Hungary instead of Germany & Italy?

Regardless; it's not about the individuals; it's about the blend..... And it's fair to say that he's seen enough of Mason Feckin' Mount by now!!!!

.......Why not Phillips / JWP / Grealish in a 3 and give Bowen another run up front?
I like your suggestion too. But the fact is it’s the end of a long season and Southgate has to manage fitness levels too which he has insight into that we don’t. For example this would be Bowen’s third game in a week which is a lot.

I like the team.

Aside from Harry Maguire. We experiment almost everywhere else but stick with him. If there's an undropped from the XI England CB it should be John Stones. By far our best central defender. Midfield is iffy but I think you're being harsh a bit .. Rice is a class act, JWP is steady and lethal on set pieces,

Got no problem with Rice, but Mount / Rice / JWP is fucking rank....

Plus it's Rice's 3rd start in a row.....

As above: Why not Phillips / JWP / Grealish?

we know Mount plays badly for England but I can sort of see why Southgate is desperate to get a tune from him.

You may be right, but there's absolutely no fucking way I'm condoning that line of thinking, fella.......

Not only does it ONCE AGAIN contradict his declared selection criteria and the notion that he needs to (in his words) "experiment"; but Gary thinks Mount plays well.... He was bigging him up again this week; accrediting him for us being able to play well against Germany. :pochshock:

Maybe, but there's no friendlies pre world cup. It would be very helpful to get a morale boosting win over the team who beat us in the Euros.

I like the XI tonight. It's obviously far from our strongest but gives a lot of players chances, Tomori especially needed to come in.
I think smart coaches will be using this to experiment and try combinations they haven’t seen yet or send messages to their players.

Spain and France have both rotated heavily and tried fringe players. It’s a smart approach.

Got mo problem with Rice, but Mount / Rice / JWP is fucking rank....

Plus it's Rice's 3rd start in a row.....

As above: Why not Phillips / JWP / Grealish?

You may be right, but there's absolutely no fucking way I'm condoning that line of thinking, fella.......

Not only does it ONCE AGAIN contradict his declared selection criteria and the notion that he needs to (in his words) "experiment"; but Gary thinks Mount plays well.... He was bigging him up again this week; accrediting him for us being able to play well against Germany. :pochshock:

Rank? Come on. It's one of the best defensive midfield players around alongside a functional CM and a player who underperforms for England but is clearly a very good footballer who is Chelsea's player of the year 2 years running. It makes total sense that Southgate is desperate to give him a chance to make his mark with the NT.

It's a very decent midfield, considering Henderson is AWOL & Phillips was forced off injured the other day.

I like your suggestion too. But the fact is it’s the end of a long season and Southgate has to manage fitness levels too which he has insight into that we don’t. For example this would be Bowen’s third game in a week which is a lot.

Bowen's played 100mins overall; 10 in the last game....

Meanwhile Rice is starting his 3rd game in a row. So is Mount.

I think smart coaches will be using this to experiment and try combinations they haven’t seen yet or send messages to their players.

Spain and France have both rotated heavily and tried fringe players. It’s a smart approach.

Yeah, that approach makes sense. I just find it odd how Maguire seems to be undroppable even when rotating, he's one of those we should be looking at phasing out. Southgate seems to have a few players he just refuses to ever shift out of the XI.

Spain made 8 changes between games recently.

France made 7 changes and changed formation

It’s a time to experiment and gain new information rather than put out your best team

Yeah, that approach makes sense. I just find it odd how Maguire seems to be undroppable even when rotating, he's one of those we should be looking at phasing out. Southgate seems to have a few players he just refuses to ever shift out of the XI.
I do agree with that. No idea why slabhead is undroppable. Team needs to be picked on merit and that is not happening. I can however see that your CBs need time playing together to form a gold partnership so there’ll be some reluctance to chop and change. Obviously feels he can trust him

I do agree with that. No idea why slabhead is undroppable. Team needs to be picked on merit and that is not happening. I can however see that your CBs need time playing together to form a gold partnership so there’ll be some reluctance to chop and change. Obviously feels he can trust him

Stones/Tomori would be really interesting to see tbh, but seems nailed on to be Stones/Maguire for the WC unless something drastic happens, or Stones/Maguire/Walker if we go a 5. I'm glad to see Ramsdale given a go as well.

Rank? Come on. It's one of the best defensive midfield players around alongside a functional CM and a player who underperforms for England but is clearly a very good footballer who is Chelsea's player of the year 2 years running. It makes total sense that Southgate is desperate to give him a chance to make his mark with the NT.

Sorry; the idea that Mount lacks "chances" in an England shirt is laughable.

I appreciate it if all you're trying to do is find a rationale, but it's a joke if true.

.......Why not put a fraction of the same energy into a number of other players?

Bellingham got his 'big chance' as a DM FFS!

It's a very decent midfield, considering Henderson is AWOL & Phillips was forced off injured the other day.

When you consider our options yes; "rank".

If it's about rotating and managing fitness whilst also experimenting, then Rice & Mount shouldn't be starting 3 games in a row.

For you to say this in parallel with your comments regarding Mount is mind-blowing!

.........At least McGuires has actually played well plenty of times for England.

Spain made 8 changes between games recently.

France made 7 changes and changed formation

It’s a time to experiment and gain new information rather than put out your best team
Certainly looks like teams are using it that way, but how is that different from friendlies? The point of this thing was supposed to be to try and win it.

Phillips injured isn't he?

Back
Top Bottom