England vs Italy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Stones/Tomori would be really interesting to see tbh, but seems nailed on to be Stones/Maguire for the WC unless something drastic happens, or Stones/Maguire/Walker if we go a 5. I'm glad to see Ramsdale given a go as well.
You seem to be the same as us - difficult to know whether we’re heading for a back 4 or a back 3. Personnel to play both. Maybe Southgate and Deschamps see that flexibility as a potential difference maker. Not many national teams mix up formation.

Certainly looks like teams are using it that way, but how is that different from friendlies? The point of this thing was supposed to be to try and win it.
Yeah I agree. I think the short gap between euros and World Cup has made this edition feel rushed. End of a long season - no one’s into it.

I think it was good first couple of editions.

For you to say this in parallel with your comments regarding Mount is mind-blowing!

.........At least McGuires has actually played well plenty of times for England.

Because Mount is proven to be absolutely quality at club level, whereas Maguire is a carthorse CB that played well in a couple of tournaments with two defensive midfielders ahead of him and in a back 5 with Kyle Walker covering.

I'm not saying it's what I'd do, but I understand it. Looking purely at club form, Mount is very arguably one of England's 3 best players. It makes sense that Southgate views getting something out of him as crucial to any success we could have.

Sorry; the idea that Mount lacks "chances" in an England shirt is laughable.

I appreciate it if all you're trying to do is find a rationale, but it's a joke if true.

.......Why not put a fraction of the same energy into a number of other players?

Bellingham got his 'big chance' as a DM FFS!

When you consider our options yes; "rank".

If it's about rotating and managing fitness whilst also experimenting, then Rice & Mount shouldn't be starting 3 games in a row.

I didn't say he lacked chances. He's had loads. I just think Southgate is really desperate to keep giving them to him because he wants to unlock Chelsea Mount. Which yes, may never happen, but if it did would be a gamechanger for England.

Agree to disagree. I think its, on paper, a strong midfield.

Because Mount is proven to be absolutely quality at club level, whereas Maguire is a carthorse CB that played well in a couple of tournaments with two defensive midfielders ahead of him and in a back 5 with Kyle Walker covering.

Regardless; HMcG deserves to retain his place more than Mount does...... Merit > What ifs.

The 2 DMs / 3 CB point is moot..... We're playing 2.5 DMs today.... And Gary played 3 AND 4 at the back in the Euros.

I'm not saying it's what I'd do, but I understand it. Looking purely at club form, Mount is very arguably one of England's 3 best players. It makes sense that Southgate views getting something out of him as crucial to any success we could have.

That's a VEEEEEEERY dudious claim.

That's a VEEEEEEERY dudious claim.

21 goals & assists in the Premier League from midfield. Chelsea's player of the year back to back ahead of Rudiger, Kante, Havertz, James, Mendy & several other top class players. Who else is performing like this? The man is productive & presses like a madman. He's a top player at club football level.

He plays for the Chavs & is shite for England, but Mason Mount is absolutely one of the top performing English players.

I didn't say he lacked chances. He's had loads. I just think Southgate is really desperate to keep giving them to him because he wants to unlock Chelsea Mount. Which yes, may never happen, but if it did would be a gamechanger for England.

Agree to disagree. I think its, on paper, a strong midfield.

Of course it's 'strong'...... Of course it has work-rate and stability, but once again the creative onus is dumped upon the front 3 whom it routinely appears get no coaching attention from GS and his staff.

.....I said a number of posts ago; Mount discussion aside, I have no problem with the individuals.

The blend (and the connotations elsewhere on the pitch AND in terms of selection philosophy) is "rank".

21 goals & assists in the Premier League from midfield. Chelsea's player of the year back to back ahead of Rudiger, Kante, Havertz, James, Mendy & several other top class players. Who else is performing like this? The man is productive & presses like a madman. He's a top player at club football level.

He plays for the Chavs & is shite for England, but Mason Mount is absolutely one of the top performing English players.

On club form; we've got a wealth of top players.....

One of them doesn't deliver in an England shirt though.... Sadly he's afforded un-droppable status despite this.

Of course it's 'strong'...... Of course it has work-rate and stability, but once again the creative onus is dumped upon the front 3 whom it routinely appears get no coaching attention from GS and his staff.

.....I said a number of posts ago; Mount discussion aside, I have no problem with the individuals.

The blend (and the connotations elsewhere on the pitch AND in terms of selection philosophy) is "rank".

A 10, defensive mid, and a player who covers plenty of ground and tries to link play a bit. Balance seems okay to me on paper. Of course we could do with a proper playmaker in there but erm .. who? England lack that type of footballer.

Maybe, but there's no friendlies pre world cup. It would be very helpful to get a morale boosting win over the team who beat us in the Euros.

I like the XI tonight. It's obviously far from our strongest but gives a lot of players chances, Tomori especially needed to come in.
Totally...... They had the chance to prove that they could and should have won the Euros....... Lose tonight and its just Confirmation of the Italian victory in the final.

Sometimes I think Gareth only starts Grealish in makeshift teams, so that when the inevitable happens and its a bad performance, he can turn round and say he was right to not start Grealish....

A 10, defensive mid, and a player who covers plenty of ground and tries to link play a bit. Balance seems okay to me on paper. Of course we could do with a proper playmaker in there but erm .. who? England lack that type of footballer.

So you think we're gonna play 4231 then?

Why is Michael Owen one of the TV experts? Literally knows nothing about football and has less than zero interest.

Go home you fat little Welsh dwarf, your filthy daughter is getting fingered on live TV shortly. Horse botherer

So you think we're gonna play 4231 then?

Probably not, tbf. But even in a 4-3-3, those two with Mount given the most license to get forward would make sense .. on paper.

It's just Mount is a nothing player for England. Which just brings us back to the original discussion,

Back
Top Bottom