Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I like him, for me he is a quintessential Levy buy, somewhat local but with a hint of foreign fun, in the tradition of Gylfi and Holtby. He also inspired relief among many upon the return of Naughton, which for me will always make him a cult figure, although not on the level of Naughton. All things considered a bright future

Looks like the Telegraph are giving the full story, however looking at some of the rags they are painting a completely different picture of this.
More Spurs bashing from the press coming our way.

Wankers

:vdvshh:

Dier is quick and isn't Chiriches which makes him an asset like no other CB we have. He may actually be able to make Fazio & Kaboul look capable and up to speed and he may just bring out the inner-leader in JV that we all hope he has in him. A JV-Dier partnership makes most sense but........ El Capitano
:kaboul:

Like you hear with Kane's dedication to the game it is clear that Dier has that clear love of the sport and is desperate to grow and improve. At only 20, it's really great to hear a player thinking in those terms. I love the the mentality, desire to improve, and effort we've seen from our young players like Dier, Kane, Mason, Bentaleb, Lamela, Walker, Rose etc. They just aren't quite mature enough or fully formed as players to be the difference makers we need. It's the older players that I worry about...

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/eric-dier-england-131114/
ERIC - I WANT TO BE BETTER PLAYER FOR CLUB AND COUNTRY

Posted on 13 November 2014 - 13:30

Eric Dier is delighted that the decision to spend two weeks at Hotspur Way working on his game during the international break has the full backing and support of England Under-21 Head Coach Gareth Southgate.

Eric has been a regular member of the England Under-21 squad this season and as our players headed off to join up with their respective countries this week, Eric has been given permission to remain at our Enfield training base as he continues his settling in process following his summer move from Portuguese side Sporting Lisbon.

"I spoke to Gareth Southgate and we were in complete agreement that it was the right thing to do," said Eric.

"We had an open conversation and I think he was happy that I could be so honest with him. If he wasn't completely fine with this then I would never have asked because I would never want to put him in a difficult position.

"He has been fantastic with the whole situation and is really easy to talk to. I certainly would never want to give him or anyone else the wrong impression.

"It not a case that I don't want to play for England, that couldn't be further from the truth.

"It has been a hectic start to the season for me and I have been delighted with the number of games I've played so far.

"Obviously, I have just moved clubs and even though I represent England I have not lived here since I was really young so I am still adapting to my new environment.

"I just felt that this two-week period gives me the opportunity to work on parts of my game that I have had problems with over the past two months, personal elements I need to work on both physically and on the football pitch that I think will make me a better player for both club and country in the long-term.

"It is far from a rest. This is a period where I can spend time at my new club and put a lot of work in to improve because during the season these opportunities do not come around too often for Spurs or England because of the number of games we have to prepare for."

When asked about suggestions that he is not happy playing at right-back, Eric was unwavering in his response: "I will never complain to a manager about what position I play as long as I am playing - I'd even play centre-forward if I was asked to."

ChuckleShuffle ChuckleShuffle

Would we? I honestly don't think I would, it would perhaps be a different story for a senior player but for someone who is twenty years old I think it's a refreshing attitude to take.

This stuff happens all the time. How often does a player have a "small injury" right before the international break despite playing in their clubs most recent game. Instead of pulling that shit, Dier seems to have had a productive and mature conversation with Southall and they came to agreement that Dier could develop better through training at the moment. Hardly a crazy concept since he's 20.

People are really out for blood at the moment. Hard to see how something he cleared with the potentially aggrieved manager with the goal of improving as a footballer is bad thing regardless of what your point of view is. Dier could avoided any criticism by feigning injury, but instead he took responsibility for his choice and I fucking respect him for it.

I dont see the problem here. he has spoken to manager and they have both agreed that he miss this to work on his game. He has not pulled an injury and sounds like his head is screwed on to me. Whats the point if you dont feel you are ready to represent your country to go out there and make a shambles of your self?

So if Chambers or Shelvey cam out with that exact same comment do you think you'd react the same?

Well I certainly wouldn't be as positive about it (couldn't give a fuck about other clubs players) but I wouldn't be negative, a young player recognising their faults and looking to improve their game should always be met positively.

This stuff happens all the time. How often does a player have a "small injury" right before the international break despite playing in their clubs most recent game. Instead of pulling that shit, Dier seems to have had a productive and mature conversation with Southall and they came to agreement that Dier could develop better through training at the moment. Hardly a crazy concept since he's 20.

People are really out for blood at the moment. Hard to see how something he cleared with the potentially aggrieved manager with the goal of improving as a footballer is bad thing regardless of what your point of view is. Dier could avoided any criticism by feigning injury, but instead he took responsibility for his choice and I fucking respect him for it.
Do you agree with Sterling being too tired then? He had a productive and mature conversation with Hodgson and they came to an agreement but he got rinsed for it?

The problem I've got with what Dier has done is that I think there are millions of people that would give everything up for a change to play in the England shirt be it for the senior squad or U21's. He could have had the same conversation but said that he want's to train and play CB for the U21's, and if Southgate wouldn't have started him over other CB's then so be it but he shouldn't have ever turned down that opportunity.

I really like him as a player and I think he is a great acquisition for us but I don't agree with this at all.

I think pulling out of the squad at senior level is something I do not agree with, a player should aspire to gain as many caps as possible for their nation. However at u21 level the emphasis is more on player development than appearances, so think of it more as Dier wanting to be the best possible CB he can be for the senior national side as opposed to an adequate RB for the youth side.

Back
Top Bottom