Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you agree with Sterling being too tired then? He had a productive and mature conversation with Hodgson and they came to an agreement but he got rinsed for it?

The problem I've got with what Dier has done is that I think there are millions of people that would give everything up for a change to play in the England shirt be it for the senior squad or U21's. He could have had the same conversation but said that he want's to train and play CB for the U21's, and if Southgate wouldn't have started him over other CB's then so be it but he shouldn't have ever turned down that opportunity.

I really like him as a player and I think he is a great acquisition for us but I don't agree with this at all.

The Sterling thing isn't about Sterling being tired. It's about Liverpool having a rough start to the season and the Hodgson/Rodgers rift. Then Rodgers starts pressuring him not to play and you have a situation where two grown men who should know better have put a 19 year old in a situation he can't win. It's not about patriotism, it's politics.

Dier decided this was the best way to help club and country in the long haul, Southall agreed. It's a complete non-story.

The Sterling thing isn't about Sterling being tired. It's about Liverpool having a rough start to the season and the Hodgson/Rodgers rift. Then Rodgers starts pressuring him not to play and you have a situation where two grown men who should know better have put a 19 year old in a situation he can't win. It's not about patriotism, it's politics.

Dier decided this was the best way to help club and country in the long haul, Southall agreed. It's a complete non-story.
Roy Hodgson said: ‘If a player came up to me one day before the game, when I was intending to play him, just before the session started, and said to me: “I don’t think I can train today because I’m feeling too tired”, then I would definitely leave him out.’

This is what I was saying earlier, if he wasn't a Yid people wouldn't agree at all! I am all for backing our players in a situation like this but we shouldn't give stick to other players like Sterling got. If you consider Dier's decision mature and responsible then surely you have to feel the same about Sterling? (He's even younger than Dier.)

Can't see the problem here. I actually like the fact that rather than play in a friendly for a manager that knows what he's all about, he wants to stay, train hard and develop, and push for a first team spot in his preferred position. As said above, it's a non-story.

Dier has featured consistently for the England national youth teams, this isn't a question of commitment or laziness. Both he and the manager (Southgate) felt it would be best for Eric to stay training at Enfield rather than play in a meaningless friendly.

Can't really see your issue with this, or why you're relating it to Sterling.

Dier has featured consistently for the England national youth teams, this isn't a question of commitment or laziness. Both he and the manager (Southgate) felt it would be best for Eric to stay training at Enfield rather than play in a meaningless friendly.

I'm relating the two issues because they are very much the same but everyone slated Stirling and everyone is so impressed with Dier.

Just to clarify I disagree with both

The Sterling debacle was also a lot more sinister. You could see Rodgers' fingerprints all over it to keep him more fresh for their next fixture, not to mention there's a lot more prestige you're missing out on if you refuse England senior squad duty (yeah, we're shit, but still...) than passing on playing for the U-21s.

I'm relating the two issues because they are very much the same but everyone slated Stirling and everyone is so impressed with Dier.

Just to clarify I disagree with both

They're not the same though. Sterling was withdrawn supposedly due to fatigue, but this was something Rodgers had been banging on about rather than Sterling, and it was well documented that Rodgers/Hodgson have some beef about player selections and the injuries that can come with it.

Dier himself came to the conclusion that he felt he would be best off not playing in this particular friendly as he wanted to develop as a player with first team training. However he didn't withdraw himself, he spoke to the manager and they both agreed it was the smart move for him.

They're not the same though. Sterling was withdrawn supposedly due to fatigue, but this was something Rodgers had been banging on about rather than Sterling, and it was well documented that Rodgers/Hodgson have some beef about player selections and the injuries that can come with it.

Dier himself came to the conclusion that he felt he would be best off not playing in this particular friendly as he wanted to develop as a player with first team training. However he didn't withdraw himself, he spoke to the manager and they both agreed it was the smart move for him.
:kaboullol:
Sterling came to the conclusion himself and approached Roy over the decision. He done exactly what Dier done, both spoke to the manager about the situations AND all parties thought it was of best interest for the players! I am shocked at how you're failing to comprehend that? Maybe you just have a heavily biased opinion as Dier is one of us, I don't know.

He's our 2nd best CB imo, and I've never even seen him play there. lol.

Yeah but 2nd best CB at Spurs is an easy one....christ, if I went to Spurs tomorrow I'd be the 3rd best CB!

I personally have no problem with Dier not playing...but then I had no problem with Sterling not playing. If you don't want to play, don't play. Preferably tell the truth as to why you don't want to but ultimately it's the players decision.

Roy Hodgson said: ‘If a player came up to me one day before the game, when I was intending to play him, just before the session started, and said to me: “I don’t think I can train today because I’m feeling too tired”, then I would definitely leave him out.’

This is what I was saying earlier, if he wasn't a Yid people wouldn't agree at all! I am all for backing our players in a situation like this but we shouldn't give stick to other players like Sterling got. If you consider Dier's decision mature and responsible then surely you have to feel the same about Sterling? (He's even younger than Dier.)

I said I didn't think Sterling was to blame and that it was Rodgers and Hodgson acting like children. So yes I do feel the same about Dier and Sterling as I already said.

I'm really chuffed that Eric has come out and said that he wants to work hard and get into the CB picture at Spurs. Lord knows we could use a consistent performer in the middle and Eric really does have bags of potential for such an accomplished young lad.

The media are milking this Dier 'snub' for all it's worth. He's been honest and told the truth. Fergie used to get his players to create phantom injuries to cry off international duty and then you would see them playing 3 days later for Utd. Maybe next time our lads should just do the same, because you don't get any rest from the media whores.

Eric Dier: Tottenham defender opted out of England Under-21s
Tottenham's Eric Dier asked not to play for England Under-21s so he can focus on winning a centre-half place with his club, Gareth Southgate has revealed.

Dier, 20, played right-back as England qualified for next summer's European Under-21 Championship last month.

But he has since told Under-21 manager Southgate that he wants to train with Spurs rather than appear in upcoming friendlies with Portugal and France.

"Eric has my blessing. I am totally comfortable with this," said Southgate.

Dier "feels there are parts of his game that he wants to work at", Southgate added, with the player keen to develop his abilities in a more central role.

"Long term we both agree that he is unlikely to be a full-back and is going to be a centre-half," he said.

Eric Dier's career
Dier played 28 league games for Sporting Lisbon, as well as featuring in the second tier for their B team - and the Premier Reserve League for Everton. He has played for England at Under-19, 20 and 21 level but would still be eligible for Portugal on residency grounds.

Dier has been deployed at right-back in all but two of his 13 appearances for Mauricio Pochettino's Spurs since he joined the club from Sporting Lisbon in a £4m deal over the summer.

But the return to fitness of regular Spurs right-back Kyle Walkerafter eight months out injured could herald a change in Dier's role in Pochettino's back line.

"He wants to start establishing himself as a centre-back at Tottenham in the medium term and there will be a benefit to that working on it in these periods. It was quite refreshing," Southgate added.

"It's unusual because you don't get many players coming to you who say: 'I think I know what I need to work at.' He's very focused on what he feels like he wants to do."

Southgate's Young Lions face Euro 2015 group-stage rivals Portugal at Turf Moor on Thursday night before meeting France in Brest on Monday.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30033287

Wow, commitment! This is great to see, I hope he's at least given a chance in a cup game soon. Actually, from the article... "Dier has been deployed at right-back in all but two of his 13 appearances for Mauricio Pochettino's Spurs" so he has played at CB already? I must have missed those games...

Back
Top Bottom