Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

:kaboullol:
Sterling came to the conclusion himself and approached Roy over the decision. He done exactly what Dier done, both spoke to the manager about the situations AND all parties thought it was of best interest for the players! I am shocked at how you're failing to comprehend that? Maybe you just have a heavily biased opinion as Dier is one of us, I don't know.

Yeah same situation. No problem with Sterling asking to be rested. He knows his own body better than anyone. As I said before, at least he didn't claim to be "injured".

don't think he's earned the right to turn down the national team yet, even if it is only u 21s

Agree - if the national coaches think he's good enough at RB, he should play there

There's been a great campaign, mostly by Pearce, to give the U21s more importance and this undermines it

Southgate is soft, no wonder he's praising the decision, probably did Dier's laundry too

Dier be chilling and laughing at the nation whilst the U21s slaving away like

TbI12MY.gif

ok.. i just watched the highlights.. everything happened on his side
and when Bolasie did his magic trick it was against Eriksen and Soldado, and not him..

was he so bad that the playmaker and the striker had to fill in for him.. or i'm i missing something here

ok.. i just watched the highlights.. everything happened on his side
and when Bolasie did his magic trick it was against Eriksen and Soldado, and not him..

was he so bad that the playmaker and the striker had to fill in for him.. or i'm i missing something here
He was targeted. Clearly not a FB, doesn't have the agility. We could risk ruining his confidence if we leave him exposed there must longer.
Hopefully Walker and/or Yedlin will leave RB covered.

He was targeted. Clearly not a FB, doesn't have the agility. We could risk ruining his confidence if we leave him exposed there must longer.
Hopefully Walker and/or Yedlin will leave RB covered.
A lot of people are going on about how we are going to ruin his confidence but to be honest it looks to me like he is relishing the opportunity to be in the first team regardless to where he is playing. I don't think that he is really being given any stick because everyone realises that he is not only being played out of position but he is also very young. I really rate the young lad and it seems like he could very easily become a fan favourite.

I don't think he confidence will take a beating.

A lot of people are going on about how we are going to ruin his confidence but to be honest it looks to me like he is relishing the opportunity to be in the first team regardless to where he is playing. I don't think that he is really being given any stick because everyone realises that he is not only being played out of position but he is also very young. I really rate the young lad and it seems like he could very easily become a fan favourite.

I don't think he confidence will take a beating.
Well yeah he'd rather play RB than not play at all. You're also right that he's not being given much stick. But for him personally, there is a risk that he if he keeps getting turned inside out by pacey wingers he will eventually doubt his defensive instincts and begin to second guess himself. Depends on his character of course, but a few more performances where he is exposed and many of our fans will scapegoat the hell out of him (as we all know, Spurs fans are no stranger to scapegoating). From there it can be difficult to recover for a young player.

I can't help but feel if he hadn't scored those two goals earlier in the season that he'd have been targeted much more aggressively by our fans.

I feel the lad is out of his depth, and I'm sorry to say that 20 is not young in football any more, I don't buy that as an excuse.

He is being played out of position, I understand that. But he is being targeted by opposition managers and I can see why. His general defensive awareness seems to be poor. There was a chance in the Palace game where Verts went after the ball out wide and the winger was played in. Dier had dropped back into the centre, leaving the winger to enter the box unchallenged, until eventually he closed him down.

You could see when the ball was played past Verts he was surprised when he looked behind that Dier wasn't there, and he had to chase himself.

I'm all for covering, but the ball is the danger, not the bloke in the middle. That's basic defending.

As was the Ameobi goal, which I never want to see again.

Only 11 games in, and most of those at RB, so I'm not drawing conclusions, but he hasn't yet shown (in my opinion) that he has the ability to grow into a player worthy of starting in our back 4.

I can't help but feel if he hadn't scored those two goals earlier in the season that he'd have been targeted much more aggressively by our fans.

I feel the lad is out of his depth, and I'm sorry to say that 20 is not young in football any more, I don't buy that as an excuse.

He is being played out of position, I understand that. But he is being targeted by opposition managers and I can see why. His general defensive awareness seems to be poor. There was a chance in the Palace game where Verts went after the ball out wide and the winger was played in. Dier had dropped back into the centre, leaving the winger to enter the box unchallenged, until eventually he closed him down.

You could see when the ball was played past Verts he was surprised when he looked behind that Dier wasn't there, and he had to chase himself.

I'm all for covering, but the ball is the danger, not the bloke in the middle. That's basic defending.

As was the Ameobi goal, which I never want to see again.

Only 11 games in, and most of those at RB, so I'm not drawing conclusions, but he hasn't yet shown (in my opinion) that he has the ability to grow into a player worthy of starting in our back 4.
All of the best CB's in the world are older, its a position that comes with experience. There are very rare occasions that a youngster will be a great CB, the glory years come later in the career.

I think its a shame to see such a young home-grown talent looked down upon by his own fans. I'd love for us to sign Stones from Everton, not because he is a fantastic CB yet but the potential is there!

People look to the England squad and the only options we've got between the older players, Cahill (28) & Jags (32), are Jones (22) and Smalling (25) and personally I feel that Dier and Stones could do just as good of a job at CB as them if given the chance.

We should all be behind Eric 100% and make the bloke a Tottenham and England legend.

Edit: I apologise for going a little off topic but it is all relevant :dier:

Where is he at? Talks of him going out on loan... Hope not wouldn't mind him getting some games at CB in the FA Cup and maybe even a few league games alongside 1 of our current starting CBs
He's currently sat behind a burgeoning central defensive partnership of Vertonghen and Fazio. He's nowhere near their quality, and shouldn't be in the starting lineup for as long as those two are fit.

He's currently sat behind a burgeoning central defensive partnership of Vertonghen and Fazio. He's nowhere near their quality, and shouldn't be in the starting lineup for as long as those two are fit.
But considering all we have as backup to them is Kaboul & Chiriches surely loaning him out wouldn't be ideal. Would much rather seeing him in if they need a rest or are injured

He was never meant to be a starter, he was fortunate (I guess) that both right backs were injured when he joined and got instant game time, scoring some important goals for us. However I'm sure both he and the club were of the understanding he was signed to be a future player for us, perhaps a cup/group stage player at first and then developing into the first team when he was older/players sold.

Back
Top Bottom