Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But considering all we have as backup to them is Kaboul & Chiriches surely loaning him out wouldn't be ideal. Would much rather seeing him in if they need a rest or are injured
Agree. He's behind Chiriches for me. Kaboul is 5th choice in my eyes (I'd say he's better than Dier but we have nothing to gain by continuing with Kab now, his legs have gone and he's accident prone - Dier has potential to grow with experience).

I wouldn't loan him out. Kaboul good to have around the team I suppose but wouldn't be upset to release the bloke to be honest.

I think Dier was one of those Khumalo buys. You know, looks like he could be a great prospect, buy him low with the possibility of selling high at a later date when he becomes the next big CB.
Let's hope he doesn't go the same way. I mean Khumalo captains his country and has played more games for them than he has for Spurs or any of the other clubs we have loaned him out to. He is now 27 and playing in our U21 team?
I think Dier has great potential as a CB. I don't think Woolwich or Man U would have tried to sign him, along with us, 4 years ago if he was no good. He chose to stay in Portugal and sign for Sporting.
He has played nearly as many games at RB as he did in both his seasons at CB for Sporting. Remember he never played more than 15 games a season as CB in his 2 for the first team in Portugal (14 &12) but has played 11 games for us a RB.
He has played against some great players in Portugal and did well ( Matic, Fernando, Garay, Rodriguez etc) He's comfortable with the ball, passing and keeping possession
He needs a rest, to train, assimilate himself with the club, team and surroundings and then when the time comes step into deputise at CB. I am sure he will become a good CB for us.
You also have to remember that maybe Vertonghen is not going to be around much longer and there's a great possibility that Lloris will be gone in the summer.

Luke McGee will soon be no 2 keeper and when Vertonghen goes a left footed CB will need to be found -as we know MP prefers a right foot/left foot balance in central defence - unless we have faith in a Chirches/Fazio CB pairing.
Dier will either step up to partner Fazio or be our back up right footed CB.

I think Dier was one of those Khumalo buys. You know, looks like he could be a great prospect
Khumalo was never a great prospect, we signed him at 24 and he'd only ever played in South Africa at that point. He was a commercial buy to increase interest in Spurs in the country. As sad as it sounds this sort of practice seems more legit than us actually thinking he was ever going to make it in the Premier League. Never did much on loans in the Championship.

Apparently Dier is the fastest player in our squad this season so far.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Sissoko-Premier-League-s-fastest-player.html

Do you think they constantly track everyone's speed during every game? Surely we have a player who is faster than him (definitely now with Yedlin I suppose).
These figures are pointless as they bare no relation to the distance of that recorded speed. Was the speed recorded over 10 meters or 70m? Also you would hope that all of your players are running almost all of the time, closing players down and finding pace e.g. Kane, Eriksen, Bentaleb and Mason who are clocking 12-13km every game, putting that amount of effort in will effect the ability to sprint "the fastest". Point here is would you have someone who is grafting for 95mins or puts in x2 30m sprints.

These figures are pointless as they bare no relation to the distance of that recorded speed. Was the speed recorded over 10 meters or 70m? Also you would hope that all of your players are running almost all of the time, closing players down and finding pace e.g. Kane, Eriksen, Bentaleb and Mason who are clocking 12-13km every game, putting that amount of effort in will effect the ability to sprint "the fastest". Point here is would you have someone who is grafting for 95mins or puts in x2 30m sprints.

Agreed. I was still massively surprised to see Dier up there though, looks slow to me.

I imagine we see Dier in at CB within the next few weeks. With such a congested schedule, we can't keep playing Fazio and Verts in every single one of them.

It was refreshing to see him start as a CB for once, today. He wasn't perfect, but he was solid today. And he'll only get better. .... Fazio and Verts have a good thing going on, so I wouldn't necessarily want to disrupt that, but Dier surely has to be ahead of both Kaboom and Vlad.

Thought he was very good today, good in the air, in the tackle and is mobile unlike a lot of our centre backs, one or two mishaps but overall 7-8 out of 10 performance.

I thought it was pretty weird Kaboul started over him on Wednesday but it makes sense now. Fazio is the more consistent player but I think Dier's best performance is better than Fazio's best. Dier is going to be some player for us in years to come.

Also Happy Birthday to the lad. Turned 21 on Thursday.

He looked alright today. Some pretty loose marking at times though and we're lucky not to have been punished (fletcher was a massive let off) First time he's played CB for months though so fairplay.

Thought he played well considering he hasn't played alongside Verts at CH before. There's a big difference between playing RB and pairing up with another CH. Eric done good imo.

This was maybe his best game since August for us. He looks a different player at CB and should be played there, not at RB, even for emergencies I'm not sure I like it.

didn't see the game but glad he got a chance and going by the comments here, he took it well. let's be honest Fazio isn't a long term solution, not even a short term solution in my eyes but that's another story. hope he gets more game time this season

If Sunderland had scored on their two huge chances near the end of the game, people would think Dier was bad. He made Kaboul'ish errors, with sloppy marking and concentration near the end of the game. But it was his first game as CB in a while, he played 90 mins, so I'll give him some slack. Needs to learn and rid himself of errors like that though. If he does he can become world class.

If Sunderland had scored on their two huge chances near the end of the game, people would think Dier was bad. He made Kaboul'ish errors, with sloppy marking and concentration near the end of the game. But it was his first game as CB in a while, he played 90 mins, so I'll give him some slack. Needs to learn and rid himself of errors like that though. If he does he can become world class.

Completely agree, i don't understand how people can put him ahead of Fazio at the moment. It will take time for him to become a gun.

Back
Top Bottom