Eric Ten Hag - What's Your View ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes, people simply ignore his success with Bayern II and Utrecht. The way he plays football, the way he uses established players while also incorporating youth, the way his teams always go all out for him.

This was the guy. This guy screamed Tottenham. And it's gone now. There's no chance anymore, we need to move on to someone else.
Bayern II finished 2nd the season before he got the job. They won the league his first season, finished 2nd in his last. They then finished 6th, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 1st. Hard to ascribe all of that to him.

Utrecht struggled immediately before him, and he got the 5th one season and 4th the other. Since they've finished either 5th or 6th.

Not to dismiss the guy, but the way you phrase it is as though he worked miracles. He was approximately "above average" in his stops prior to Ajax.

Ajax managers have a terrible history beyond Ajax. That is simply a matter of historical record. So, no, I'm not going to crown the guy as the savior we missed out on. He's probably 16-28 months away from flaming out at some higher profile gig, according to the odds.

Bayern II finished 2nd the season before he got the job. They won the league his first season, finished 2nd in his last. They then finished 6th, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 1st. Hard to ascribe all of that to him.

Utrecht struggled immediately before him, and he got the 5th one season and 4th the other. Since they've finished either 5th or 6th.
Going by this, Poch should have been a failure at Tottenham because he almost relegated Espanyol then he finished 8th or so with Southampton which has been bettered by Koeman.

I don’t think you’re going to find many managers who performed ‘miracles’, this ain’t Football Manager where you take a League Two team and win the Champions League with it. Even Klopp relegated with Mainz.

The point is that ten Hag fits exactly the type of a manager we are/were looking for and the main fear with him, that he can’t handle work outside Ajax, has been put to bed by his previous jobs..... at least partially.

You mean like Frank de Boer?

Ajax is an easy job to look good in. The definition of a football factory in a league that you generally boss.

I'd have taken him, but been skeptical of it. Doesn't surprise me that other clubs with means swerve him. Is Jol their most successful managerial alum of the past 20 years, or is it Koeman? If you go all the way back to Cruyff, LvG is arguably the only manager they've employed that succeeded at a high level outside of Ajax.

Buy their players, not their managers.
Here is the truth of it. They are a system club. I would seriously caution mixing up such an ingrained philosophy with the ability of the coach.

I'm going to keep pimping this till someone at Spurs listens. We have bottomed out getting sniffed at by Graham fuckingPotter. If we have go back to go forward with a young progressive attacking coach, there's one who is more tactically adept than Poch. Marcelo Gallardo ( taking English lessons considering a new challenge ) is the risk we should take.

Going by this, Poch should have been a failure at Tottenham because he almost relegated Espanyol then he finished 8th or so with Southampton which has been bettered by Koeman.

I don’t think you’re going to find many managers who performed ‘miracles’, this ain’t Football Manager where you take a League Two team and win the Champions League with it. Even Klopp relegated with Mainz.

The point is that ten Hag fits exactly the type of a manager we are/were looking for and the main fear with him, that he can’t handle work outside Ajax, has been put to bed by his previous jobs..... at least partially.
I'm not burying the guy. I said I'd have taken him, though cautiously. I'm highly skeptical, and if I had to bet I would wager that this Ajax period will be the pinnacle of his career.

TBF, thats not groundbreaking, I'd be playing with house money. The vast majority of successful managers anywhere are at the pinnacle of their careers. Its the exception to the rule for managers to have substantial success in multiple stops.

I think the Ajax concern is a little bit skewed by De Boer who had zero experience anywhere else so is not really that comparable to Ten Hag.

Outside of that you are looking at over 10 years ago and some managers that did have success outside of Ajax. It is fair to be skeptical of how much success at Ajax is the manager and how much the club but Ten Hag has had a few things, in my view- the CL run, success outside of Ajax- that give me more faith that he is a good manager and is at a very good club for its level as well.

You mean like Frank de Boer?

Ajax is an easy job to look good in. The definition of a football factory in a league that you generally boss.

I'd have taken him, but been skeptical of it. Doesn't surprise me that other clubs with means swerve him. Is Jol their most successful managerial alum of the past 20 years, or is it Koeman? If you go all the way back to Cruyff, LvG is arguably the only manager they've employed that succeeded at a high level outside of Ajax.

Buy their players, not their managers.
No not like FDB, as he never got Ajax past the groups stage, in fact he never won more than 2 CL games in a single season.

There must be something off with this bloke because he's never linked to big clubs and we supposedly weren't impressed with him when we spoke to him.

Probably best to be wary of a manager who missed out on a CL final because he forgot to tell his team to take the ball towards the corner flag.
Bayern wanted him but he wanted to wait until the end of the season, so they gave Flick the interim job and he pretty much won every game, so got the Bayern job instead. He was also their 2nd choice behind Naglesmann this season.

Not to dismiss the guy, but the way you phrase it is as though he worked miracles. He was approximately "above average" in his stops prior to Ajax.

Ajax managers have a terrible history beyond Ajax. That is simply a matter of historical record. So, no, I'm not going to crown the guy as the savior we missed out on. He's probably 16-28 months away from flaming out at some higher profile gig, according to the odds.
At Bayern II, he had them scoring the most goals they have ever scored in the league.

At Utrecht, he was also DOF as well as manager, so he actually set the foundations for them to be able to succeed after him.

Also, his Ajax team equaled a goal scoring record (fewest number of games to reach 82 goals if I recall), that was set by the Cryffs great Ajax side in the 80s, a feat even Louis van Gaals Ajax didn't manage.

His Ajax team also scored the 2nd most goals in Eredivisie history scoring just 3 less than the record Ajax set in the 66/67 season.

Other than Frank De Boer, what other successful Ajax manager has had a terrible history outside of Ajax?

Last edited:
Here is the truth of it. They are a system club. I would seriously caution mixing up such an ingrained philosophy with the ability of the coach.
Actually, he changed the philosophy. Ajax were a 4-3-3 side who had a lots of sideways passing and relied on quality creative players (like Eriksen) to open teams up. AVB would have been at home there.

Ten Hag changed them to a quicker playing 4-2-3-1 with lots of movement.

They already interviewed and passed on him, why would he want to accept a job they already refused him for? Especially when he watches on tv every weekend and sees 8 players starting who are simply not good enough or don’t care , without adequate replacements. Hmm stay and dominate the Dutch league and wait for a better club or accept the challenge of taking the same bunch of players that four other managers have failed with and make them successful ????

They already interviewed and passed on him, why would he want to accept a job they already refused him for? Especially when he watches on tv every weekend and sees 8 players starting who are simply not good enough or don’t care , without adequate replacements. Hmm stay and dominate the Dutch league and wait for a better club or accept the challenge of taking the same bunch of players that four other managers have failed with and make them successful ????
I wonder what constitutes a bad first impression with Levy? Football philosophy? Tactics?

Or the words "If I do come, I'd like some of my current players"

Actually, he changed the philosophy. Ajax were a 4-3-3 side who had a lots of sideways passing and relied on quality creative players (like Eriksen) to open teams up. AVB would have been at home there.

Ten Hag changed them to a quicker playing 4-2-3-1 with lots of movement.
I'm not talking about the formation. I'm talking about the clubs set up. Every thing about Ajax from youth development to the nature of the Eredivise makes it hard to judge coaches within that set up. He made be a genius he may....not

I'm going to keep pimping this till someone at Spurs listens. We have bottomed out getting sniffed at by Graham fuckingPotter. If we have go back to go forward with a young progressive attacking coach, there's one who is more tactically adept than Poch. Marcelo Gallardo ( taking English lessons considering a new challenge ) is the risk we should take.
I know nothing about him but a quick look, South American coach of the year 3 years running, a ton of trophies, attacking football, 10 years managerial experience and still only 45...and the Argentine connection. Most importantly probably willing to come here. I'm in. Certainly beats Mason, Howe or Harry Redknapp.

I wonder what constitutes a bad first impression with Levy? Football philosophy? Tactics?

Or the words "If I do come, I'd like some of my current players"
Get rid of Dier, Winks, Davies, Ndombele, Moura, Dele, Kane, Doherty and add £150,000,000 to the kitty, fire Hitchen and get me a proper scouting network and I'll win you everything

"Thank you for your time but we don't believe you're the right candidate for the club at this time"

Get rid of Dier, Winks, Davies, Ndombele, Moura, Dele, Kane, Doherty and add £150,000,000 to the kitty, fire Hitchen and get me a proper scouting network and I'll win you everything

"Thank you for your time but we don't believe you're the right candidate for the club at this time"
I doubt people outside the club know how bad most players on your list are. They would probably come and try to use them for a year and then find out their shitness, only to be fired in a season and then another one comes in and does the same thing.

We need someone to either stay here long enough to sell all of them or promote someone from within for the managers job, so he knows the cunts already and doesnt play them. We had someone like that in Mason but f-ing donkey just played his mates.

I doubt people outside the club know how bad most players on your list are. They would probably come and try to use them for a year and then find out their shitness, only to be fired in a season and then another one comes in and does the same thing.

We need someone to either stay here long enough to sell all of them or promote someone from within for the managers job, so he knows the cunts already and doesnt play them. We had someone like that in Mason but f-ing donkey just played his mates.

To be fair, he did get hit in the head pretty hard.

I'd like to think even the idiot Levy is realising the same thing we all are, that the same players are failing each coach.

I'm not talking about the formation. I'm talking about the clubs set up. Every thing about Ajax from youth development to the nature of the Eredivise makes it hard to judge coaches within that set up. He made be a genius he may....not
Hence, why I mentioned style of play and not just formations.

But anyway, you are talking 3 to 4 players in the 1st 11 that came through that set up, he still has the other 7 or 8 in the team playing the same way that they signed from other clubs.

How bizarre is football?

What will it take to get you on board with this senior VP spot, Matt?

Sack 25% of the staff, replace the HR department head, and give me a recruitment budget equal to 1/3rd our annual turnover to bring in my own people.

Where else in life would it not be assumed you'd hang up on that joker, much less get ridiculed for not saying yes?

A major factor in appointing any manager simply has to be can they work with what they have been given, at least in some part. Outside the oil clubs, no one can afford wholesale sea-change in a playing squad at this level.

Back
Top Bottom