Europa League 2020-21 - Quest For Glory

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It might be the least important but every competition is important under the circumstances: badly needing a trophy, fighting to keep top players interested etc.

There's a good chance all the top sides will tank the league cup next season. If that's the case, I hope we do the opposite and play our strongest available side. We just need one trophy to break our barren run and maybe our luck will change. Woolwich went 10 years without winning any trophy but now they've won 4 in 6 years.

Our 2nd XI should be strong enough to get through the EL qualifiers. And from the group stages, we should prioritise the EL. We won't win the PL next season. Even finishing in the top 4 looks unlikely. So, why not just go all out for the three cups and just aim for a top 6-7 finish in the league?

There's a good chance all the top sides will tank the league cup next season. If that's the case, I hope we do the opposite and play our strongest available side. We just need one trophy to break our barren run and maybe our luck will change. Woolwich went 10 years without winning any trophy but now they've won 4 in 6 years.

Our 2nd XI should be strong enough to get through the EL qualifiers. And from the group stages, we should prioritise the EL. We won't win the PL next season. Even finishing in the top 4 looks unlikely. So, why not just go all out for the three cups and just aim for a top 6-7 finish in the league?
Agree on the cups sentiment, but the league will always be number 1, and I'm not sure it'll make much difference if we "aim" for 6th or not. That's a likely position regardless, and it's not even something we'd achieve if regularly playing some of the second string.

Agree on the cups sentiment, but the league will always be number 1, and I'm not sure it'll make much difference if we "aim" for 6th or not. That's a likely position regardless, and it's not even something we'd achieve if regularly playing some of the second string.
I just feel we'll have a tough time with injuries if we try to juggle the league with the cups next season. And since the Europa League gives us a way to get into the CL as pot 1 seeds, winning it is actually a lot better than just finishing in the top 4 even without taking the whole "European trophy" angle into account. And I want us to go all out for the League Cup because I feel it's the easiest trophy to win in every season but even more so next season as the bigger sides will probably do what Liverpool did last season.

All depends on which team we draw in either cup. Not sure when Internationals are either but would not rest international players before the Internationals. play Kane for 4 matches in a week and then send him to the England camp Knackered. Rest him and he will play both matches and come back knackered anyway.

I just feel we'll have a tough time with injuries if we try to juggle the league with the cups next season. And since the Europa League gives us a way to get into the CL as pot 1 seeds, winning it is actually a lot better than just finishing in the top 4 even without taking the whole "European trophy" angle into account. And I want us to go all out for the League Cup because I feel it's the easiest trophy to win in every season but even more so next season as the bigger sides will probably do what Liverpool did last season.
I don't really get what you're saying we should do differently though. Play a severely weakened team in the league? That will be the opposite of what the manager is tasked to do. There are even penalties for playing weak sides in the league. Top 4 is a much more likely route to the CL than Europa anyway.

I'm with you on having a good shot at the League Cup though.

Unless we play kids and/or get knocked straight out of the cups, there is going to be some brutal fixture congestion.

Ultimately it will be a balancing act with a bit of rotation for most games, but there's no way the Europa and League Cup will see stronger XI than the league.

I don't really get what you're saying we should do differently though. Play a severely weakened team in the league? That will be the opposite of what the manager is tasked to do. There are even penalties for playing weak sides in the league. Top 4 is a much more likely route to the CL than Europa anyway.

I'm with you on having a good shot at the League Cup though.

Unless we play kids and/or get knocked straight out of the cups, there is going to be some brutal fixture congestion.

Ultimately it will be a balancing act with a bit of rotation for most games, but there's no way the Europa and League Cup will see stronger XI than the league.

I do not think so.

I doubt we face a better team in Europa than City, Liverpool. Chelsea or United. Maybe we face a better team that United in the SF or Finals but it would likely be a marginally better team at best and would be in a one off game which is an easier thing to win than over 38 games.

This also doesn't factor in a luck/magically run from a Leicester or Wolves which is possible.

LC is the easiest trophy to win because its absolutely fucking rubbish. Seriously, the stupidest competition in global football. The idea of prioritizing the fucking LC which provides fuck all over the Europa League which actually pays money and provides a CL spot is just absurd.

:mourshock:

Play the team that is best taking into account the opponent. If we draw Woolwich in the League cup I would not want to play the kids but if Colchester that is a different matter. Oh that did not work out last season did it.

LC is the easiest trophy to win because its absolutely fucking rubbish. Seriously, the stupidest competition in global football. The idea of prioritizing the fucking LC which provides fuck all over the Europa League which actually pays money and provides a CL spot is just absurd.

:mourshock:
Didn't feel like rubbish or stupid when we beat Chelsea to lift it

Didn't feel like rubbish or stupid when we beat Chelsea to lift it
Because we've won practically nothing of consequence in 30 years. Do you actually think those blue cunts even remember losing a LC final to us much less care? I'd rather we win 1 league title like Leicester than a dozen pointless league cups no one gives a toss about.

Utterly fucking stupid competition, who else even has a 2nd rate domestic cup? Waste of time, should've been squelched a long time ago.

I do not think so.

I doubt we face a better team in Europa than City, Liverpool. Chelsea or United. Maybe we face a better team that United in the SF or Finals but it would likely be a marginally better team at best and would be in a one off game which is an easier thing to win than over 38 games.

This also doesn't factor in a luck/magically run from a Leicester or Wolves which is possible.

We've finished top 4 in 4 of the last 5 seasons, yet have never gone further than the quarters of the Europa League/UEFA in modern times. Yes the opponents are generally of lower standard than the top of the PL, but two legged knockouts are notoriously difficult. Just look at what happened to Man Utd, Wolves and Woolwich this season.

Don't get me wrong - winning the league is harder than winning the Europa, but coming fourth in the PL is definitely more doable than winning the Europa.

The odds always back this up as well- have a look in September.

We've finished top 4 in 4 of the last 5 seasons, yet have never gone further than the quarters of the Europa League/UEFA in modern times. Yes the opponents are generally of lower standard than the top of the PL, but two legged knockouts are notoriously difficult. Just look at what happened to Man Utd, Wolves and Woolwich this season.

Don't get me wrong - winning the league is harder than winning the Europa, but coming fourth in the PL is definitely more doable than winning the Europa.

The odds always back this up as well- have a look in September.

We have played in Europa what once or twice in the past 5 seasons. I think that has more to do with us not going far in it than it being too tough.

Also I think our team is weaker than it has been when we made those top 4 finishes and there has not been a time when there have been 4 of the other top 6 being this strong. I think this year will be tougher to make top 4 than in the past because it is only us and Woolwich that are weak so we have to beat stronger teams in City, Liverpool, Chelsea and United.

Looking at Wolves, Woolwich and United not one of them lost to a team that I think we couldn't beat if we met them in the Europa League.

If you said we had to face the equivalent of Inter and Sevilla as the toughest teams to win Europa I take that every day of the week over finishing ahead of City, Liverpool. Chelsea and United in terms of likeliness.

We have played in Europa what once or twice in the past 5 seasons. I think that has more to do with us not going far in it than it being too tough.

Also I think our team is weaker than it has been when we made those top 4 finishes and there has not been a time when there have been 4 of the other top 6 being this strong. I think this year will be tougher to make top 4 than in the past because it is only us and Woolwich that are weak so we have to beat stronger teams in City, Liverpool, Chelsea and United.

Looking at Wolves, Woolwich and United not one of them lost to a team that I think we couldn't beat if we met them in the Europa League.

If you said we had to face the equivalent of Inter and Sevilla as the toughest teams to win Europa I take that every day of the week over finishing ahead of City, Liverpool. Chelsea and United in terms of likeliness.
We only need to finish ahead of 1 of those teams, by 1 point or 1 goal difference, not all 4 of them. Almost all of your league points come against much weaker teams anyway.

On paper and based on wealth, yes Spurs and all the other top 6 teams should beat everyone in the Europa league, but it's rarer than it should be that it actually happens. Time and time again the Spanish teams seem to take it 100% seriously and win it. That or bloody Chelsea.

We just had an appalling season by recent standards, but were still just a couple of wins from 4th. There is always a big team or 2 that under achieves.

Back
Top Bottom