Europa league or Nothing?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Europa league or Nothing?

• Europa League qualification

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • No Europe at all

Votes: 45 45.9%
  • I haven’t given up on top 4/5 yet

Votes: 21 21.4%

• Total voters
I really enjoy midweek European matches, so Europa is fine by me if CL is gone.
Send the kids to the away group games, strong team for the home ones. Then take it seriously from the knockouts.
Europa participation is important for Uefa coefficient as well, and generally good for revenue.

Normal circumstances I'd want Europa League, but our squad is so paper thin and with the need to move players in and out it might hurt us. That thought should never enter the heads of anyone at the club though, but it is nice to know it isn't the end of the world if we finish 8th as opposed to 6th/7th. Those spots are the worst outcome IMO because of how early your season starts.

I don't fully understand the narratives that surround European qualification to be honest. If a club doesn't make CL then it's said they will lose their players and will be unable to attract quality to the Club. Yet that narrative never affected Chelsea, Man U etc when they failed, in fact they just carried on as normal.

There may be truth in it but equally, it's a narrative that only gets aimed at select clubs.

We are so far away from being a cohesive team we can't have the distraction of Europe, this team is gassed and is not coached, we need dip out of Europa altogether, we simply aren't able to compete on a domestic level, let alone juggling a European one as well.

Prett sure it's simply a case that a handful of clubs are seen as prestigious enough, win trophies regularly enough or pay high enough for it to be less of an issue.

Look at another way..... Hazard didn't come here cos we missed out on CL back in 2011.

I agree no champions league then don’t bother with Europa league concentrate on league form and have a proper go at the fa cup then use the league cup for the kids perhaps Europe had become a distraction and papered over the cracks that were starting to appear

So potentially do a 'Colchester' then have no feasible way to service and develope your squad/new/young players?

Players get unhappy if left kicking their heels with no matches to play unless you buy them off with mega wages.

No Europe is simply a back step in the process of building the squad up to being able to challenge on all fronts; something we worked extremely hard over the last decade of more to do.

Last edited:
The idea that people are calling for a major squad revamp and yet simultaneously toying with the idea that we would stand an outside chance of winning the league (cos Chelsea) is pretty damn far fetched.

So potentially do a 'Colchester' then have no feasible way to service and develope your squad/new/young players?

Players get unhappy if left kicking their heels with no matches to play unless you buy them off with mega wages.

No Europe is simply a back step in the process of building the squad up to being able to challenge on all fronts; something we worked extremely hard over the last decade of more

No Europe is simply a back step in the process of building the squad up to being able to challenge on all fronts; something we worked extremely hard over the last decade of more to do.
At the moment we haven't got a squad with enough quality to challenge on all fronts here we are in March out of every cup competition way off in the league perhaps rest them all bless them and bring in kids as they aren't on mega wages and might actually play for the pride of the club not the mighty dollar

I hate the Europa League, it only really gets interesting once you reach the last 8 but even then nobody gives a shit about it as the CL is at the same stage.

We're better off without it imo.

They should never have scrapped the Cup Winners' Cup.

Up until then there were 3 prestigious European competitions.

Scrapping the Cup Winners' Cup and sending those that would have qualified for it into the UEFA Cup/Europa League devalued the competition and attempts to make it more appealing: teams getting knocked out of the Champions League going into the Europa League; Europa League winners qualifying for the Champions League just devalued it even further.

The Europa League seems like a Mickey Mouse competition now compared to the Champions League.

Next UEFA are bringing in the Europa Conference League, presumably the thinking behind that is that the Europa League will look more prestigious if they introduce a competition that is even worse.

At the moment we haven't got a squad with enough quality to challenge on all fronts here we are in March out of every cup competition....

Yes, if I haven't already, I happily acknowledge as much but if you're hoping to supplement the quality at our core with kids or develope young, rough diamond signings; in what games do you build them up?

You want to trickle even further down the league next year whilst this new generation learn on the job in the EPL?

People forget, no Europe at all = 8th or worse.

That's not minor a back-step to go forward; that's a return to the 90s.

way off in the league perhaps rest them all bless them and bring in kids as they aren't on mega wages and might actually play for the pride of the club not the mighty dollar

Depending on whether one has given up on a European placing this year; you could, but kids + Kane next year isn't gonna magically bounce us back to top four.

(This years Chelsea isn't a realistic outlier here.... They had a generation of players ready to break out thanks to a mass - and not entirely legal - system of stockpiling.)

Retaining European football of some description maintains an infrastructure that allows us to redeveloped our squad by means of fresh signings and supplement it with a few worthy academy lads.

(It's no coincidence that we've struggled to integrate players since becoming a CL regular.... Jansen, GKN etc. are a prime example of this: If we could have built them up in the EL theirs would likely had been a different story. As it was there weren't enough lower stakes games to afford them gametime to gel and grow with the existing squad.)

Throwing a bunch of unqualified kids to the proverbial lions merely in the name of youthful enthusiasm (against the likes of Utd, Arse & WH who have everything still to play for) is a hiding to nothing.

Yes, if I haven't already, I happily acknowledge as much but if you're hoping to supplement the quality at our core with kids or develope young, rough diamond signings; in what games do you build them up?

You want to trickle even further down the league next year whilst this new generation learn on the job in the EPL?

People forget, no Europe at all = 8th or worse.

That's not minor a back-step to go forward; that's a return to the 90s.

Depending on whether one has given up on a European placing this year; you could, but kids + Kane next year isn't gonna magically bounce us back to top four.

(This years Chelsea isn't a realistic outlier here.... They had a generation of players ready to break out thanks to a mass - and not entirely legal - system of stockpiling.)

Retaining European football of some description maintains an infrastructure that allows us to redeveloped our squad by means of fresh signings and supplement it with a few worthy academy lads.

(It's no coincidence that we've struggled to integrate players since becoming a CL regular.... Jansen, GKN etc. are a prime example of this: If we could have built them up in the EL theirs would likely had been a different story. As it was there weren't enough lower stakes games to afford them gametime to gel and grow with the existing squad.)

Throwing a bunch of unqualified kids to the proverbial lions merely in the name of youthful enthusiasm (against the likes of Utd, Arse & WH who have everything still to play for) is a hiding to nothing.
we can't even beat Norwich Burnley or anyone else at the moment I'm afraid it could be dark times ahead I love this club to bits the team needed a revamp after the champions league final if we manage 5th that's not going to attract the quality we so desperately need is 5th going to make Harry a happy boy ? Interesting times ahead as always with spurs coys

we can't even beat Norwich Burnley or anyone else at the moment I'm afraid it could be dark times ahead I love this club to bits the team needed a revamp after the champions league final if we manage 5th that's not going to attract the quality we so desperately need is 5th going to make Harry a happy boy ? Interesting times ahead as always with spurs coys

Essentially, I'm saying we need the extra games that comes from playing in Europe..... I thought that would be pretty clear.

We're shit; play kids isn't really a solution.

As for 5th? If that gets us CL the surely that's the ideal position to re build from?

Back
Top Bottom