Everton v Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When I saw the lads shift and move here.....

45KVO7b.jpg

I thought, "we are going to roll this."

Look at the shape and pressure we are putting on them. He's got no options but to air it out forward under duress, and then we pick it up and recycle it back in. Fantastic.

A great game to watch.

But I will predict the following:

We will ship at least one goal, possibly two this season from fuck ups in the back. It is going to happen.

We have been lucky so far but that will not last all season. I just hope when it comes that it doesn't cost us points. There is a time to pass out of the back and there is a time to just hoof it, and it feels like the team has been told to try and play it out at your feet despite the risk. Perhaps this gives some advantage by bringing the opposition out of position, but jesus it gives me heart burn at times.

In any case, onward and upward.

COYS

Very good performance, as expected they looked much sharper and more like our true Spurs.
What I liked in particular was we seemed much more aggressive but we were not giving silly free kicks away right in front of the box, which is crucial when facing someone like Siggy.
It was clever, controlled aggression for the most part. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Dier looks great in midfield again, kept it mostly simple but for that lovely reverse pass to Eriksen who was in the box. Looks like with Big Vic out for a while Dier can cement his midfield position again which I think suits him better than defense (although he isn't too shabby there either).
Davinson looks an absolute unit at the back, I can't see anyone beating him for pace or strength, he looks real quality... I thought he was very decisive on the ball and looked as if this was his 20th match he was so comfortable.

I honestly have a feeling we are going to do something special this season. I just feel it, we got Sissoko now looking good (very important for squad depth) , and also the new signings are of higher caliber which means I think levels are gonna get raised a lot in training, and obviously this will show in the actual games.

How did Pochettino get Schneiderlin to be one of the best DMs in the PL?
He's looked bang average at Man U and Everton.
Did we dodge a bullet or would Pochettino have had him performing?

To think in 2014, I hoped Frank De Boer was in charge and we'd sign Morgan Schneiderlin. His career has gone to pot since leaving Southampton. How did Siggy perform yesterday? Seemed pretty anonymous on the MOTD highlights, looked like Eriksen schooled him in that creative midfield role. :gylfi::eriksenlol:

Looking forward to work tomorrow, more so after the conversation overheard Friday afternoon in the open office with a bluenose saying he hates Spurs and so badly wants to win and a gobshite intern (typical goon) backing him.

Knowing the bluenose (he knows I'm a Yid) he quietly had a word with the intern who went suddenly quiet as I made it clear I wasn't happy with what shit he was spouting in an open office about my team.

The way we dismantled them yesterday and made them look average with their £45m buys doing FA was glorious. Verbal pelters are incoming first thing Monday.

But but doesn't buying loads of players and spending loads of money mean one team gets better and not buying lots of players and sticking with your team from the previous season means the other ones get worse?

We drew at Goodison last season, we obliterated them today.

This team is growing together.

But but doesn't buying loads of players and spending loads of money mean one team gets better and not buying lots of players and sticking with your team from the previous season means the other ones get worse?

We drew at Goodison last season, we obliterated them today.
Of course it does, silly!
See the first 1,000 pages of the transfer thread for details.

When I saw the lads shift and move here.....

45KVO7b.jpg

I thought, "we are going to roll this."

Look at the shape and pressure we are putting on them. He's got no options but to air it out forward under duress, and then we pick it up and recycle it back in. Fantastic.

A great game to watch.

But I will predict the following:

We will ship at least one goal, possibly two this season from fuck ups in the back. It is going to happen.

We have been lucky so far but that will not last all season. I just hope when it comes that it doesn't cost us points. There is a time to pass out of the back and there is a time to just hoof it, and it feels like the team has been told to try and play it out at your feet despite the risk. Perhaps this gives some advantage by bringing the opposition out of position, but jesus it gives me heart burn at times.

In any case, onward and upward.

COYS

A decent left back would fake down the line, cut inside then switch to right wing quickly and take 4 or 5 of our players out the game. Its all about not panicking on the ball and having ability to beat the first man then look up.

The way to beat us is to keep your full backs wide and keep spraying balls left to right and back again to wear out the press. With so many Spurs players close to the ball we are vulnerable to a long ball in behind or a flick on to a pacy winger / striker.

Decent sides will be able to do this, especially in Europe. But premier league fodder will have all sorts of problems. As we saw yesterday.

Last edited:
I thought Sissoko looked much more involved yesterday playing CM, if Poch keeps finding a place for him in the team we can only assume he's smashing it in training.

Everton were toothless up front as I predicted, they never replaced Lukaku. If they had any pretensions to do anything this year they needed to keep him. Rooney is their most gifted player but his legs have gone.

Looking forward to work tomorrow, more so after the conversation overheard Friday afternoon in the open office with a bluenose saying he hates Spurs and so badly wants to win and a gobshite intern (typical goon) backing him.

Knowing the bluenose (he knows I'm a Yid) he quietly had a word with the intern who went suddenly quiet as I made it clear I wasn't happy with what shit he was spouting in an open office about my team.

The way we dismantled them yesterday and made them look average with their £45m buys doing FA was glorious. Verbal pelters are incoming first thing Monday.
You could congratulate him on winning the transfer window

:myword:

It was so fun to look at the starting XI today and realise just how far we've come in the last few years. Outside of a couple of world-class stars (who we knew we couldn't keep) like Modric and Bale, we've never had such thorough quality in my lifetime.

Here was our team lineup on September 11th 2010 in our 1-1 draw against West Brom at the Hawthorns:

Cudicini
Corluka
Kaboul
Gallas
Bale
Lennon
Palacios
Huddlestone
van der Vaart
Modric
Pavlyuckenko (hi Freudlyuchenko Freudlyuchenko )

In seven years, I think it's clear how far we've developed the team, and perhaps Levy suffers from how gradual it's been. Just because we haven't had the disgusting financial doping of Man City doesn't mean we've not come on leaps and bounds.

Oh, and all while the new stadium is looming over North London. The future is bright, the future is Lilywhite.
The future's bright, but its the relative benches that show that better imo

Spurs (4-2-3-1):- Cudicini; Corluka, Gallas, Kaboul, Bale; Huddlestone (Capt.), Palacios; Lennon (sub Crouch, 77), Van Der Vaart, Modric (sub Kranjcar, 32); Pavlyuchenko (sub Keane, 64)

Subs not used:- Pletikosa; Bassong, Ekotto; Jenas

The XI was pretty much the one that got to CL QF, but couldn't sustain top 4 CL.

A decent left back would fake down the line, cut inside then switch to right wing quickly and take 4 or 5 of our players out the game. Its all about not panicking on the ball and having ability to beat the first man then look up.

The way to beat us is to keep your full backs wide and keep spraying balls left to right and back again to wear out the press. With so many Spurs players close to the ball we are vulnerable to a long ball in behind or a flick on to a pacy winger / striker.

Decent sides will be able to do this, especially in Europe. But premier league fodder will have all sorts of problems. As we saw yesterday.
Fuck me - you really have all the answers, you must be Jose Mourinho.
I never realised that football was so simple and predictable.
I wonder why no-one else has spotted it?

Sissoko.
Didn't see the whole game just the half hour highlights, but if the club would have made him an option would have voted for him.
He needs some love.

It was probably Sissoko's best game for us, but he or Lloris were our worst (least best) players.

Sanchez has the potential to be one of the very best, his only weakness is lack of experience / playing time with the team.

We need to play 3 t the back every game, it covers for the weaknesses in the fullbacks and gets Vertonghen and Alderweireld on the ball.

Back
Top Bottom