FA Cup replay vs Newport. 7th Feb, 19:45KO (Moura is ineligible this round due to FA Rules Cup)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Despite all our criticism of City they're still giving more minutes to young players than we are

is this the same City that refused to name a full bench for there last PL game, as Pep was in a mood as he never got to sign Mahrez? rather then promote a youth player to warm the bench he choose to has 1 less player in his match day squad?
Not sure how Poch can win on this one, most want a stronger squad, we now have that, yet now we need to give Youth players more time? I agree it would be nice to see some of the academy players coming through, and im sure we will when they are good enough, and earn there place through merit!

Thoroughly professional performance ... we let them run around for twenty minutes, no shots on goal, then stepped up our game cruised to a half time lead and played the second half at walking pace .... we could have scored more but GD doesn't count in cup games so who cares .... same again at Rochdale then with luck in the draw for the quarters it's Wembley/Wembley/Wembley ......

People slating Llorente - not sure what they expected when we signed him. He's past his prime and happy to sit on the bench. Granted some of these chances he should be putting away

Having said that - as long as we have Kane's quality in the team we have 2 options in terms of back-up striker

- older, generally past-it, experienced continental striker - i.e. Llorente, Giroud, Negredo, etc.
- younger, up and coming promising talent - Janssen, Moreno, Werner, etc.

We will not be signing a top striker in his prime to sit on the bench behind Kane - fans need to accept that reality.

Last edited:
We have the 2nd youngest squad in the league. We would have had the youngest were Winks not injured this season. City are joint 12th.
As for minutes from academy players City have amassed a massive 7mins playing time (Foden). Only Utd and the scum have more minutes played than us (2,738mins) but that does include wheelchair, whilst an academy product he's not "young" so take him or leave him in the accumulation. Same again for Utd. their figures also include Pogba, whilst technically true, he did a Crouch where they sold him before playing for them only to buy him latter on.

*these figs are nearly 3 weeks out of date.
And our figures include Kane

As poor as he is, i feel that jurys still out for Llorente. Feels like this is Poch fault to expect him to adapt to our game. If he wants that, buy somebody with similar traits with Kane. Janssen, Llorente, it seems like we have certain specs on a backup striker.

Of course a striker will loss confidence having the period as Janssen and Llorente.
As to the specific of the clear chance he missed with his head. I dare to say nobody in the squad could have done it better. That header after the ball first bounce.
Of course if they decided to use the same move. If Dele gets it, he probably juggle it 3 times before he volleyed it.

People slating Llorente - not sure what they expected when we signed him. He's past his prime and happy to sit on the bench. Granted some of these chances he should be putting away

Having said that - as long as we have Kane's quality in the team we have 2 options in terms of back-up striker

- older, generally past-it, experienced continental striker - i.e. Llorente, Giroud, Negredo, etc.
- younger, up and coming promising talent - Janssen, Moreno, Werner, etc.

We will not be signing a top striker in his prime to sit on the bench behind Kane - fans need to accept that reality.
I actually think Llorente had a decent game overall - his hold up play was good and he brought the others into the game well. Very frustrating to see him miss all of those chances - even if he'd scored just one I think we'd have a different take on his performance today

I actually think Llorente had a decent game overall - his hold up play was good and he brought the others into the game well. Very frustrating to see him miss all of those chances - even if he'd scored just one I think we'd have a different take on his performance today
True - assisted Sissoko for the first as well

Same. Like Janssen he did mostly everything right but scoring. He looks a bit heavy and clunky at times but he is a big dude and getting on in age for a footballer so that isn't surprising.

They are 11th in League Two - Llorente has World Cup Winners medal

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a bit more than his hold up play being okay

And our figures include Kane
Who turned 24yrs just 6 months ago. However you wish to cut it, you were spectacularly wrong that City give "more minutes" to young players than us!

I was disappointed that KWP didn't start yesterday, I've made my feelings known that I think he is technically a better footballer than Frodo. But having said that I completely understand Poch's selection to play Rose (who we need to be on form for the run-in and the more minutes the better for Aurier too) and I didn't see the need for Eriksen to come on last night, would have liked to have seen Oakley-Booth instead. But we have all craved a squad depth of quality and now with players returning to fitness we have exactly that and it can be argued that priority should be given to these players ahead of any academy player. KWP was on the front cover of the programme last night, I'm sure he would have traded that for a start but it shows that he's in our thoughts, not forgotten.

Who turned 24yrs just 6 months ago. However you wish to cut it, you were spectacularly wrong that City give "more minutes" to young players than us!

I was disappointed that KWP didn't start yesterday, I've made my feelings known that I think he is technically a better footballer than Frodo. But having said that I completely understand Poch's selection to play Rose (who we need to be on form for the run-in and the more minutes the better for Aurier too) and I didn't see the need for Eriksen to come on last night, would have liked to have seen Oakley-Booth instead. But we have all craved a squad depth of quality and now with players returning to fitness we have exactly that and it can be argued that priority should be given to these players ahead of any academy player. KWP was on the front cover of the programme last night, I'm sure he would have traded that for a start but it shows that he's in our thoughts, not forgotten.
Who's Frodo?

Ha ha, one 'big' game and they are already down the path of "who are these Johnny come latelys telling me what to do"

Modern football, eh?...
"Who the fuck is gonna make me sit down at the footie!?"

"Me sir, my daughter could not see the game because you stood up".

:dembelelol:

Imagine going to one of the biggest games in your lifetime and you are told to sit down? Do what I did as a kid, stand on your chair.
TBF if I was seated in front of an 11 year old girl as this gentleman apparently was I would be considerate enough and sit down. Especially in an all seater stadium

Back
Top Bottom