FC Basel - Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone else think AVB's comments after the game were a bit weird. Like I know what he was getting at but do we really give a shit what we've done to elevate the competition in England? We don't work for UEFA and also I'm sure if there were a few English teams in the champions league then last night would probably be a footnote on the sports pages. I can't see teams like Wigan next season going 'oh spurs managed to play practically their first eleven in Europa league so we're going to now.'

Not slating the manager at all but just a weird thing to focus on. I imagine he was incredibly disappointed at the end and his mind a bit weary.

Think he was trying to shift focus from the loss and be positive. Was a weird line of thought though, I do agree with what hd said however.

I don't get how you can get me offering my view on a website is somehow detremential to the team?

It's either blind naivety or misplaced arrogance.

The idea that dear Ade would a) bother to read. B) care.

Is both laughable and quite sweet.

I don't shout out obscenities at him when I'm at the lane although he is one of the main reasons I've only been about 8 times this season. I hate to think I'm contributing to his wage.

Trust me. Ade doesn't care what I think and it doesn't change his ability to wreck or lol save our season.

Promise.

Anyone else think AVB's comments after the game were a bit weird. Like I know what he was getting at but do we really give a shit what we've done to elevate the competition in England? We don't work for UEFA and also I'm sure if there were a few English teams in the champions league then last night would probably be a footnote on the sports pages. I can't see teams like Wigan next season going 'oh spurs managed to play practically their first eleven in Europa league so we're going to now.'

Not slating the manager at all but just a weird thing to focus on. I imagine he was incredibly disappointed at the end and his mind a bit weary.
Yeah, but part of AVB's bag has always been "executive speak" style spiel to the media. Wouldn't read much into it. He's just trying to tell the world that his squad is good and noteworthy, and made the competition worth watching. Nowt wrong in that.

He was merely paving the way for us to put out strong teams next season. :dude:

:harryfacepalm::harrylol:
You do know we've had nearly a season without Harry now, yeah?

Are you ever going to let the butthurt go?

Christ, I wasn't even in the anti-Harry crowd.
dayton.gif

The saddest thing for Ade is that after last night's PK miss, he will be a scapegoat for the boo-boys, and my ST neighbour in Paxton - let's call him Mr Pie-man, will be throwing his tea down on the floor yet again, him and the other 15-20,000-odd non-supporting boo-boys at WHL will create an atmosphere of tension, loudly abusing Ade and Dempsey at the first opportunity, the first time they do the slightest thing wrong. Their heckling will bring about a self-filfilling prophecy of doom.

The only way to avoid this is for Ade to get an early goal aginst City...

Dempsey has already gone public about the tense atmosphere at WHL affecting their performance and the result, can't see it improving at the City match without an early goal.

I just don't understand why a player wouldn't just put their foot right through a pen and go for bottom corner every time.

I really hoped that freund, as a German, would have told the lads just before the shoot out not to try any stupid shit. Hudd did this but he didn't quite get enough on it and the keeper guesses correctly.

Adebayors run up wasn't the problem. You don't score from run ups (although they can put the keeper off).
The fact he then leant right back and side footed the ball is a travesty for a professional striker.

Just read the 'argument' personally I think it's pointless. But I do hate the constant bias towards Dempsey from the American Yids. But they still support the same team as us.

What? You mean to tell me Dempsey isn't the most passionate, hardest working and skillful player on our team? Blasphemy!

hqdefault.jpg

I just don't understand why a player wouldn't just put their foot right through a pen and go for bottom corner every time.

I really hoped that freund, as a German, would have told the lads just before the shoot out not to try any stupid shit. Hudd did this but he didn't quite get enough on it and the keeper guesses correctly.

Adebayors run up wasn't the problem. You don't score from run ups (although they can put the keeper off).
The fact he then leant right back and side footed the ball is a travesty for a professional striker.
anyone would think that we didn't practice them at all.

It is difficult to gather confidence from a game that we put so much into and yet lost but we have to. There were a couple of players who really stood up to the task, none more so than Michael Dawson.

I do think, save for injury to Lloris, Freidel played his last game for Spurs. Excellent goalkeeper but he was at fault for the second goal and doesn't install confidence anymore.

Any team missing players of Lloris, Kaboul, Lennon, Sandro, Bale and Defoe's quality (options) would struggle, that we went to penalties against a very good team is testament to the players and coaching set up. When they get back to training AVB will be impressing upon them how well they played, and to continue that endeavour for the remainder of the season will give us a fantastic chance to finish top 3 or 4.

thank god we're not playing this weekend. At one point I looked at Dempsey trying to jog back and he looked like he was going to pass out. Dawson needed a hand getting up every time he went to ground.

Imagine having to play a team with tevez, aguero an yaya toure in it 3 days after that?

Back
Top Bottom