FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk v. Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Didn't see the game, as I was flying out to Vancouver, saw about 10 seconds of it on a TV in a bar here, before it was hurriedly changed over to a rerun of the Canadian ladies hockey.
I take it it was as bad a game, as the pitch was........errm - what was that thing they played on?

that squad was not strong. Considering the line up we put out I'm happy with a 1-0 loss. As long as we field a v strong line up next week we should smash them.
What?

You're saying that like we put a bunch of kids out on the pitch. A side that includes Verts, Daws, Rose, Paulinho, Capoue, Bentaleb, and Soldado shouldn't have lost that game.

Didn't see the game, as I was flying out to Vancouver, saw about 10 seconds of it on a TV in a bar here, before it was hurriedly changed over to a rerun of the Canadian ladies hockey.
I take it it was as bad a game, as the pitch was........errm - what was that thing they played on?
We missed many chances, should have scored at least a couple. Friedel also saved us on a few occasions. 1:1 would have been a fair result

What?

You're saying that like we put a bunch of kids out on the pitch. A side that includes Verts, Daws, Rose, Paulinho, Capoue, Bentaleb, and Soldado shouldn't have lost that game.

They shouldn't have lost but they did by a single goal from the spot. If the strongest team won every game it would be a bit dull wouldnt it. In fact why bother playing?

They shouldn't have lost but they did by a single goal from the spot. If the strongest team won every game it would be a bit dull wouldnt it. In fact why bother playing?
Let's be fair though, the game could have easily ended worse than it did. We are the better team, had a pretty damn good squad out on the pitch, and came away looking really poor.

The difference is that Ade had proved himself at arse, City and Real Madrid....so while Soldado had a great season last year at Valencia, he hadnt actually done fuck all really before he was 28, and is not adjusting to the PL in any way.

I think the concerns are justified, and people saying his price tag is doesnt matter need their heads checked.

Well Soldado had two very good seasons at Getafe and 3 very good seasons at Valencia. He had 88 goals in the last 5 years, hardly a flash in the pan. He might be a dud, and even if he comes good we probably overpaid for him, but there is enough of a precident of strikers having poor first seasons in the PL then coming good that I think we should wait a bit before we slap a Fire Sale tag on him.

Last edited:
...I do not rate Soldado, but I actually was thinking he was playing well before that shocking wiff - had some good touches, and his glancing header and deflected volley were both decent attempts - he was just unlucky - but on the whole this season he has not lived up to his (Big $$$) billing...our back 4 was the difference, though - Daws, Rose, and Naughts can't play D, and Verts doesn't care - at least Friedel and Bentaleb put in respectable performances...
COYS

Well Soldado had two very good seasons at Getafe and 3 very good seasons at Valencia. He had 88 goals in the last 5 years, hardly a flash in the pan. He might be a dud, and even if he comes good we probably overpaid for him, but there is enough of a precident of strikers having poor first seasons in the PL then coming good that I think we should wait a bit before we slap a Fire Sale tag on him.

Ive never once said he should be sold.

But denying he's been diabolical is a bit silly, as is accusing those who point it out of "hating him" ...

Not you that did, but thats what's going on a lot.

Seriously guys, have I missed 10 yrs of success meaning we expect to win every game? Soldado didn't cost 26 he cost 12 plus add ons which with his current form isn't going to be a lot. Would you pay that now for a 81 goal striker in 3 sasons? My guess is yes. I would. I also guarantee if I go back through the thread when we bought him most of the haters here were over the moon. Get behind the club FFS and the players that play for the badge. Maybe if we all stopped hating they would feel a wave of love and support and actually raise there game? Maybe try it....... You might actually prefer it!!!!

Ive never once said he should be sold.

But denying he's been diabolical is a bit silly, as is accusing those who point it out of "hating him" ...

Not you that did, but thats what's going on a lot.

Yeah i agree, I wasn't accusing you of saying he should be sold either, and while I agree he's been a disappointment (to be fair, at 26mil almost anything outside of 20 goals is going to be) the reactionary SELL HIM brigade after every miss gets tiresome. Much like the same people who called for Ade's head after every game last season who now go ballistic when he's not in the line-up.

Yeah i agree, I wasn't accusing you of saying he should be sold either, and while I agree he's been a disappointment (to be fair, at 26mil almost anything outside of 20 goals is going to be) the reactionary SELL HIM brigade after every miss gets tiresome. Much like the same people who called for Ade's head after every game last season who now go ballistic when he's not in the line-up.

Once again though not 26 million, 12 with a view to being 26 if he did what we all thought.

Once again though not 26 million, 12 with a view to being 26 if he did what we all thought.

I understand that numbers are not exact and that often much of the contract is incentive based, but I can't find where you are getting your numbers from. That said, if he did cost 12 million he is still underperforming for that amount so it's more or less a moot point.

The only similar numbers I see are from a Spanish article on the transfer which states: "Valencia have completed €30 million transfer of striker Roberto Soldado to Tottenham Hotspur, where Spurs will pay €12 million up front, €6 million in March 2014, 2015, 2016."

No clue if it's true or not but if the article is correct the only thing he has to do to fulfill the "incentives" is live until 2016.

Back
Top Bottom