First Game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My brother was a Spam fan, but only because he loved Martin Peters.
When Spurs swapped Jimmy for Peters he swapped as well (Thank God)

He took me to my first game 1977 vs Man City, I was10 yrs old and loved every second of it.
We nearly missed the train from Hayes, my brother and his mate held the door open and dragged me in as it was pulling away.

IIRC we were 2-0 up at half time and drew 2-2 (Spursy ?)

When we were relegated a lot of my "Spurs" mates switched to other teams, not me though.

I was never a season ticket holder but was a member and in those days you could get into every home game anyway.
I also remember being in the away at end at WHL against the dippers, we lost 4-1 (Rush was playing)

In 1991 my brother entered a competition in The Sun for 2 tickets for the cup final, he told me to enter as well and I said "Don't be silly 000s will enter, you've got no chance"
Of course he won the 2 tickets and off we went to Wembley.

Spurs v Coventry 12th Aug 1972

2-1 Spurs. Martin Peters both goals.
Still remember this game clearly. Was living near the junction of White Hart Lane and the Great Cambridge Road. Went with my dad ( I was 8) and along the way we picked up a friend of mine. It also happened to be his first THFC game. We stood in the Shelf, not far from the corner.....near the Paxton. Can, even now, vividly see Peters scoring at the Paxton Road end.

I was born and brought up in Northern Ireland and started following Spurs in 1970, aged 7.My first game was actually away at Aston Villa,March 78 I think.2-0 down at halftime and won 3-2!! Chris Jones got two I think.Think first home game was a turgid 0-0 draw v Man U ,September 1979 ( maybe )
I moved to London in1982 to go to University (but mainly to watch Spurs) and didn’t miss a game home or away for the next seven years.Literally the best and happiest times of my entire live.
Was also at that Villa game. we scored those 3 goals in the last 11 minutes. Unreal.
Always thought that Hodd got 2 and Jonah 1. Might be wrong though.

We did the same with my nephew's first game, he was only 3 or so. No chance of getting a milk crate through the gates now!
Years ago - there used to be small wooden steps leading up to the pitch from the terraces at the Paxton and Park Lane. If you got in the ground early enough, you could sit at the top of the one located right behind the goal.

I don't remember what the first game I saw was, but it must have been some time in 2007. The first game I actually went to was in the CL vs Real Madrid at their place in October 2017. Yep, it took me about 10 years to actually go to a game. :harrysmile:

Spurs 4 v 0 stoke 1985. falco, hoddle and chidozie 2 I think.
George Berry was sent off for stoke (guy with the fantastic afro) think he smacked Falco

With football being off for abit thought I'd just ask, what are the circumstances that happened for you to support Spurs?

Because let's be fair, supporting Spurs is basically full on Cuckold. What was your first game?

I'm 24 at the moment, from Wales, but my grandad used to work in London, and in 2002 I went to my first game after not really knowing what football was before this, the game I watched was us at home to Blackburn Rovers where we got spanked 4-0, and since then I was hooked, what a depressing state of affairs.

First games?
Spurs 1-1 Leicester 1973...Gilly + Weller for them.Sat above the old west stand enclosure with my Italian Dad who didn’t give a fuck who won! I’d have been 7.Next game was when we were in the old 2nd div when I started going with my pals.

Was also at that Villa game. we scored those 3 goals in the last 11 minutes. Unreal.
Always thought that Hodd got 2 and Jonah 1. Might be wrong though.
I have just googled it and stand corrected-Hod did score 2 and Jones got one.I also got the year wrong, it was 1979.The advancing years have clearly played havoc with my memory.

First game: I grew up in rural Norfolk. Dad hated all sport apart from snooker and wrestling, bizarrely, which to his death he refused to believe was fixed. He took me to a Norwich game when I was 7 or so, they were in the second, maybe third division then. We sat in the posh seats, no programme, he didn't know any of the players or much of what was happening as I remember. My memory of it is that we sat and watched an unremarkable game in near silence, then went home.

Second game: a few years later I'd got more into football, decided Spurs were my team, partly because I liked the name (initially I picked three teams before I realised you could only have one. The other two were Wolves, understandably, and West Brom, which defies explanation). I'd gone to saty with my sister who was at Uni in London, her new boyfriend was from New Southgate and a mad Spurs fan who'd seen us win the double. He asked me if I fancied going to the game vs West Ham on Boxing Day, of course I did. So he bought me a navy blue silk scarf, which were all the rage at the time, tied to your wrist, which had Tottenham Hotspur on one side and Park Lane End on the other. He took me down the front of said end and just after we got there, Bill Nic was walking round the perimeter, shaking hands with fans. Ian (now my brother-in-law, still a huge fan, our last game together was me treating him to a tour of WHL just before it got pulled down then Leverkeusen at Wembley) stuck out my hand and I got to shake the great man's. Can't remember anything of the game or the result, just being in awe the whole time.

YIDS

It never started with a game. It started with the 1978 panini sticker pack with Ricardo Villa, and Ossie Ardiles.

Something about Ricky, the kit, it looked special. Some how magical. Then I saw hoddle score a goal on match of the day and I was in. Went to my first game after two years of nagging my totally uninterested dad to take me. Would have been 1980 and I was 6 .

I can't even recall the exact first game. My freind Chris *twenty years my senior )said he saw the Hendrix Experience in Kent in 67 and it was like seeing colour tv in a black and white world. I felt that about the Argentines at Spurs.

Back
Top Bottom