Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I couldn’t see why not, especially against teams we expect to control the game against. Bissouma would probably need to be curtailed a bit though which would be a bit of a waste.

I still think Maddison / Biss / Bentancur (or Sarr) makes more sense.

Perhaps if we have to rotate Biss for some reason then Skipp playing a more basic DM role in between Maddison & GLC could work.

Brentford away?

Yeah although they play a lot of physical midfielders and try to restrict time on the ball. But I’d say we’ve got some press resistant midfielders now which is nice.

The main issue with Brentford will be that they aim to play direct and target set pieces. It’ll be a game where we find out a lot about our defenders.

I still think Maddison / Biss / Bentancur (or Sarr) makes more sense.

Perhaps if we have to rotate Biss for some reason then Skipp playing a more basic DM role in between Maddison & GLC could work.

Bentancur will walk in when back, yeah. Or at least he will when he’s back up to speed.

Then I’d expect GLC to fight with Maddison.

Yeah although they play a lot of physical midfielders and try to restrict time on the ball. But I’d say we’ve got some press resistant midfielders now which is nice.

The main issue with Brentford will be that they aim to play direct and target set pieces. It’ll be a game where we find out a lot about our defenders.

This is why I wouldn't hesitate to start VDV..... Just give him a very basic remit: "You're the last man and recovery runs is your job.... Own it."

Can't remember now... Doesn't Mbueno play off the left? In which case the match ups should work well for us on that side (Emerson & Romero roaming a bit more); with U-dog afforded a bit more freedom and VDV to cover for him

This is why I wouldn't hesitate to start VDV..... Just give him a very basic remit: "You're the last man and recovery runs is your job.... Own it."

Can't remember now... Doesn't Mbueno play off the left? In which case the match ups should work well for us on that side (Emerson & Romero roaming a bit more); with U-dog afforded a bit more freedom and VDV to cover for him

VDV is meant to be iffy aerially. Which Brentford eat up. See: Lisandro Martinez in one of his early PL games, admittedly an extreme example. Would be a really tough game to introduce a CB to the Premier League in.

Then again, they’re missing Toney. But still on set pieces they’re clever and aggressive and have big players.

I thought they played Mbuemo off the right but might be wrong.

Kicks like a 7 year old.

Thought he'd added more power after his goal against spam, but looks like it was a freak. lol

Much better in this system, tho, so he can stay.

VDV is meant to be iffy aerially. Which Brentford eat up. See: Lisandro Martinez in one of his early PL games, admittedly an extreme example. Would be a really tough game to introduce a CB to the Premier League in.

Then again, they’re missing Toney. But still on set pieces they’re clever and aggressive and have big players.

I thought they played Mbuemo off the right but might be wrong.

I was wrong.........

352 with Mbueno on the right & Tony in off the left or towards the end of the season 433 with a front 3 or Mbuenno (RW) / Wiss (CF) / Schade (LW).

Still think recovery pace will be our best asset as none of our CBs are particularly good in the air regardless.

He was fucking excellent yesterday.

Pre season is pre season but he's definitely shown the right attitude. Looks like he's set to stay, so we have to get behind him and hope he can translate the pre season form into domestic competitive football form.

Been one of our most consistent performers this pre season. Who'd have thought it?

I have a feeling we'll see a lot more rotation with Ange than with Conte.

It's funny, with the changes in the subs rules we all confidently predicted that Conte was just the man for such a system and then it turned out to be quite the opposite.

Extreme stubbornness I suppose

Played pretty well against Barca. I would pick Bissouma, Skipp and Maddison for Brentford away though. Skipp might be a bit rough technically at times but his effort and intensity are sky high, he can make things happen in a team that wants to press.

Back
Top Bottom