Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Those dribbles out of trouble from our own half was exactly what we saw from Gio at Betis when we bought him. He was a one man ball transporter. One of the attributes that pushed him slightly ahead of Bruno that window.

If he stays healthy he’ll be a huge contributor
He carries Skipp so hard it's frightening from these clips..

Contract soon up, will be interesting to see what we do with GLC. Some good performances under us & Ange can do wonders for a player. He looks reborn and happy to be here.. He really should have started more games as well, hopefully that will be from now on.

I reckon we make a decision this summer as it should be..
See if he has improved enough and trying to weigh the positives/negatives.

Ndombele is one of the most crazy gifted footballers I have seen at this club, but he doesn’t seem to like football, doesn’t seem to care about football, doesn’t care about his reputation of not giving two fucks and seems to want to just retire and eat.

He put in 1-2 wonderful seasons for Lyon and France, got his big contract and hung up his boots. He used us and fucked us over but fair play he did it well. I don’t understand though if you are pure talent why you would give it up like that, he must hate football, even if he gave 50-60% he would be a useful player but he doesn’t even do that.

Lo Celso was never that, he clearly didn’t like Conte or Jose but seems reborn under Ange.
On Ndombele, suspect it's money + personality weakness. As per Dele. Happens with quite a few as we know. Sad. I wouldn't describe it as hating football as he must have had dedication and love for the game in spades to get where he got to.

With Porro or Vic's application he'd be one of the best 5 players in the world.

I've liked lo celso a lot this season. Not just for his performances but for his attitude and desire to fight for the team. Giving opposition shit winding them up not backing down I've really liked that side of him this year. If ange wants him I say offer him a 2 or 3 year contract.

I've liked lo celso a lot this season. Not just for his performances but for his attitude and desire to fight for the team. Giving opposition shit winding them up not backing down I've really liked that side of him this year. If ange wants him I say offer him a 2 or 3 year contract.
He seems a bit fragile with all the injuries. I've been against him staying even when Mourinho was mananger, He seemed to drop off after we gave him a permanent contract but I have to admit his last few recent preformances have been very decent.

He seems a bit fragile with all the injuries. I've been against him staying even when Mourinho was mananger, He seemed to drop off after we gave him a permanent contract but I have to admit his last few recent preformances have been very decent.
I don't think he's ever felt truly part of the team. I'm seeing a completely different attitude from him right now and completely different levels in performance.

I don't think he's ever felt truly part of the team. I'm seeing a completely different attitude from him right now and completely different levels in performance.
Exactly. If I'm not mistaken, he was part of a narrative at the start of last season that he was extremely unpopular in the squad. Safe to say that narrative either was bullshit or driven by Conte.

Definitely agree. I think all the south americans/spanish speakers we have gotten have really formed a tight knit group. Look at everyone at his kids first birthday party, he really feels at home here. Also Romero settling in very well and being a leader in the locker room has probably helped GLC readjust and see that he has a future here.

I’m happy he’s doing well atm, but my gut feeling is that we should take advantage of his good form to raise his value and still move him on.

I’ve always felt that we could let Kulusevski replace his role in the squad, and bring in another dynamic forward.

Definitely agree. I think all the south americans/spanish speakers we have gotten have really formed a tight knit group. Look at everyone at his kids first birthday party, he really feels at home here. Also Romero settling in very well and being a leader in the locker room has probably helped GLC readjust and see that he has a future here.
Yep I imagine the old "leadership" group thought he was a cunt and he didn't feel part of it. It's clear there's been a somewhat toxic element in the group over the last few years.

Now with the new captain group, more of a Spanish/Latin contingent plus a manager that values creativity and plays a system that suits him, things are looking up.

His consistent high levels for Argentina always proved there was a player in there which made his Spurs career such a mystery.

If nothing else, he will have been useful this season and we get 15-20m for him in the summer. That's a lot more than the French lump has been able to offer.

View: https://twitter.com/XDcomps/status/1741497089614639244

Phenomenal second half. Genuinely one of the best performances by a Spurs player this season. Long may it continue, we're gonna need him next month.

the good thing about gio is he can play in the 10 if needed but i personally think hes better just in front of the back 4, picking up the ball and starting things off. he isnt afraid to throw his body at the ball if he has too like he did for the sarr goal.

pleased for him, finally looks happy and hungry to get his head down and produce some football. finally in a system that actually wants ball playing midfielders.

not sure we got another player that can play in the hole or in the 2 have we? so he adds even more value by being versatile there. we should be getting CL next year so we need this depth.

Think there’s a good shout to try LoCelso as a 6 if without Bentancur/Bissouma, or some games as a double pivot. LoCelso makes good short movements, excellent short passes through lines.

Alongside Sarr (as 6 or 6/8), for example, LoCelso has that tight control and quick mind to regularly find a darting Sarr (who lacks a little that tightness of control to be the lone base mid).

Loving him finding his Mojo and seemingly growing into a multi functional squad player, not many teams have a player of his qualities in their 12-18 Squad areas.

Does Ange mean we need him until the end of January or longer?
Sounded a bit non-committal to me.

Well, it is pretty obvious that once our main guys are back from injury and in form, Lo Celso is back to bench.

He is nowhere near levels of Madders or Sarr and he obviously is not a #6.

So yea, even though Ange did not mean it as you might think - I believe what was quoted was meant as praise to him.
But that will be the reality going forward regardless.

Wow, people are really funny and failing to understand context in which things happen.

I obviously agree that Lo Celso has been much better and useful for past 2-3 months than he ever has been before and I hope he keeps giving his all for the team going forward as well. But I feel like most posters have memory that spans 1 or max 2 games.

He has had same shaky form even in middle part of this season.
YES - he had two good games against Aston Villa and Man City. And I'm not talking about only his goals. You can go back and see- I highlighted his vertical passing ability which helped us to progress the play quite well and was important for us.

But what happened then?
- West Ham game - he was totally invisible and ineffective, Ange pulled him off at 67th minute
- benched him for Newcastle game ( one we had seasons best performance where Kulu was pulling strings in midfield, creating loads of scoring opportunities)
- next game after that - again out with injury, which is so often case with him
- against Everton and Brighton- again not picked to start by no-one other than Ange
- in Bournemouth game he was overall very good and useful. I admit he deserved MoM award for that.

But come on - 2 good games, 1 poor performance, then 3 games fell from starting XI and missed one with injury. Now one brilliant game and he is "key man and superstar" all of a sudden? It's laughable really.

Some people are using arguments like "We've lost all of the games where PEH has started" as argument to shit on him. But ... I mean... if same logic applies (which obviously it does not, cause it does not fit the agenda) - then GLC has started 5 games this season. This last performance (upon which his whole evaluation is based now) is FIRST win next to three losses and a draw. To be clear - I would not use this evaluation to assess value of either player. Just pointing out the inconsistency.

I hope he remain useful player for as long as possible. But as things stand, I absolutely believe that when we have Bissouma, Sarr, Bentancur, Maddison and Kulusevski all fit and firing, he will be behind all them in the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom