Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Questions, what questions?

Are the comms "Cultists"?
Are the comms "coping"?

Why are you so bent out of shape by Winks gaining minor praise?

It's a simple truth that Winks needs much more than one decent friendly against Ireland to gain any reputation that he's even a semi good player.

Has ANYONE sung a redemption song here?

Nope.

*dribbles into defenders*
*loses the ball*
*concedes on the counter*
*passes to the opposition*

My boy Wanks just need more time bruv!!!

The dickish "cultism" continues on your part. Sad really......

That ball he lost to West Ham was a divisor for me. I wish luck to all Winks defenders and I do think he can improve under Jose - and I generally like him; a player from the academy, Spurs blood, etc. But that ball showed a lot about what he is as a player at this moment; still very naive, still lacking real awareness and character.

In short, I don´t think we can rely on him - and I think Jose realized it too.

That ball he lost to West Ham was a divisor for me. I wish luck to all Winks defenders and I do think he can improve under Jose - and I generally like him; a player from the academy, Spurs blood, etc. But that ball showed a lot about what he is as a player at this moment; still very naive, still lacking real awareness and character.

Yep

It's obvious Jose has already made up his mind about him, Dele and Sanchez.

None of those players have character and mental composure you can rely on to get the team over the line during the most difficult times.

Last edited:
Whenever Winks has a solid game:

I just think Winks is a bad fit for the Spurs squad. We don't have a Monster DM (think Palacios, Sandro, Wanyama before their various issues) that can cover his deficiencies.

Skipp, attributes wise suits the needs of the group much better.

Sacrifice Winks and Dele and turn those funds towards a top class CB.

I missed most of it. I didn't hide that fact.

I'll put stats into context for you though.
I once played as a ringer for a Saturday team. They/we got beat 10-1
I got the 1.
I am fucking useless at football.

Just because he got an assist, lets not all assume he's back on the path to glory. Ireland are shit. I saw Keane rippping into them after the game. They barely touched the ball in the time I was watching it and most of the England players were fringe at best. Championship teams would have been better.

v2yl0M.gif

Moura did something similar in the WBA game at the end and got away with it. Winks is providing rest to Hojbjerg in Europa cup and it only takes an injury to sissoko or Hojbjerg and we need him. This running down of players is not good for the team or confidence of the players as the players may not read these forums their friends and family will and it leaks out.

Moura did something similar in the WBA game at the end and got away with it. Winks is providing rest to Hojbjerg in Europa cup and it only takes an injury to sissoko or Hojbjerg and we need him. This running down of players is not good for the team or confidence of the players as the players may not read these forums their friends and family will and it leaks out.
It doesn't make sense.

First of all, I didn't criticize Winks in a bad way. Actually, I did the opposite. I think Winks can improve under Jose - as I said -, and I like him in general - as I said.

If your point is that fans shouldn't give opinions on players because this is a Spurs forum, then I repeat: it doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Oh brother, Winks cultists are at it again, he could have another string of shit games in the prem but all we'll hear is "b,b,but he played well in a friendly against Ireland!"

This is some heavy duty coping.

It must be said that he seems to be passing forwards a bit more lately, as an alternative to his natural desire to pass sideways or backwards. Someone's clearly working on this part of his game with him and it may be starting to bear fruit.

You have to keep Winks because he came through the academy. In time if Skipp is clearly better then he can be moved on, but at the moment he has an important role to play (albeit as a squad player)

It doesn't make sense.

First of all, I didn't criticized Winks in a bad way. Actually, I did the opposite. I think Winks can improve under Jose - as I said -, and I like him in general - as I said.

If your point is that fans shouldn't criticize players at all because this is a Spurs forum, then I repeat: it doesn't make sense.
Sorry if you feel picked on but no of course posters should criticise players but Winks and Dele are getting far too much criticism especially as they are not actually playing in the PL.

not in the final few seconds of a game when we are winning by one and the ball needs to be smashed into row z. two points lost from sheer stupidity
We were 3 up ten minutes before then, why were we winning only by one in the last few seconds of the match? Because players fucked up. Other players fucked up, who don't get nearly as much stick as Winks. Players messed up and we lost 2 points, that's football. A few games later West Brom's keeper messed up and we got 2 points, football is like that.

We were 3 up ten minutes before then, why were we winning only by one in the last few seconds of the match? Because players fucked up. Other players fucked up, who don't get nearly as much stick as Winks. Players messed up and we lost 2 points, that's football. A few games later West Brom's keeper messed up and we got 2 points, football is like that.
yea who else fucked up? aurier (another liabilty), sanchez (another) and winks (another). all three awful but the last one is the worst, as thats the one that really matters! final few seconds of a game and hes trying to get the ball under control, with west ham breathing down our necks in the final third...pure braindead. thank god jose is a winner

As an old cunt, I'm going to go back to the 80s, when I used to go to Spurs quite a bit. I lived in Hackney, I was piss poor for a lot of the time (and a fair bit of my meagre disposable income went on on wine, women and Class B, so I'm not going to claim to be a regular, although it was always the Park Lane end of the Shelf for me back in the day).

These were the days of a Perryman-Ardiles central midfield. Magnificent, we've never seen two legends like that together since (and probably hadn't since Blanchflower and Mackay). The point of this post is that no one wondered why they didn't score more goals, or moan when they passed the ball backwards. There in the ground you could see what they did and the whole ground loved them. If they were missing (be that through injury, suspension or just a poor game) you noticed it.

I saw tons of games where either one or the other didn't have a noticeable "TV style" impact on the game but you still knew they were a key part in everything else that was happening. Just see how Glenn talks about them, and they about him.

(As a quick aside, I'd like to mention that not everybody was fully aboard the Hoddle-As-Genius bus. There used to be a lot of moaning about him in the early 80s on the terraces, "Glenda", "Doesn't get stuck in" and so forth. Perhaps other old schoolers can confirm this.)

I'm not suggesting for a second that Winks is the new Stevie or Ossie, god forbid, just that it strikes me that tidy central midfielders who kept the ball moving, who generally found better placed team mates, who did their best to cover their defence, who passed back when they wanted to stretch the opposition and all that were more recognised back then.

Younguns - watch a full game or extended highlights from those days. See how often these players trapped the ball, looked around and played a simple pass sideways or even - GOD NO, backwards - to a team mate.

See also: David Howells (who got a fair bit of grief too, often unjustifiably so). Maybe it's to do with greater TV coverage and the balance between the opinions of those at the ground and those watching on the box having shifted.

Like Howells, Harry Winks is Tottenham in ways we can only dream about. Is he the new Osvaldo Ardiles? Of course not, he'd be the first to admit that. Is he a versatile, dependable midfielder who managers love because he does what they tell him to, to the best of his abilities? Certainly.

Is he currently better than Højbjerg, Lo Celso, Ndombele in his current form? No. Can he play a hugely valuable part in covering those players? Yes of course. Will he fuck up massively in doing so? Unlikely.

The worst he'll be is steady, unspectacular, pim-pam, keeping the ball moving, making pretty intelligent decisions based on how he sees the game in front of him. That's more than fine with me.

Rant over

:kanegoal:

Last edited:
As an old cunt, I'm going to go back to the 80s, when I used to go to Spurs quite a bit. I lived in Hackney, I was piss poor for a lot of the time (and a fair bit of my meagre disposable income went on on wine, women and Class B, so I'm not going to claim to be a regular, although it was always the Park Lane end of the Shelf for me back in the day).

These were the days of a Perryman-Ardiles central midfield. Magnificent, we've never seen two legends like that together since (and probably hadn't since Blanchflower and Mackay). The point of this post is that no one wondered why they didn't score more goals, or moan when they passed the ball backwards. There in the ground you could see what they did and the whole ground loved them. If they were missing (be that through injury, suspension or just a poor game) you noticed it.

I saw tons of games where either one or the other didn't have a noticeable "TV style" impact on the game but you still knew they were a key part in everything else that was happening. Just see how Glenn talks about them, and they about him.

(As a quick aside, I'd like to mention that not everybody was fully aboard the Hoddle-As-Genius bus. There used to be a lot of moaning about him in the early 80s on the terraces, "Glenda", "Doesn't get stuck in" and so forth. Perhaps other old schoolers can confirm this.)

I'm not suggesting for a second that Winks is the new Stevie or Ossie, god forbid, just that it strikes me that tidy central midfielders who kept the ball moving, who generally found better placed team mates, who did their best to cover their defence, who passed back when they wanted to stretch the opposition and all that were more recognised back then.

Younguns - watch a full game or extended highlights from those days. See how often these players trapped the ball, looked around and played a simple pass sideways or even - GOD NO, backwards - to a team mate.

See also: David Howells (who got a fair bit of grief too, often unjustifiably so). Maybe it's to do with greater TV coverage and the balance between the opinions of those at the ground and those watching on the box having shifted.

Like Howells, Harry Winks is Tottenham in ways we can only dream about. Is he the new Osvaldo Ardiles? Of course not, he'd be the first to admit that. Is he a versatile, dependable midfielder who managers love because he does what they tell him to, to the best of his abilities? Certainly.

Is he currently better than Højbjerg, Lo Celso, Ndombele in his current form? No. Can he play a hugely valuable part in covering those players? Yes of course. Will he fuck up massively in doing so? Unlikely.

The worst he'll be is steady, unspectacular, pim-pam, keeping the ball moving, making pretty intelligent decisions based on how he sees the game in front of him. That's more than fine with me.

Rant over

The late seventies, early eighties was when I really started going every week too. Ardiles is probably my favourite ever spurs player.

As far as Winks goes, I pretty much agree, I don't overly rate him, nobody thinks he's top banana generally do they, but he's perfectly acceptable compromise (HG) package of attributes to have in a squad at a cost of nothing. I totally get people saying he's pretty meh, I don't get the hyper vitriol where he's concerned. And I really don't like the pass backwards nonsense that gets used to beat him with every week.

But what you are highlighting here really, is that nothing has changed much, (as I tried to point out to Baggio1 Baggio1 who strangely liked you saying it, but didn't't when I did) some players will be adored (especially those that combined the holy grail of industry and talent) and some, for various reasons will get stick. I remember the Hoddle knockers, but it was also people like John Lacy, then through the 90's there were loads (as we were pretty shite then mostly) as you rightly point out Howells, but there were loads of other, Jason Dozell was awful and got mullered, Kerslake, Calderwood, Armstrong, Thatcher, Dean Austin, Ramon Vega and more recently I can remember Carrick (mostly some twat behind me every week in the Park Lane), Palacios and even Parker (who apparently pirouetted too much) etc etc to name a few - I can remember making my way from my seat after one game and some bloke angrily telling everyone what a self centred show pony Ginola was (and he wasn't wrong IMO).

Everything's changed, but nothing has really. We've always cheered some and moaned about others (sometimes the same player).

Last edited:

Rant over

He reminds me more of John Pratt. Not a star player but played a useful part for the team.

Back
Top Bottom