Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You must have a very short memory because in recent seasons he’s saved from Aguero, Vardy and Aubameyang off the top of my head.

He had a patch where I think he saved 3 in a row but hardly saved any before that in his whole Spurs career and none since. So no I don’t have a short memory at all.
In fact I’ve just checked, since saving one from Gundogan in Feb 20 he has failed to save 14 in a row for Spurs

Last edited:
He had a patch where I think he saved 3 in a row but hardly saved any before that in his whole Spurs career and none since. So no I don’t have a short memory at all.
In fact I’ve just checked, since saving one from Gundogan in Feb 19 he has failed to save 14 in a row for Spurs
Hugo has made 11 penalty saves for Spurs

Poor bloke. Let down by a combination of disjointed players playing well below their capability and the ridiculous curiosity of seeing Sissoko on the pitch in front of him. Still, he can forget about all of that by coming home to good old THFC.

:mourweird:

How does that compare to other keeper's over a similar time frame?

He has been a great servant to Spurs but he has one of the poorest penalty records around for a top flight keeper. In his career only 16 of the 103 penalties he has faced have been saved/missed which rounded up equates to 16% of those faced. Of those that I could think of that have faced at least 40 pens, Forster has a 39% success rate, Lehman 31%, Fabianski, Gomes and Heaton 25%, K Schmeichel and Pickford 24%, Leno 21%, Cech 20%, Foster 19%, Van der Sar 18% and Courtois 15%. Surprisingly bringing up the rear is P Schmeichel with a very low 9% (if the stats are correct) so it doesn’t mean Lloris is a poor keeper by any means.
I just get the sinking feeling that whenever we concede a penalty these days it appears to be a nailed on goal. As I said in another post each of the last 14 penalties that he has faced for Spurs have gone in

He has been a great servant to Spurs but he has one of the poorest penalty records around for a top flight keeper. In his career only 16 of the 103 penalties he has faced have been saved/missed which rounded up equates to 16% of those faced. Of those that I could think of that have faced at least 40 pens, Forster has a 39% success rate, Lehman 31%, Fabianski, Gomes and Heaton 25%, K Schmeichel and Pickford 24%, Leno 21%, Cech 20%, Foster 19%, Van der Sar 18% and Courtois 15%. Surprisingly bringing up the rear is P Schmeichel with a very low 9% (if the stats are correct) so it doesn’t mean Lloris is a poor keeper by any means.
I just get the sinking feeling that whenever we concede a penalty these days it appears to be a nailed on goal. As I said in another post each of the last 14 penalties that he has faced for Spurs have gone in
Interesting stats

Thanks

According to this website, the Premiership 'save/miss' average is 17.76%, so Hugo's average of 15.09% doesn't look too shabby. Just very slightly below average?

I'd be more concerned about the goals he's letting in from open play.

According to this website, the Premiership 'save/miss' average is 17.76%, so Hugo's average of 15.09% doesn't look too shabby. Just very slightly below average?

I'd be more concerned about the goals he's letting in from open play.

He’s saved 7/51 in all comps for Spurs = 14%
In Premier League it’s 5/38 = 14% so below average. When you consider that he has faced 103 penalties in his career which is far more than anyone else that I looked at you would think he might be a bit more of an expert than that!

Was Shilton the same great keeper rubbish at pens

Not sure to be fair. I seem to remember him saving a couple from Hoddle when he was younger. But I certainly think the England manager fucked up in World Cup 1990. Surely Robson should have known who was his best bet at saving penalties. Shilton had played quite well in the tournament in open play relying on his experience to read the game well but his reactions were not what they were and he got nowhere near any of the German penalties despite going the right way for all of them. I remember thinking at the time that we should have brought on Chris Woods for penalties who was 10 years younger than 40 year old Shilton. It would have been a brave decision by Robson but I seem to remember a Dutch manager doing the very same thing a few years ago and it paid off.

Last edited:
He’s saved 7/51 in all comps for Spurs = 14%
In Premier League it’s 5/38 = 14% so below average. When you consider that he has faced 103 penalties in his career which is far more than anyone else that I looked at you would think he might be a bit more of an expert than that!
Where the fuck are you getting your numbers from?

He's faced 33 pens
Saved 6
Has, therefore, a penalty save % of 18.8%

I've got my numbers from here: https://fbref.com/en/players/8f62b6ee/all_comps/Hugo-Lloris-Stats---All-Competitions The data comes from StatsBomb.

Back
Top Bottom