Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN
I’m fluent in French. He’s saying he wouldn’t have been guaranteed a start and the bench at spurs is warmer.

Is it not the case that if he becomes a free agent he can sign for someone outside of the transfer window? 🤔

Only if you're made a free agent before the window closes.... If we rip up Dier's contract now, he can't play for (eg) Palace until January.

How that applies across international barriers I'm not sure though.

I’m fluent in French. He’s saying he wouldn’t have been guaranteed a start and the bench at spurs is warmer.

As soon as someone says its not about the money, the intention is clear that it usually is about the money.

Bitter way to finish his good career with us. I'd keep him around don't see the point paying off players contracts so they can play elsewhere. We can't be held to ransom. It's a poor attitude to have when they are being paid huge sums of money to kick a ball.

A big decision if he genuinely did only have an hours notice.

He’s got kids of school age and a family to uproot so that becomes a factor if they’re settled in London.

I wonder if the club might suggest an ambassador or coaching role as an alternative to playing? Either that or he keeps training to stay sharp and has a move sorted for 1st January.

For being captain and being with us for so long and 300 odd appearances it’s all rather low key, don’t know what I was expecting but thought he deserved more of a send off……

A big decision if he genuinely did only have an hours notice.

He’s got kids of school age and a family to uproot so that becomes a factor if they’re settled in London.

I wonder if the club might suggest an ambassador or coaching role as an alternative to playing? Either that or he keeps training to stay sharp and has a move sorted for 1st January.
Incredible to me how so many people can't understand that players are human beings with lives off the pitch and football is their occupation. Of his children, only his oldest daughter lived outside London for about the first 18 months of her life. Being asked to decide in an hour in the middle of the night, to uproot your family and move them to another country when it doesn't even appear likely that you'll get to play any more at the new club than the club you're already at? Not surprising he chose not to go.

Incredible to me how so many people can't understand that players are human beings with lives off the pitch and football is their occupation. Of his children, only his oldest daughter lived outside London for about the first 18 months of her life. Being asked to decide in an hour in the middle of the night, to uproot your family and move them to another country when it doesn't even appear likely that you'll get to play any more at the new club than the club you're already at? Not surprising he chose not to go.
Most definitely!

You could imagine at 36 years of age, he might even decide to retire if the family are that settled in London, as any move is only likely to be for a short period in comparison to other life choices.

Most definitely!

You could imagine at 36 years of age, he might even decide to retire if the family are that settled in London, as any move is only likely to be for a short period in comparison to other life choices.
36, blimey! I'm at that age where it's shocking to realize that the elder statesmen in sport are younger than I am.

Well with his experience he could be an adviser for the dangers of substance abuse!

I don't see him being difficult behind the scenes but it's odd.
It's all rather sad how its ended/ending.

Hugo's Spurs career was a near-perfect example of living long enough to see yourself become a villain.

I feel like his peak year was 14-15.

He arrived being a very modern sweeper keeper and leaves an outdated one (lack of quality distribution). The game truly does evolve.

It’s just very weird because he was very clear soon as last season ended that he intended to leave and then he turned numerous offers to do so.

Lloris told French newspaper Nice-Matin: “We are coming to an important moment, whether for the club or for me. It’s the end of an era. I have desires for other things, I will ask myself quietly to study what will be possible.”

“The Frenchman did not rule out a return to Nice, where he started his senior career before moving to Lyon and then north London.“

Seems to me he overrated his attractiveness in the market and just expected to easily find a first team role at a top club and that didn’t happen.

It’s just very weird because he was very clear soon as last season ended that he intended to leave and then he turned numerous offers to do so.

Lloris told French newspaper Nice-Matin: “We are coming to an important moment, whether for the club or for me. It’s the end of an era. I have desires for other things, I will ask myself quietly to study what will be possible.”

“The Frenchman did not rule out a return to Nice, where he started his senior career before moving to Lyon and then north London.“

Seems to me he overrated his attractiveness in the market and just expected to easily find a first team role at a top club and that didn’t happen.
Feels like he's having a mid life crisis and hasn't come to terms he ain't that good anymore and still expecting to be a No1 at the a decent club.

:dierno::tanguythumb::llorishowudoin:

He'd had 3 months to come to terms with those sorts of things. It's not like he was making that decision with an hours notice. The precise location maybe, but as he said, it's "his" city. So he knows and loves the place.

Back
Top Bottom