Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Guido 🇺🇦

"Legacy Fan"
Directly after the incident, of course... They then sent him to said neurologist; so it's not been ignored, has it?

Concussion protocols were also different back then (I'm not citing this as a catagoric excuse btw.)

At which point, logically, culpability shifts towards the neurologist in terms of diagnosis.

Correction: Hiding the signs of concussion for 9 months.

I'd like to think the club would be feeling concern right now (not to mention seeking to improve their handling of these things regardless), but bearing in mind Jan's expressed outlook; wagging the finger as you are seems out of synch with the little that we (as in you and I) actually know.
I am aware that there are many things not known about concussion, BUT there are also many things that are known and how serious it actually is, like how long it can take to recover and that some people don't have any symptoms until weeks after the knock. These facts alone should mean that a) a player should be monitored for a significant period following the incident b) dialogue with the player must also be constant for a significant period of time, ensuring his environment is comfortable for him to communicate how he's feeling.

They failed to spot his symptoms for NINE months! They failed to attribute his drop in form following the incident might be a symptom!

Culpability isn't passed over following one visit, it's a potential concussion, it may weeks for symptoms to show, so it should be as above constant monitoring of the player following a knock to the head, this means it's our staff (The Club) that are responsible for him every day.

All I have to go on is a) what I saw of the incident b) the clubs' response and their public statement c) Jan's interview. If a player comes out and says they had symptoms of a concussion for 9 months following a knock to the head and the Club were totally oblivious to it, then unequivocally I'd say we fucked up.

Airfixx

Death to petro-murder-ball sports-washing.
I am aware that there are many things not known about concussion, BUT there are also many things that are known and how serious it actually is, like how long it can take to recover and that some people don't have any symptoms until weeks after the knock. These facts alone should mean that a) a player should be monitored for a significant period following the incident b) dialogue with the player must also be constant for a significant period of time, ensuring his environment is comfortable for him to communicate how he's feeling.

They failed to spot his symptoms for NINE months! They failed to attribute his drop in form following the incident might be a symptom!

Culpability isn't passed over following one visit, it's a potential concussion, it may weeks for symptoms to show, so it should be as above constant monitoring of the player following a knock to the head, this means it's our staff (The Club) that are responsible for him every day.

All I have to go on is a) what I saw of the incident b) the clubs' response and their public statement c) Jan's interview. If a player comes out and says they had symptoms of a concussion for 9 months following a knock to the head and the Club were totally oblivious to it, then unequivocally I'd say we fucked up.

Personally I'd want a lot more 'meat on the bones' of this scenario; especially more of an actual understanding of the processes, paths of diagnosis etc. than we currently have before I felt cock-shure in pointing the finger so intently.... Evidently, you don't see such a necessity.

We won't be agreeing on the matter any time soon.

Mrs Perryman

Supporter
I'm a Cockney Malteser 👑
Injury to Jan☹
Jan Vertonghen will miss the two-legged Champions League play-off against PSV after picking up an injury against Spartak Moscow. The Belgium international will not train for the next three weeks and will only return to the starting line-up after the international break in mid-September.

The central defender was replaced by Morato at half-time due to an injury that, according to Record, is a muscle rupture in the left thigh calf. Thus, the Belgian will also miss the League matches against Arouca, Gil Vicente and Tondela.
:(

Top Bottom