Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

VigilantDescriptiveJoey.gif

on the commentary on match of the day the geezer said "thats created quite a buzz around white hart lane, they've not seen that before..."

except erm, yeah.. we have... he's done it before..

Embarrassing commentary, i think the buzz around the lane was more like "fucking hell, he nearly stepped on the ball and let them in at our goalie there"

That's his natural position in the national team
Its a forced position he plays because we lack decent LB's ... nothing natural about it

Anyway , saw an interesting interview with him after yesterday's nightmare

He said that he knows his body language is atrocious at the moment , he doesnt feel happy and is very frustrated by the lack of quality on the pitch (not players individually but as a team) and that he realises his attitude is a negative one, that he is not playing at the level he should be

oh and that the Moose is the most important player of the team, without Dembele we are a lot weaker and everybody in the team knows it

"I can definitely find me in his criticism. He talked the whole group, and I feel also addressed me... [new contract] ...I heard nothing from Tottenham, season still has 10 games and I 'm suspended for second leg of Europa League. I focus now until the very end of the season"

Think attitude to Jan is wrong. Should definitely be offered a new contract, is still a class defender. If he forces a move, then that's different.

"I can definitely find me in his criticism. He talked the whole group, and I feel also addressed me... [new contract] ...I heard nothing from Tottenham, season still has 10 games and I 'm suspended for second leg of Europa League. I focus now until the very end of the season"

Think attitude to Jan is wrong. Should definitely be offered a new contract, is still a class defender. If he forces a move, then that's different.

Based on what? The memories of him last season being a decent player? He has been the most frustrating player to watch this year for me, his attitude stinks and he is not even in Bale mood where is playing for a move - He is playing as if he has given up on us altogether. Let him go to where he wants to be for £15-18M. I can seriously see Man City coming knocking for him.

He doesn't deserve a new contract, that usually entails a pay rise. I would be sick if I knew he got one after this season.

Although I empathise with him, having players that continually speak out about the manager in public is a bit of an issue to me - regardless of whether our manager is talent, credible, reputable or not.

I don't think it's clear enough to say whether he definitely isn't having a go or definitely is, but if it were the case then, despite his talent, I'd prefer someone less Redknappy

Our current manager is in a position where he could do a lot of damage to the squad (if he has not already), knowing that he is not going to be there after this season. Super Jan should be offered another contract and maybe this will rev him up a bit.

Usually when I under perform at work I get a bollocking and a meeting to find out why i'm being a useless twat - not a pay rise.
I agree, I guess what I am trying to say is that if a climate of uncertainty is present within the playing squad it has to be sorted. Would like Super Jan to put a cork in it, pull his head in and play like we know he can.

i feel although he's been thinking at anything except his spurs career lately, he's still our best bet for the defensive compartment and we should try to find some solution to keep him. if Verts goes, what do we have left in CB? for me, Dawson and Kaboul are not reliable anymore as first team starters, Vlad is still not quite a confirmed signing in my opinion, although i would like to believe that, he still needs games before we can say for sure he's what we need. in these conditions, i feel we need to try to keep verts at least until the end of the year: if with a new manager (preferably van gaal) he doesn't get back on track, we can sell him next winter. but i feel that a change of staff might just boost his morale enough to do great things for us again.

Based on what? The memories of him last season being a decent player? He has been the most frustrating player to watch this year for me, his attitude stinks and he is not even in Bale mood where is playing for a move - He is playing as if he has given up on us altogether. Let him go to where he wants to be for £15-18M. I can seriously see Man City coming knocking for him.

He doesn't deserve a new contract, that usually entails a pay rise. I would be sick if I knew he got one after this season.

Jan's not been perfect by any stretch, but I don't think any of our defence have showered themselves in glory this season. Can't ship people out after one bad season of performances/poor attitude - by that logic we'd have let Ade go after AVB's first season.

Don't want to put all my eggs in the LvG basket, but an Ajax legend would (imo) get the best out of people like Jan and Christian.

Jan's not been perfect by any stretch, but I don't think any of our defence have showered themselves in glory this season. Can't ship people out after one bad season of performances/poor attitude - by that logic we'd have let Ade go after AVB's first season.

Don't want to put all my eggs in the LvG basket, but an Ajax legend would (imo) get the best out of people like Jan and Christian.

AVB tried to get rid of him didn't he .... Fenerbache or something?

Yeah because he should be happy and fully motivated playing for Tottenham right now. Jan wants to win things and he's probably realized that aint gonna happen at Daniel Levys CL Feeder Club aka Spurs. We've just sold Bale then fired our young manager full of potential and replaced him with a complete clueless novice who shouldn't of even been here to begin with. I'm like fuck it right now too because we're being run like a chucky fuckn cheese. Jan will be out the door like a whippet this summer unless we pull in a van Gaal or the like to move the club forward again.

Back
Top Bottom