Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2581599/Tottenham-vs-Woolwich-Jan-Vertonghen-says-Tim-Sherwood-criticism-justified.html?ico=sport^headlines

Vertonghen, 26, is keen to stay at Spurs beyond the summer but he has not been offered a new contract either.

'I have heard nothing from Tottenham,' he said. 'I have not spoken to the club, but I assume for 100 per cent I will [be staying at the club].'

---------------------

Interesting

When it's put into brackets like that, it means he didn't actually say it. The journo presumes what he is saying.

This is the full quote "I have not spoken to the club, but I assume for 100 per cent I will."

Could mean anything.

When it's put into brackets like that, it means he didn't actually say it. The journo presumes what he is saying.

This is the full quote "I have not spoken to the club, but I assume for 100 per cent I will."

Could mean anything.

What could it mean then? He obviously wasn't asked "Are you leaving in the summer".

"Will you start against Woolwich?" Why would he have said "I haven't spoken to the club"

It only seems logical that he was asked about whether he was staying.

What could it mean then? He obviously wasn't asked "Are you leaving in the summer".

"Will you start against Woolwich?" Why would he have said "I haven't spoken to the club"

You're seeing things that are not there. All he is saying is that he will talk to the club. Isn't really much is it..

You're seeing things that are not there. All he is saying is that he will talk to the club. Isn't really much is it..

He didn't say that though, only "I haven't spoken to the club yet".

It's only a bit interesting, better than him saying "We'll see what happens in the summer". I wasn't just going to presume he's staying because of that lone quote.

Vertonghen has a contract to 2016 with an option for another two years. Not sure we need to be offering a new one just yet.

Could mean anything.
The full quote is actually -
"The season is still ten games and I'm suspended for the second leg of the Europa League. I focus now at the very end of the season. Whether I play at Tottenham next year? I have not spoken with the club, but I'm one hundred percent of it."

So it wasn't presumed by the journalist, it was just added as necessary since the quote is out of context.

Taken from this page and translated http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cnt/dmf20140314_01025850

"The season is still ten games and I'm suspended for the second leg of the Europa League. I focus now at the very end of the season. Whether I play at Tottenham next year? I have not spoken with the club, but I'm one hundred percent of it."

So it wasn't presumed by the journalist, it was just added as necessary since the quote is out of context.

Taken from this page and translated http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cnt/dmf20140314_01025850

If he's committing that's great news as he either cares somewhat about the club, or knows something about the future we don't yet..

(is it weird/telling he doesn't say he's waiting to speak to manager; but the club?)

If he's committing that's great news as he either cares somewhat about the club, or knows something about the future we don't yet..

(is it weird/telling he doesn't say he's waiting to speak to manager; but the club?)

Probably not, But from the rest of the interview I'm not sure he's convinced by Sherwood... At all. Still though, he's a must at the back with Dawson and Chiriches out and if Sherwood neglects to play him he (Sherwood) is gone. Maybe he knows something, maybe he doesn't. Too much bloody politics in football these days.

Last edited:

GREAT to hear! Hell of a player.

His quote is disjointed, ambiguous, disloyal call it what you like. Vertonghen thinks he's a better player than he actually is. I'm not saying he's average but stick him in a CL squad and he would be just that, a squad player. I effin hate players who get the hump cos they are not in a team that wins every week. If he doesn't want to wear the badge then he can fuck off IMO

His quote is disjointed, ambiguous, disloyal call it what you like. Vertonghen thinks he's a better player than he actually is. I'm not saying he's average but stick him in a CL squad and he would be just that, a squad player. I effin hate players who get the hump cos they are not in a team that wins every week. If he doesn't want to wear the badge then he can fuck off IMO

I'm sorry what? I have absolutely no idea how you took that from what I posted...

I'm referring to tabloid quotes banded about over the last few weeks. I may be paranoid about what I read in the press but if we don't get CL then he will be off. IMO

He could be saying i havent spoken to the club but i will, which is what he said.

It could be that he is like others waiting to see who our next credible long term(if we can say that) manager is?

Sounds like he's saying; 'nothing is getting done about anything until the end of the season when the direction of the club gets sorted out'.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone signs an extension under Interim Tim.

"I do not want to look at the table anymore because the gap [to the top four] is very big," said Vertonghen.

"All four sides at the top are stronger than they were last year and we have stayed at the same level. If you see last season, then we did not improve.

"[However], I think we do have the players to achieve Champions League [qualification] and I hope we can achieve it next year."

"All four sides at the top are stronger than they were last year and we have stayed at the same level. If you see last season, then we did not improve.
We improved massively form last season - what a ridiculous comment

Back
Top Bottom