January 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I hear Russian Premier League will have a three month long winter break.
Maybe we can sign someone on loan from there?
avbprayer100.png

Please Please Please Please Please let us sign him in Jan!
Absolutely no chance.
Why would he want to exchange Champions League football (as you probably know, Porto sit at the top of their group) and first place in the Primeira Liga for a team in transition, struggling in the Europa League and the domestic competion?

Damiao won't happen.

We had a chance a couple of seasons ago, but my opinion is that both he and internacional now know his potential worth and realise he could get a bigger club and a lot more money. He has said he wants to stay in Brazil until after the World Cup, can't see him changing his mind on that for us, maybe Real, Barca. Also, contact was made under old management. Who knows what AVB thinks of him?

Zaha would be expensive. Palace want silly money for him. They are top of the Championship and the money earnt from promotion is far in excess of the £20M or so they seem to want for Zaha. I would think he won't move in the summer either if Palace go up... Unless someone makes a big offer. Lets wait and see what he does in the Premier League first

Willian - his performances in CL will have been noted by a lot of clubs. Again, think we may have missed the boat with him. Not sure what his wages are like, but could be a major stumbling block

I can see AVB having a list of Portuguese and Brazilian prospects that he will be looking at, particularly as he spent time scouting in Brazil. Hr wouldn't have necessarily signed anyone in the summer without assessing the squad first. January would be a good time, as the Brazilian league will have finished.

My hope is that as Moutinho was so close in the summer we still have a shot. We apparently had the finance and even personal terms agreed, we have since had 4 months to get agreement with Porto. Its a tenuous hope, I know, but I do think it is possible. Particularly as AVB can point to Moutinho as the main man to help this team based on 4 months of misfiring.

I hold similar hopes of Willian, maintained contact and negotiation leading to another opening.

In either case though it is only going to work if Levy is prepared to simply pay the money, instead of try to eek every penny out of a deal.

Midfield, wing cover/rotation and a striker are the key buys IMO. I think defensively we are fine once injuries pass.

What strikers are available to us? I havent a clue.

Llorente is out of contract in the summer, so I would expect to be on the move in Jan. Though I would also expect bigger fish than us to be in for him.

In the paper the other day Rossi was linked to a premiership club. Currently injured so a real gamble and not a buy for immediate impact, but if he was cheap he could be an inspired puchase.

Ba is constantly touted around. He is a very good striker when played down the middle and could be a sensible short to medium term option for us as cover for Ade.

Shane Long consistenlty impresses me, though I do wonder if he is the sort of player we need.

Remy has been heavily linked over the past couple of windows as well, perhaps we will go back in for him?

Really there doesnt seem to be an abundance of options IMO

Also, Sturridge springs to mind. Widely touted for a move, wont cost more than our magic £15m figure we like to spend on players. Versatile. Young England Intl (Levy will love that) and has worked well with AVB before. Wouldnt be at all surprised to see us in for him.

My hope is that as Moutinho was so close in the summer we still have a shot. We apparently had the finance and even personal terms agreed, we have since had 4 months to get agreement with Porto. Its a tenuous hope, I know, but I do think it is possible. Particularly as AVB can point to Moutinho as the main man to help this team based on 4 months of misfiring.

I hold similar hopes of Willian, maintained contact and negotiation leading to another opening.

This is what I hoped as well, though I get the feeling that if a deal was going to happen on the basis of negotiations in August then it would have been announced by now.

Midfield, wing cover/rotation and a striker are the key buys IMO. I think defensively we are fine once injuries pass.

Agreed, it is in the creative department that we are lacking.

What strikers are available to us? I havent a clue.

Llorente is out of contract in the summer, so I would expect to be on the move in Jan. Though I would also expect bigger fish than us to be in for him.

Just how good is this chap? I hear him spoken about as if he is awesome, but is he really that good?

In the paper the other day Rossi was linked to a premiership club. Currently injured so a real gamble and not a buy for immediate impact, but if he was cheap he could be an inspired puchase.

Ba is constantly touted around. He is a very good striker when played down the middle and could be a sensible short to medium term option for us as cover for Ade.

Remy has been heavily linked over the past couple of windows as well, perhaps we will go back in for him?

There is a question mark above all these players regarding injury. Rossi has just done his knee ligaments, though he is nearly back, we have no idea whether or not he will be able to play to the standard he once had. Remy also has a history of recurring injury. And Ba also has a dodgy knee. If Levy isn't willing to give Ledley a new contract on that basis I doubt he is going to shell out money to buy in players who could spend more time in our wonderful new medical facility than on our wonderful new training pitches,

Shane Long consistenlty impresses me, though I do wonder if he is the sort of player we need.
He does seem to have the attributes that could make him a useful striker. Tenacious, never gives up a kind of Kevin Davies type, though I think that is exactly the role Dempsey could fill. I don't think Long offers anything extra.

Really there doesnt seem to be an abundance of options IMO
There really aren't top quality strikers are rare enough as it is, let alone ones we can afford and want to come to us. This is where we have to be shrewd and try to sign another Berbatov rather than another Rebrov.

I agree another Berbatov is precisely the sort of buy required. Problem is that was achieved through an established scouting network and long term watching and negotiation with the player/club. With AVB and his 4 months in charge, as well as reported potential DOF yet to come, I highly doubt that is a viable option.

For now we will most likely have to trade in more known quantities, hence the not so inspiring options linked above - "good but not great"

I dont think Moutinho is nailed on by any means, but I do think it is possible.

Llorente plays as a lone striker and gets goals. I do think there is a case to argue he is over rated (as is so often the case with high profile players) but he is certainly a high quality player. Not Aguero, Falcao level imo but prbably not far behind - getting him would be a major coup. Hence my thinking bigger clubs will be circling.

Back
Top Bottom