January 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Something that bothers me about English clubs is the lack of decent youth development. Watching the Next Gen series it was painfully obvious that there is a huge gap between the English youth and the Continental ones , not phyisically but skill wise its a world apart. Young english players coming trough are more a fluke than a product of good acadamies (or at least it feels that way).

Something that bothers me about English clubs is the lack of decent youth development. Watching the Next Gen series it was painfully obvious that there is a huge gap between the English youth and the Continental ones , not phyisically but skill wise its a world apart. Young english players coming trough are more a fluke than a product of good acadamies (or at least it feels that way).

Certainly points to that.

England failed to win anything with our Golden generation around the early 2000s, and none of those massive players have been replaced to the same or better level, Hart aside.

And what happens if Hart gets injured?

No strikers coming through that could be like Rooney, or Shearer or Sheringham, Cole...The fact that we were basically beaten by Sweden because they had Zlatan, and we had Welbeck and Sturridge says it all.

No midfielders that remind me of Gerrard in his prime. I dont see any potentially world class full backs, like Neville or A. Cole were.

Just Caulker showing anything really.

I think the picture is brighter than that, personally, but definitely agree with the general point that the youth development in England needs work. There are some clubs that tend to produce a lot of decent players though to be fair, it's just they are the minority.

Even in his prime I was never that big a fan of Gerrard. In fact I think his career is a lot like Torres, one/two good season and thats about it

Even in his prime I was never that big a fan of Gerrard. In fact I think his career is a lot like Torres, one/two good season and thats about it

I know what you mean, I think he's been hampered by injuries alot, but talk about game changer when he was on form. I dont see anyone in the current set thats fit to polish his boots, or anyone coming through (other than Carroll!).

Barry and Milner are passengers, winging it through the sheer immensity of those around them at club level.

Theres no new Lampard either. We slate these players I agree, but its now I see what they offered the national team, by the simple fact we have Cleverly and Wilshere to look to today.

Wilshere is an ok player, but I dont see anything other than OHara to be totally honest. Its easy to stand out when there is fuck all around you.

Look what Sandro and VDV did to him. Made him look like a mug. Small time player, with a big mouth, that happens to play for arse. The team which gets you to the world cup by virtue of sitting on their bench for four months (Walcott.....another pile of shit)

Gerrard can certainly be a matchwinner, though I have always thought it comes at a price. When you sit and actually watch what he produces it really is shocking. His single biggest contribution is, IMO, loss of possession.

The guy hasnt a brain in his head, is a glory seeking and selfish player who is idolised because 1/100 wild shots go in and get a result. The cost of the other 99 could outweigh that one that went in...

Though I do understand your point, there isnt another matchwinner making his way through

As to this

Wilshere is an ok player, but I dont see anything other than OHara to be totally honest. Its easy to stand out when there is fuck all around you.

Look what Sandro and VDV did to him. Made him look like a mug. Small time player, with a big mouth, that happens to play for arse. The team which gets you to the world cup by virtue of sitting on their bench for four months (Walcott.....another pile of shit)

Dont get me started! Such an average and vastly over rated player. I would LOVE to have an understanding of why people think he is so great. Watched the Utd game the other week with a gooner mate, it was hilarious. Before the game Sky were beating the drum with "JACKS BACK" segments, interviews, highlights and general over-egging. My mate was relishing it. I asked him what Wilshire did and got told "Everything! Shooting, passing, tackling..."

Through the game a made a point of noting his impact.
Wilshite upends a player and conceeds a needless foul "Oh! Thats what he does"
Wilshite gives the ball away time and again "Oh! Thats what he does"
Wilshite shoots wildly when a pass was the sensible move "Oh! Thats what he does"
This went on until he got sent off "Oh! Thats what he does"

My mate was livid, it was hilarious. I think there was only one pass in his time on the pitch where I noted it was decent play

Gerrard can certainly be a matchwinner, though I have always thought it comes at a price. When you sit and actually watch what he produces it really is shocking. His single biggest contribution is, IMO, loss of possession.

Got to disagree with that Listy, Gerrard carried Liverpool for much of the noughties, it's no coincidence that when he started getting injured more often they started to slip down the league. I think he was woefully wasted by England managers who wanted to try and shoehorn him and Lampard into the same midfield. Playing down the left wing in the world cup for example. Gerrards strengths are driving the team through the middle of the park.

My boss always calls him "Stevie Me" which I think perfectly sums him up.

I am naturally drawn to a team, rather than a collection of players/system set up to suit one individual.

Gerrard is the epitome of that IMHO. He isnt a player with the intelligence to play within a system for the greater benefit. Only within a system designed to suit his wildcard nature.

He is capable of amazing things, and whenever he has had a prolonged spell of form it is no surprise that Liverpools results have improved. Mind you, take the main component out of a team designed to suit that component and is it any wonder if it falters?

Gerrard couldnt be trusted in a midfield two because he cant hold his position for love nor money.
He was best utilised on the wing by Bentiez originally because thats the only place he could be played without screwing the team at the time. It suited his up and down running style, but not his ego

Eventually Benitez settles on Gerrard in front of Alonso/Mascherano. These two players were criminally underatted in that side as Gerrard took the plaudits.

Why did he take the plaudits? Because he was afforded NO defensive responsibility, and by virtue of Alonso being a quarterback/provider no designated creative responsibility either. He was a total luxury left to do what the hell he wanted. Which meant he had freedom to run at teams and shoot from anywhere as often as he liked. He is a very decent player when it comes to covering ground and shooting, and so it is no surprise he was getting goals and such.

Compare and contrast to Lampard, who at the time of Mourinho coming in was expected to lose his place as he was also considered a luxury and Mourinho would not appreciate him in his rigid team/system based approach. How it actually worked out was Lampard proved he had the intelligence in possession and positionally to be a very valued member of the side who could also get his shots in (and I believe consistently out score Gerrard).

The two players are often compared but are IMO poles apart.

What are the general feelings about Zaha? I seem to remember seeing him once or twice last season and he reminded me of a kid in my year at school, yeah he was good I suppose, but there's no way he knew what he was doing most of the time. He just had bandy legs that did some wierd shit. How was I supposed to know what he was going to do next if he didn't?

:avbcringe:

Though maybe he's matured...

I think Zaha is quality. He's the best player outside the premier league by a country mile. Teams are putting two or three men on him just to try to subdue him.

Zaha might be another one of those players we can get now, but will become impossible if we hesitate too long. I'm gonna throw another name out there: Yevhen Konoplyanka. Looked very good at the Euros and still plays for a relatively small club (Dnipro).

I think Zaha is quality. He's the best player outside the premier league by a country mile. Teams are putting two or three men on him just to try to subdue him.
I seem to remember thinking Bobby Zamora was the best player outside the Premier League by a country mile at one point... Then we signed him and the rest is history.

Fwiw I don't know why Zaha is in the Jan 13 window thread as they're not gonna sell him halfway through the season to anyone.

Back
Top Bottom