January 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Torres is fucked. I had thought it might be a case of broken but fixable but watching him play is painful; he spends more time on his arse, waving his arms and saying "me"?

I have lost touch with European football in the last year or so, so have no real idea of players abroad who might be available, other than Huntelaar (but that is hardly surprising).

Oh; Willian would be a great signing.

Torres is fucked. I had thought it might be a case of broken but fixable but watching him play is painful; he spends more time on his arse, waving his arms and saying "me"?

I don't think he is beyond repair. He needs to get away from the British press to be honest. A stint at a club in a less competitive league would do him the world of good. Though he will likely end up at a Spanish club.

£20m is a shit warchest tbf

He might get ONE of those players with that money. The papers have just picked up on the fact we didn't spend £20 million on Moutinho in the summer so assume we have it in the bank to spend. Then they just pluck a load of players out of their asses and say we are going on a spree.

639px-Britney_gun_boobs.jpg

War chest?

that is one bony chest to be having a war with.

I'd like to know where all our money has gone. I read that in the past five years we have net spent £5m. I appreciate money is put aside for training ground, stadium development but surely we have more to spend than an additional £20m

What is the cut-off figure for a warchest?

£20m can only just about make the grade.

Most windows we end up about break even with sales covering buys more or less.

If we have the ability to spend net £20m in a window that is really good IMO.

Last summer we were on the cusp of selling Dawson for £10m. If we made that move now immediately we have £30m to spend, thats basically Moutinho, or Pranjic and Willian (if we got a good deal).

Looking at the squad there are a number of players we could sell off for a couple of million each to bring cash in, not all sales have to be big money. Gomes, Bentley, Jenas...

It can all add up very quickly.

The only problem with January windows is that often big moves just dont happen, so it is very challenging

that is one bony chest to be having a war with.

I'd like to know where all our money has gone. I read that in the past five years we have net spent £5m. I appreciate money is put aside for training ground, stadium development but surely we have more to spend than an additional £20m

Our wage bill has increased dramatically in that time, particularly since Redknapp came in (not blaming him, more success = more demand on wages). Its amazing how much is spent on these. Then as you say there are the developments we are undertaking, purchasing the land for the stadium, financing the training complex (which looks amazing) and trying to finance the stadium design and build itself...

The only problem with January windows is that often big moves just dont happen, so it is very challenging

I think it's the time of year people are likely to panic a little and buy the likes of Gomes, Bentley and Jenas.

And whatever happened to all that guff about us suddenly having loads of money from a massive investment ?

I think it's the time of year people are likely to panic a little and buy the likes of Gomes, Bentley and Jenas.

And whatever happened to all that guff about us suddenly having loads of money from a massive investment ?

Was just that, guff - was never confirmed was it?

Good shout on the cast offs. People often look to pad out the squad a bit, these guys are perfect for that.

I see us as being in a different position in some ways to a normal January. We are rebuilding, new manager, new ideas etc - this is an extension of that instead of panic buying.

AVB had the summer to get started, which was largely rushed. Jan represents the first window where he now knows his squad, has had a chance to identify what he needs and indeed who he wants to target. Its the first window he has had the opportunity to plan for, so is quite interesting IMO.

Back
Top Bottom